What's with the spam?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 1, 2005
UK
I've just received spam entitled "From one BCUK member to another" purporting to be from the Canvas Repair Centre , signed 'Tony', plugging a couple of sites whose links were apparently removed from the forum. It was sent to a large number of forum users, in such a way that all e-mail addresses were visible to all recipients.

I don't give a damn whether the person sending the e-mail disagrees with the rules of this forum or not, or whether they want to plug their site or not, this is still unsolicited commercial e-mail and I such I don't want it. If the person sending it is a member of this site, they are abusing their membership in their misuse of other people's e-mail.

Whoever sent this - I will be reporting you to your ISP for sending out spam.
To the mods of the forum - can you please set up the system so that if we must enter an e-mail address for contact purposes, it can't be harvested from the forum. If, by chance, this spam was sent out by a mod, you can delete my account from this forum. This kind of crap is not what I signed up for.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
That is very disappointing.

Can I suggest that you forward the e-mail to the Admins, including the full headers. I am positive that this would not be an action carried out by the Mods of this site. BCUK is very protective of members privacy, particularly given recent spam abuse targetting members.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Just to add it seems that the canvas repair centre is affiliated with:

The Canvas Repair Centre is just part of the UKCampsite.co.uk camping and caravanning company directory

It might be worth having a word with that website or directly to:

http://www.canvasrepaircentre.co.uk/

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Just so everyone can understand the situation, I have copied an email below just received from someone called Tony with an email from @canvasrepaircentre.co.uk. Basically a personal beef about some comments and issues with BCUK which I have no knowledge of and certainly have no desire to receive.

He admits in the email that he used software to 'hack' the forum and obtain personal details (email addreses) of quite a few members including me Normally the email addresses are not visible, just a form to fill and send.

I hope this matter is dealt with swiftly and I too will be contacting his isp to report the spam, presuming it's not a faked email address.

Sorry guys I meant to send this a while ago.

Hi, a quick message from one BCUK member to another, there is a couple of new bushcraft resources for us first, www.bushcraftmagazine.co.uk (Bushcraft & Survival Skills Magazine) which looks like it will be a great magazine with writings from those who we regard as being the ‘masters’ in their field. The second is www.bushtruck.co.uk which is an online magazine with the articles written by Bushtruck School (I Think?) quite a basic site but some good content in the articles and after all it’s all relevant free knowledge. I’m looking to advertise my school in / on both!

Enjoy some time in the wild…

Tony

N.B. If you are concerned about the source of your email address see below:

Sorry… my turn on the soap box! I regard BCUK as a resource for us to look at for information, somewhere to check comments when looking to buy kit and a means of contacting each other. Having been one of the founder members I have always had high regard for the site, this has gradually declined, seeing over the last few years how we treat some members, seeing threads removed and some of the nasty comments we post and allow to remain. What did Ray Mears ever do to any of us?? Why did he have to take legal action? We may not all like his methods or courses but hey – live and let live! Why remove the threads from Bushtruck – O.K. so they were plugging their online magazine but its no threat to BCUK is it? Is it not good for us to know about? Isn’t that why forums are there, to promote the subject and share information? If it’s such a concern why not assign a space for people to post such threads??? More recently I am appalled at the response to the new bushcraft magazine. Let’s support such ventures! Why make accusations then remove their response? I spoke with one of their staff as I was concerned about their supposed methods who made some valid points, it seems to me that what we are allowed to see online is very one sided, we don’t see the P.M’s and emails that the new magazine had from the forum’s administration threatening legal action prior to the magazines removed response, or the P.M. that the mag says it sent with their ‘legal’ letters offering site reviews and expressing a desire to all get along. I have been chatting with a friend who is a moderator and some other pillars in the industry who feel that the initial so called ‘spams’ (though I didn’t receive one) may have been produced in house by BCUK to discredit the new magazine? Funny how the magazine that was due to be produced so long ago has so suddenly – with no recent marketing on the site all came together. A high quality ‘knee-jerk reaction’? Though I don’t know of anyone other than the key BCUK players who have seen a copy. I love bushcraft and may still subscribe to the BCUK mag after an answer to my P.M. (we all deserve a second chance) but I have concerns that I will be getting back material that I have posted along with everything else that I have already seen online. Regarding your email address, this was obtained in a matter of minutes along with everyone else who choose to display them publically by a ingenious piece of software. These sites are not as safe as the administrators say and my advice is if you don’t want mail don’t list your address publically! Sorry if this causes offence but I was so furious at the treatment of Mike at Bushtruck and hey it’s happening again with the next magazine on the scene. Come on boys there’s no room for sour grapes – competition is healthy. I don’t view relevant information as spam especially when sent to a fellow member BUT can understand that you may not condone my actions and perhaps don’t want this ‘one off’ email – I have merely sent this to share the info with you and to try to undo any unfair damage done to these two companies! Enjoy the wild J

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Warrior Librarian said:
To the mods of the forum - can you please set up the system so that if we must enter an e-mail address for contact purposes, it can't be harvested from the forum. If, by chance, this spam was sent out by a mod, you can delete my account from this forum. This kind of crap is not what I signed up for.

I have looked for a link to delete my account from BCUK but there doesn't seem to be one. I could probably get banned quicker.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
If you search a certain well known term on google you might find a way to get banned..... BTW, will I get banned for saying that?

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I don't understand :confused:

Why are you talking about getting banned or deleting your account? Surely you don't think Tony or the mods were behind this spamming? It's clear to me that guy used a nasty little hack type tool to get the info and then misused it. Surely this is a time to stick together, not divide?

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I am not certain these were not harvested some time ago. as far as I know Tony changed the setting about the time that the last spam scandal broke. Up till then the email addresses were displayed but since then they are not.

Vbulletin is pretty good about keeping the info secure so the only way I can see the info having been hacked unless it is because this is the old version of the software, but I do doubt that.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just logged on and guess what? I've got one from the numpty too :rolleyes:
1] Tell admin
2]Report him for spam to his ISP provider

I'm vexed but *all* sites suffer some form of hassle at times, when you consider just how many people access this one daily I suppose we've been lucky so far.
Personally, I'm not going to let a tube like this spoil my fun.
I know admin will try to sort things asap. Chill guys, he's the one with his knickers in a twist.

Cheers,
Toddy

Reactions: tomtom

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
weekend_warrior said:
I don't understand :confused:

Why are you talking about getting banned or deleting your account? Surely you don't think Tony or the mods were behind this spamming? It's clear to me that guy used a nasty little hack type tool to get the info and then misused it. Surely this is a time to stick together, not divide?

If the only way to stop my email address being hacked from here is delete the account then so be it.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I think in user cp you can uncheck the box that's marked "receive email from other members".

That said, I didn't get the email so it's possible they were harvested a while ago.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
scanker said:
I think in user cp you can uncheck the box that's marked "receive email from other members".

That said, I didn't get the email so it's possible they were harvested a while ago.

Thats neither here nor there, my addy still came from here, not happy :nono: :nono:

Aug 1, 2005
UK
scanker said:
Yep, you can, and I now have, as well as changing it to my webmail e-mail address. I knew the option existed, I just (probably naively) assumed that sending e-mail was done in such a way that the address couldn't be mined. It would be nice if that option could be turned off by default though; not much help for us but useful for new members.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
My e-mail has not been hacked from this site and it wan't last time either.

Am I right in thinking the people receiving this spam also got it from the "bushcraft magazine"?

If so the addresses were probably harvested a while ago and there is nothing that can now be done to stop them being used.

Spam filter them out.

This guy obviously has delusions of adequacy if he thinks we want to listen to his snivelling.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Phil562 said:
Thats neither here nor there, my addy still came from here, not happy :nono: :nono:

No one's happy about it, but neither did bcuk deliberately or carelessly leave anyone's email details vulnerable.
I'm not vexed with bcuk, I'm vexed at the cretin who sent me the email. What did he hope to achieve? I'm already on record as admitting that pestering me and my friends like this, is only going to make it even more unlikely that I'll want to buy his preferred magazine, or support his viewpoint.

Cheers,
Toddy

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I had that spam, but not one from the magazine spam episode, I would have thought that given the recent demonstration by this and the BB forum regarding spamming that measures would have been taken to provide security to members. Obviously not the case, interesting to see peoples reaction now this has happened from information taken from this site.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE