What's your every day pocket knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A few folks have made posts mentioning that they have no need to carry a knife, which I do not doubt, however I use one daily for an abundance of tasks, I would miss it.

I carry a Doug Ritter RSK in my pocket and a Leatherman Wave in my bumbag and only this morning the wheel on my son's pushchair fell off when we were in the park, without the multitool I wouldn't have been able to undo the cotter pin to re-fit it.

Add to that...

Peeling fruit, cutting bread, cutting dried sausage. Opening bags of milk (with the scissors on the Wave). Fixing a gate lock in the woods nearby (making dowels from a branch and screwing the fitting back into the now worn holes with the Wave), cutting up bits of ribbon fired from those party popper things and left hanging from trees etc. etc.

:)

In Hungary, the legal carry is any knife fixed or folding with a blade length of less then 8 cm. If you want to carry something larger you should have a reason to do so.

Last edited:

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
b6c69f5fda2b9752714629ce16eaabd2.jpg

Opinel no6 modded with a quick remove lock ring and a few other little asthenosphere changes. Great little pocket knife.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Here's my EDC - a SAK Woodsman - large blade, small blade, opener layer, in-line philips, magnifying glass and woodsaw - my ideal set up.
Pictured here with a stone ball I found in the New Forest - intriguing.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Here's my EDC - a SAK Woodsman - large blade, small blade, opener layer, in-line philips, magnifying glass and woodsaw - my ideal set up.
Pictured here with a stone ball I found in the New Forest - intriguing.

The "stone ball" looks like the marble they used to have in Codds bottle tops, you pushed it (away from a rubber seal) in to open it and the fizz of the carbonated contents kept it in position after you upended it.
coddillustration_small.jpg

coddindianeck.jpg

attachment.php

Sure I've seen white ones as well as clear marble ones.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
The "stone ball" looks like the marble they used to have in Codds bottle tops, you pushed it (away from a rubber seal) in to open it and the fizz of the carbonated contents kept it in position after you upended it.
coddillustration_small.jpg

coddindianeck.jpg

attachment.php

Sure I've seen white ones as well as clear marble ones.

Cheers for the info demographic, but I think it's too big for a lemonade stopper - its diameter is 3cm. :beerchug:

Dax Diego

Aug 8, 2015
Spain
The stone ball has nothing to do with the bottle. It is a bullet and a very common piece of ammunition for an arquebus that was replaced the musket and subsequently replaced by the rifle. The bullet may date back to the 15/16th century and collectors may pay well for such an item with detailed history of find date and exact location.

Cheers
Dax

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
The stone ball has nothing to do with the bottle. It is a bullet and a very common piece of ammunition for an arquebus that was replaced the musket and subsequently replaced by the rifle. The bullet may date back to the 15/16th century and collectors may pay well for such an item with detailed history of find date and exact location.

Cheers
Dax
Could indeed be what it is. Pre musket firearms where generally quite large calibre and stone projectiles weren't uncommon.

4freek

Jul 15, 2015
Canada
At the moment its an Opinel #7

Might be a bit big though, I'm just recently trying out these knives and may pick up a smaller one. I really like them

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands

Cheers
Dax

Cheers for the info Dax! I'll do some research based on that - I found it in the New Forest about a month ago.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Here's my Opinel No.7 with the stone ball I found. I agree with you 4Freek, the Opi is a great knife. I would like to try a 6 and an 8 or 9 for size.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE