What's your coffee set up?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I have a Vietnamese coffee maker thing, which I really like. But it does take a bit of time, and can loose a bit of heat.
What do you use to make great coffee when in the wilds?

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use normal filter coffee in a billy can, boil the water add a good 4 heap spoons of the coffee with some cardomen seeds (5-6) let it stew for a few minutes until the coffee powder/granules have sank to the bottom, then carefully pour it into your mug!
I was told to use cardomen seeds by Jungle_re's Dad, and I can tell you it makes a really good coffee!

Last edited:

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
Cowboy coffee for me boil ya water put 3 spoons of filter coffee in the boiled water let it brew for 5 mins and drop a small stick in to break the surface tension and pour very slowly in to ones drinking vessal

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Mostly use Taylor's Hot Lava Java in a Smart Café cafetiere-mug, but if I forget to take it then cowboy coffee is fine. When Mrs Bilmo is with me we use a 2 pint percolator.

+1 for cardamom. :)

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
That instant coffee Starbucks sells sure doesn't taste like instant...almost as good as the real thing. Second best to that is making it cowboy style with
ultra finely ground coffee, then just strain the silt through yer teeth.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I like to use thew Carte Noire cappucino sachets they make and excellent coffee and so easy to carry - one sachet for the milk and one which gives a shot of expresso, mix them together and a frothy coffee is born.

But I will have to try the cowboy style next time I go out as I don't take sugar or milk it to will be easy to lug along

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I've been experimenting with a little trick I read about recently. It seems to work reasonably well:

Just boil up your water in your billy can or whatever, add as much coffee as you like and let it steep for a bit, then flick a little cold water over the surface of the liquid (I just dip my fingers in some water and flick the drops); then tap the side of the billy fairly firmly a few times with your spoon or something.

The theory is that all the grounds should then sink to the bottom. Then you just carefully pour off the liquid into your cup.

As I say, it seems to work OK - you might get a very small number of grounds in your mouth, but so what?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm usually a tea drinker, but for a luxury camp I'll take a stove-top espresso pot (aka "moka pot" or "macchinetta"). If it's not made under pressure, it's not proper coffee - I'd rather not bother. For the coffee itself, I've usually got "Durita Rebeldia" - organic Italian roast espresso from the Mut Vitz growers co-operative in Chiapas, Mexico.

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
Another vote for the smart cafe, and something like lava java or cafe direct no 5.
"If you can get a spoon in it to see if it will stand up, it too weak"

MB

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
I dont have one yet, mainly as i dont drink as much coffee, but from what i've heard and seen the Aeropress seems to brew a really good coffee.

Feb 6, 2011
none
Used to be boring old 3 in 1 But at the last meet Mayobushcraft from Florida , brought a Blazing Saddles ,type pot affair and if you like coffee any thing else is mediocre

Feb 6, 2011
none
Also take the shield off your uco candle , turn it upside down put it on your mug ,put a paper filter on it , fresh coffee , pour boiling water ,allow to filter through , not bad (another Mayobushcraft tip )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE