What's with the spam?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Careful. This is a completely different sender than the magazine message but yes I did receive both.

That means everyone and his dog has been harvesting emails from here does it?

EDIT this wasn't directed at steve a. As far as I see it this has nothing to do with magazines.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I received the lastest email. I did not receive the spam mail from the magazine though.

I'm not that upset about it. I was relevant to me ie concerned BCUK so i opened it and then deleted it. No big deal.

beowolf762

Settler
Sep 4, 2005
U.P. Michigan
Hi all,
This is my first post on this site and I'm sorry to say it has to do with reporting spam. I hope the admins ban this guy, if indeed he is a member. This is clearly a comercial E-Mail and not an E-mail from "one member to another".This loser admits he hacked into the database to get our E-mail adresses.
Regards, Harold

P.S. I am not going to buy this magazine because of the spam on BB and BCUK

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Tenbears, I never got any spam from the magazine dispite entering the competition on his website, I did get the one from 'Tony' from the canvas repair centre which states he harvested my details from this site.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I had this e-mail, but not the other one.

It is irritating, but let us not lose a sense of proportion here. It is ONE email. Before anti spam, I was receiving over one THOUSAND emails a day. I'm honestly not exaggerating. If you select the email, and then click the 'SPAM' option you will never receive email from him again - hotmail/yahoo/whatever will block it.

The only way that your email address cannot be accessed, or mined, by someone else is to never enter your email address in the first place. Never access the internet.

Every time someone produces software to prevent mining for email addresses, someone else produces software to overcome that. It is an ongoing battle. There are some very talented hackers who can find out every little detail about your life in a few minutes - no matter what protection you have.

Even NASA and the FBI get hacked.

I think that a few people on this site are being a touch pathetic. This is not the fault of BCUK or the administrators - so cut them some slack.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
First off, my apologies that this is happened, I have no idea how. VBulletin is secure and I doubt that the emails were hacked from the system, I have enquired of VBulletin about this to make sure.

I’ve spoken to the managing director at the canvas repair centre and he has no idea how it happened and he’s regarding it as someone has hacked his email address.

I understand that some of you are very frustrated about this, as am I. I don’t even understand some of the comments made in the text. The person has not identified themselves so this is all very underhanded and has been done to cause damage.

There’s a lot of mixed information coming in from you all and it’s going to take a while to get through it.

I suspect that the emails were harvested during the period that the security settings were not set to their maximum, which they have been at for a while. Not that the system has been hacked.

We are pursuing this, as I said, we’ve already been onto the MD of the company that seems to have sent the email and they’re livid as well.

I will take whatever means I can of pursuing this dealing with it. Please be patent and don’t jump to any conclusions.

Many thanks
Tony

Aug 1, 2005
UK
capacious said:
If you select the email, and then click the 'SPAM' option you will never receive email from him again - hotmail/yahoo/whatever will block it.
Assuming you're using a web-based client, yes. Not all of us do. My annoyance with this one is that it was sent to my main e-mail address, which I'm very careful of - not only that, but it was visible to all the other 94 recipients, most of whom I don't know.

The only way that your email address cannot be accessed, or mined, by someone else is to never enter your email address in the first place. Never access the internet.
Sorry, but that's rubbish. My main account is, and always has been, spam-free and I'd like to keep it that way.

I think that a few people on this site are being a touch pathetic.
You're entitled to your opinion, but insulting people generally isn't the way to win friends and influence people.

This is not the fault of BCUK or the administrators - so cut them some slack.
I don't recall saying it was the fault of BCUK; it's very obvious from the e-mail itself whose fault it is and why, and if I assume there's more protection on a site than there is, then that's my problem. It would be nice to be more aware of how the site works though, and useful if the relevant options in the UserCP could be turned off by default, rather than on.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Please do not start slinging mud at each other, there’s no point, this is a touchy subject for us all and it won’t help the situation.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Ah not another Spamgate Scandal haven't we had enough already :lmao:

Well like has been said let's not jump to any conclusions and remember that nothing is completely secure!

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I just donned my deerstalker hat and came up with tha following:

When I put said E-mail into a spell checker only 2 words come up I deduce, therefore that a) the writer is a very good typist and speller and b) that the writer dosen't use a spell checker.
That rules out 99.9% of BCUK members )including meself).

Seriousely though, I can't see what all the fuss is about – I think Tony and the rest of the girls do a great job.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Just so you all know...it is very easy to harvest email addresses from the internet and secondly it is just as easy to spoof an email address using a specific network protocol.

Thirdly...I found it an interesting and somewhat amusing read.

Forthly I had to dig it out my junk mail to read it and would have missed it if it wasnt for the posts on here.

So...Whats the big deal anyway? If you don't want your email address to be found don't put it on the net.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
As a measure for now I'll disable all emailing on the forum.

Also, to let you know. The Canvas Repair Centre is going to send out emails to people apologising for the Spam, they are trying to trace it. It seems that it was sent from one of their addresses to themselves and the addys were CC'd into it. Anyway, that's why you're getting another one from them.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Phil562 said:
Neil

Yes I can, but why should I, :confused:

Because you're choosing to make your email address publicly available for anyone to see, yet you're complaining about it getting spammed. :confused: If I don't want unwanted phone calls I become ex-directory - it's the same thing.

Anyway. As has been said already - a sense of perspective is probably called for - it's only an email.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE