What's the latest bit of kit you've bought and why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
This......

IMGP0713.jpg

because it's a beaut to paddle and feels like a little bit of history :)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Me me me next Berghaus crusader roc rucksack from Dougster (excellent) side pockets and yoke for it....
http://www.thegoodstuffshop.dk/product.asp?product=12316
In the post on the way (bit excited) group buy hammock waterproof socks (£1,50) tarp I think thats it.
Got to decorate a lounge for an old lady I know and wont charge her very much......just about the price of an axe,,,,,,,,,, is that wrong?
Dave

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
You are one lucky person. It looks splendid. What make is it?:eek:

Thanks Fred, yes I am very lucky - had to have quite a clear out of stuff to justify it!

It was made in Canada for me and is a 'Pal' which is one of the 2 canoes Bill Mason used in his Path of the Paddle and Waterwalker films. You may know that Bill Mason's canoes were made by the Chestnut Canoe Company (who stopped trading in the late 70's), and the company who made mine use the original Chestnut molds - their chief builder also used to work for Chestnut, hence the sense of history with the canoe. I have agreed with the company to help bring them over here (a non-profit making arrangement I hasten to add!)

I am one happy bunny - just wish I lived next to a river or lake!!

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks Fred, yes I am very lucky - had to have quite a clear out of stuff to justify it!

It was made in Canada for me by Great Spirit Canoes and is a 'Pal' which is one of the 2 canoes Bill Mason used in his Path of the Paddle and Waterwalker films. You may know that Bill Mason's canoes were made by the Chestnut Canoe Company (who stopped trading in the late 70's), and Great Spirit make theirs on the original Chestnut molds - their chief builder also used to work for Chestnut, hence the sense of history with the canoe. I have agreed with Great Spirit to help bring them over here (a non-profit making arrangement I hasten to add!)

I am one happy bunny - just wish I lived next to a river or lake!!
If it's not too rude, how much?

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
If it's not too rude, how much?

Without wishing to sound evasive, that's difficult to give a straight answer to as it depends on a number of factors - the bigest variables being shipping and taxes. I explored, together with a friend in Canada, a number of ways of bringing it over in the most cost effective way possible. We actually flew it over on this occasion but that may not be an option for much longer for a number of reasons. The total cost in the end wasn't ridiculous (you'd probably be surprised) when you consider how much a standard royalex canoe is over here and what you actually get for your money with a hand built cedar canvas canoe. This is the first one from this company to leave north America and it cost somewhere between a royalex and a composite canoe would over here.

I don't want to take the thread over, perhaps I should start a new thread?

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I've had a bit of a splurge and as well the crook knife I've bought 3 of Erics net kits, 3 Ikea hobo stoves (cutlery drainer) and a CWC G10 military watch.

Must go easy now for a bit :rolleyes:

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Getting together the bit's for my first self build knife, ordered a few more bit's last night.
Also bought a boker rescom for work (top left)

Attachments

• STA70575.JPG
    STA70575.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 68

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
A Liard Firebox - to have a natural fire when your somewhere that you shouldn't :D

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
TCC,
Its a stainless steel (laser cut no less) box that fits together when needed,measures 20x30x18cm when assembled and 20x30x5 cm when packed. You can cook on it,barbecue and bake with it.

I am still struggling with posting piccies,so apologies for the dry description.

I tested it the other day and it boiled a pint of water in under 4 minutes from small sticks.

If you google it you'llfind a picture

ATB

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
A tub of maya dust. I'd never tried it before and still haven't thanks to Surplus and Adventure taking over a month to deliver. Hopefully next week's the week.

Does kit you've made count? In which case it would be a lovely sheath for my bahco!

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Just purchased the

Highlander 88 Rucksack(needed a new one that fit)
Two knife Blanks

Stag Horn slabs for knife blanks
Brass tubing
Bungees(for tarp)
Groundsheet(for bivi)
Firesteel with stag horn
Paracord

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Hi All,

Just wondering, what's the latest bit of kit you've brought and why? I thought it might be a good way of seeing if there are any trends and adding things to a "wish list" for the future.

I've just brought one of those niffty looking pocket folding stoves (seconds) as they look like a handy alternative to camping gas and hexi cookers.

I've also just brought this! Because I've always wanted one. :D

Cheers,
J
Ok, this freaks me out now, I too have just bought one of those pocket stoves (seconds) and have always wanted a open-cannoe AND I notice that photo was taken with the exact same model camera that I have (FinePix S5000) spooky. :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE