Whats the LEAST amount of items you would take bush???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This time of the year? I can't back pack but for one night

Hex 3
Cell foam mat
Small radio
Big bag of sandwiches, banana's, apples.
Ilt flask of tea
sleeping bag
waterproof jacket
Head torch.
1L water
For breakfast finish off sarnies and tea and have some kit kat bars to top up then set off for home.

No need for stoves or fires this time of year for only a night away.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I through hike regularly
42 miles in one day seems quite a lot to me
probably not sustainable over time That is 10 hours at 4 miles per hour up hill and down dale? with rest stops camp time and eating,Come on that's an ultra marathon every day
Just saw your response and understand now-good going mate Fit as a butchers dog?
as for the original question
I take what I think I will need shelter food maps and the ever expanding kit
and sometimes a bit more lol
I can make 20 miles a day if I go for it otherwise I like to say 10-15 easy enough with time to find a good spot
and I do like a nice spot

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
For one night at this time of year I have just had knife, saw, paracord, fak, water kit, water, torch, fire kit, snacks, couple of black bags. All fits nicely into my indiana bag. Warm enough to sleep in rough shelter just in clothes.

For 3 days I would add food, cook set, spare clothes, tarp, hammock and sleeping bag.

That's for this time of year again...

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
More or less what Chris (lannyman8) said, but I'd either just get wet or use a poncho instead of waterproofs because I get very sweaty in waterproofs if I'm doing any exercise. Yeah, I'd probably have three torches. Oh, and a little one-man tent. :)

A couple of nights or a month makes little difference to the kit I'd take, but obviously for more than a couple of days the food requirements are pretty much proportional to the length of time spent out there. For one night I'd manage fine with just my bivi and a bottle of water and most of us could easily live for a week without food if we really had to although I wouldn't recommend it. I have to admit to cheating a little with the kit thing because there's always some kit on my belt. At least a multitool and a lighter. I sometimes make a sleep mat out of plant material found near my camp site and I often just crash in a bag in what I happen to be wearing if it's dry enough. The thing I like best about having hardly any kit is that it's usually a lot easier to find it all. :confused:

Even if I'm not planning to stay out when I'm on the bike I have a couple of big sheets of polythene and some cordage tucked away somewhere. Weight a couple of hundred grammes. Occasionally I just lash them to the bike to make a kind of lean-to shelter with one sheet and a groundsheet with the other, and sleep under there. It keeps most of the dew off.

MrJamieM

May 31, 2011
Bromsgrove (South Birmingham)
One night:
Tarp (inc paracord)
Sleeping bag
Self-inflating mat
Inflatable pillow
Knife
Folding hand saw
Fire steel
Head torch
Hand torch
Food (Bread, Bacon, Beans)
Water (1.5-2lt)

Few nights:
All above
Mess tin
Book
More food (pot noodles, biscuits)
More water (3-5lt)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Earlier this week I did a one night camp after a day's backpacking.

Kit list:

3x3 tarp
sleeping bag
closed cell foam mat
down gilet (used as pillow as too warm to wear)
food - nuts, tin of mackerel, oat cakes - and water
very light weight wool jumper
map and compass

Total weight (including water and food) - 4.8kg

Like Rick says, no need for stoves this time of year when out for just one night.

Last edited:

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I normally pack at what I consider comfortable living with about 15 - 20 lbs here in Brazil. The last week long trip I did my pack was 26 lbs.

The least I have gone out with over the past few years on 2 - 4 day trips has been...

Shelter
Poncho, liner, light weight bivy sack, paracord

Fire
Bic and firesteel w/ vaseline cotton tinder. I always have assorted pieces of inner tube rubber as well.

Water
2 US Army canteens, cup, stove sleeve, home made filter, iodine or chlorine tablets/. I also usually pack one or two 2-liter Platypus bags in dry season.

Signals & Navigation
Recta DP-2 compass, button compass, small signal mirror, LED light, LED AA-mini mag light, whistle.

Blades
Machete, bushcraft knife (SBT), Alox Farmer SAK

Extra Clothing
Depends on the season but the heaviest it gets here is a fleece and wool hat. In rainy season I usually pack a set of dry sweatpants and a long sleeve T-shirt in a dry bag.

Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE