whats the best brand of disposable lighters in UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
After reading that Royal Marines survival book I decided to copy one of the things I had seen in in it, just a didposable lighter on a para cord necklace, as it seamed a good idea. So I cut a lenght of Hootchie cord and dug out some nice bright electrical tape and had a riffle through the box I keep all my outdoorsey combustables in. There must have been 20 lighters in there and after seperating out all the nearly empty ones I tried the rest to see which worked most reliably. Much to my disgust most where utterly crap and in the end I dug out the one I keep with my soldering gear, made by SAMCO which I know works well.

Now being a "bit" of a gear queen I like to get the best kit I can, especially if it doesn't cost me much so who does the most reliable, least flimsy cheepo gas lighters? ideally for under a quid?

Cheers!

Tom

PS I did make sure that the tape would break/come off before I would choke on it I hasten to add.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Clippers or Swans are pretty similar and probably the best for what you want. The flame does reduce over time though no matter how much gas is in there, I think the valve gets firred up but we're talking over a long period of daily use.

Mar 18, 2009
Lancs
forgot to mention you can drill a hole in the clipper and thread string through. but only on the bit that sticks out about 15mm lower than the gas trigger just be carefull not to go to close to the main body.

OP asked best, not cheapest, but if best is cheap too I'm happy!
Another trick I use is to cut an old bicycle inner tube into long strips and wrap them tightly around the lighter (like a tennis racket handle). Gives it a rubbery grip, and more imortantly is always available as emergency tinder, even when soaking wet. Sort of a self contained last chance fire lighting kit. I've left this combo under water for a few hours, and been able to fish it out and use it to light a fire imediately.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Clippers or Swans are pretty similar and probably the best for what you want. The flame does reduce over time though no matter how much gas is in there, I think the valve gets firred up but we're talking over a long period of daily use.

the refill valve on the swan lasts longer. :cool:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Clipper, cheap, refillable and you can change the flint when it runs out
Oh and it has a usefull pokie stick too

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I got 6 for a quid pizo ignition lighters which are working fine, but clippers are very good. I never trust any one lighter, I always carry several on me and my pack.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks!

I picked up a Clipper and a Swan clone, have taped a neclace and Inova mini torch to the one and will fashion a leather sheath to go on the leather necklace on my Grohmann flat camper.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE