What's your favourite camping meal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm just thinking about the Moot we're considering in February and having a theme of cooking for it, so that got me wondering about what people like to eat the most when they're camping.

I like ponassing fish, that mixed with some rice is lovely. I'd like to do a lot more Dutch Oven cooking, at the moment it's fairly basic stuff. Of course, a good fry up is very tasty...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
February, gotta be a thick, hearty beef stew and herby dumplings. Good with thick slices of brown bread or potatoes. I like bread because it's easy and you can mop your bowl with it.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Totally unhealthy and equally unimaginative but given breakfast is truly the most important meal of the day when living outdoors I love good sausages, eggs and smoked back bacon with fresh bread.

Sorry!

K

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suppose it depends on the season and the location. Camping on a lake in Summer it's probably gonna be fried, fresh caught fish for me. In the West, it's probably a good cowboy breakfast. in deer camp it's whatever I can spoon out of a can.

I guess I'm saying I don't really have a favorite as such, but everything eaten outside and in it's proper place just tastes better.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
If backpacking, my favourite camping meal is steak or chicken fajitas. The old el paso meal kits are super simple, add in some peppers and onion, maybe a bit of cheese and you have one fine meal that can be easily cooked in a single pan.

However, a sausage cooked on a stick over the hot embers of a fire is a very close second. Tastes great and evokes a lot of happy memories from my days in the cubs/scouts.

If I'm car camping then it's all about the dutchy. Pulled pork is one of my favourites. Simply sit a pork shoulder joint on top of a bed of carrots/onions, season, add a bit of liquid (water/cider) to moisten and cook on the edge of the fire (covering the lid with coals) for a few hours. I usually serve it in a brioche bun and some bbq sauce.

Lasagne is also very nice in the dutch oven and not as difficult to cook as one might imagine.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I really enjoy cooking fresh caught Wild Brown Trout skewered & butterflied over the fire... or a nice side of Salmon :D
But as a novelty...a suckling pig / Venison cooked slowly in a hangi is always a bonus..!!

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
As a breakfast I find it hard to beat fried Haggis it really sets you up for the morning. With the dutch oven I think my most successful dish is Lamb tajine, dutch oven roast new potatoes are also good.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Steak in a roll cooked directly on the embers
just put the meat on the coals leave a min or two, turn over and cook for a similar time
flick the coals that are stuck onto the meat off.
straight into a roll, no butter or sauce. it's not needed
it's amazing how good that is. you might think cooking on the coals is too harsh and would burn the meat but actually I think it seals the juices in and makes the steak amazing

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I guess it depends how hungry I am but I do love a good stew. I'm also quite fond of taking out those almost cooked bread rolls. Nothing like freshly cooked bread. ;) Andy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
One we use a lot is ham and lentil soup. Dead easy.

Chop up a pack of smoked bacon, or gammon steak, or chorizo. Add to pan and allow the fat to render. Add chopped onion and sweat off. Add water and a Knorr Ham stockcube. Add lentils, the tiny yellow ones cook quickly and save on fuel if that's an issue. Garlic and smoked paprika can be added, but it's fine as it is.

When lentils are dissolving and soup has thickened serve with big chunks of bread.

Brynglas

If I'm car camping, my paella pan comes with me, a 30cm pan for two or three of us, or my monster 60cm pan for a big group. Paella cooked on the fire is an absolute treat.
If I'm backpacking though I prefer to stick with simple lighweight food, cous cous, pasta, rice etc. I'm a big fan of polish sausage, cheese and oatcakes as well.

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE