What's your every day pocket knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Probably a real noobie question, but can someone tell me what edc stands for? Three letters is too short for the search facility. Is it Every Day........Cutter?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
scanker said:
Probably a real noobie question, but can someone tell me what edc stands for? Three letters is too short for the search facility. Is it Every Day........Cutter?

Two out of three ain't bad....
...the "C" is for carry!
on account of you carrying it everyday ;)

Ogri the trog

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
clcuckow said:
Hi All,

... what is your every day, shove it in your pocket, town, office, knife and what you think is the best....

Christopher
Back in my youth (Wolf cub days) I saved up all my pocket money to buy a small folder. I have always carried with me ever since, and although much abused, it’s never let me down. To my deep joy I’ve just discovered they are still made. What is it ? This one http://www.premiercutlery.co.uk/show_item/pocket_knives/penknives/1112
by Taylor’s Eye Witness. I really like the shape – very comfortable - and the positive action, it takes a good edge too. Still manufactured after 50 years it’s got to have something going for it.

Pleased to hear Smithy (post of 04-06-2005, 00:37) likes his from the same outfit. Sheffield people know a thing or two about making knives. :)

By the way, I've no conection with the firm etc.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
malcolmc said:
Back in my youth (Wolf cub days) I saved up all my pocket money to buy a small folder. I have always carried with me ever since, and although much abused, it’s never let me down. To my deep joy I’ve just discovered they are still made. What is it ? This one http://www.premiercutlery.co.uk/show_item/pocket_knives/penknives/1112
by Taylor’s Eye Witness. I really like the shape – very comfortable - and the positive action, it takes a good edge too. Still manufactured after 50 years it’s got to have something going for it.

Pleased to hear Smithy (post of 04-06-2005, 00:37) likes his from the same outfit. Sheffield people know a thing or two about making knives. :)

By the way, I've no conection with the firm etc.

Thanks for the link, I really fancy the wooden handled sheeps foot/penknife blade job!

I come from just south of Shef' and members of my mothers family where in the cutlary/steel trade so I have a emotional connection with it's products. Apart from issue jack knives, Rodgers I-XL etc are there still meny penkinives being made in Sheffield? Any one hve links?

Thanks

Tom

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Zammo said:
Just wondering is this thing illegal, as it has a locking blade?
Yup, locking blades are a no-no, unless you have adequate reason, same as fixed blades and blades over 3" in length.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I use mine at work a lot, not sure if thats a legal reason to take it with me to and from work though?

Feb 10, 2007
London
I carry a Leatherman Kick on my belt all the time. Very basic but useful and i do also sometimes carry my swiss army rucksack in my work bag but as it has a locking blade i probably should leave it at home. Again this knife has a good cutting edge and is very useful.

All the best....Paul

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I carry a Benchmade Doug ritter RSK mini. I use it for everything. I've always liked the quality of the Benchmades, and was looking for a simple folder, which is exactly what mine is. No frills, just a knife.

95dudefire

Feb 17, 2013
Berkshire
I carry a cheap multitool that has a nice blade and a couple of saws out and about and a 5" pruning knife at home and when I'm working probably the best £15 I ever spent

trubliphone

Mar 10, 2014
USA
As w/ most of the folks on this list, I have had a SAK for as long as I can remember. I think my first one would have been about age 8.

My current model is a Huntsman. This is almost perfect; it is only missing a philips screwdriver. My eldest son has the exact same knife w/ the corkscrew swapped out for a philips screwdriver. His would be perfect if only it had a corkscrew (but, then, I suppose kids don't need to open up many bottles of wine).

My SAK always comes with me; it is my keychain. And it sees use every single day - whether it be opening packages, fixing kids' toys, removing splinters, or basic DIY around the house. I feel naked without it.

As a good-little-bushcrafter, I also own a Mora Companion. This goes with me when I am camping/hiking. In an effort to save weight, I haven't been taking my SAK with me while I also have the Mora (and yes, I do feel like I'm hiking naked). To compensate for the lack of a SAK during those times, I bring w/ me a Leatherman Squirt PS4. This has a not-quite-as-good pair of scissors as my SAK as well as a mini pair of pliers.

Prior to getting into bushcraft, I had a CRKT Side Hawg as my hiking/camping. This is quite a nice little knife for basic cutting, but not suited for processing wood.

My father-in-law gave me an Opinel which is incredibly sharp, but I just don't have a use for it w/ these other knives. It generally lives in our "tray-of-crap" near the door with keys and torches and so on.

Finally, for emergencies, I had a Gerber Suspension. But this broke when trying to loosen a particularly stubborn nut.

-----

I have always thought that Victorinox (or whoever) ought to have a service where you can design-your-own SAK. That is, choose the exact toolset you want (within reason) and they would build it for you.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
These days I often carry the EKA Swede 10. Bomb-proof and nearly eliminates the need for a fixed blade on many trips. Other times I opt for my opinel No8 or victorinox huntsman.

2014-01-01+13.25.20.jpg

P1120032.JPG

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE