Whats the best way to waterseal a reindeer hide?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
As per the thread subject, whats the best/most readily availbale materials to treat the back of a reindeer hide to protect it from ground moisture?

I see on some sites that sell them that you can get them siliconised. So i was wondering what product has been applied to them in order to treat them, where it could be obtained from and if there is an alternative if silicone is expensive.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I used one of the Nikwax products - can't remember which one I'm afraid.
Designed for suede and nubuck shoes IIRC.
I just brushed it on with a paint bush and let it dry.

Mark

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
No worries :)
Might need to 'supple it up' a bit after - it goes a bit stiff to start with. Nothing that a quick scruntch wont sort out.
I didn't bother with mine as I didn't think it was a big problem - just to let you know

Mark

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I've been contemplating proofing mine the nicwax is a great idea Mark
I have seen one of the members talk about thinning silicon sealer (the clear type you get for bathrooms) with meths and applying it to the back of a skin i was going to do a sample but i wont have time to do it before the moot

oh just remembered i think Bam has also had a go a siliconizing something i think it was rabbit

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I don`t treat mine. They are just dried "equipment" skins right from the animal That is the way the sami do it.
But I`ve heard about people using boiled linen seed oil on the back of the reindeer hides for waterproofing.

Tor

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
here in Canada you can get a product called "dubbin" which is a mix if bees wax and animal fat as far as i can remember, you apply the stuff, stinks by the way, and put the leather in a warm place to dry.

dean

leon-1

longshot said:
here in Canada you can get a product called "dubbin" which is a mix if bees wax and animal fat as far as i can remember, you apply the stuff, stinks by the way, and put the leather in a warm place to dry.

dean

Yep we have the same stuff over here. I have even used "neet's foot oil" as well on leather products and I would say this is pretty similair.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE