whats in your pipe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Figs are posh for us locals in Potton.
Hence the tater :)

When my brother lived in Bedford there were some excellent Asian fruit and veg shops. They are pricey, but Aldi usually do packs (dried-but moist enough for baccy) pretty cheap, and just pop it in new baccy when old one runs out, last for ages.. Figs were a birthday treat for me as a kid, and not common back then - my poor Dad had to scour around for a tin of figs in syrup (only type you could get back then) for my birthday tea. Figs and a slice of clootie dumpling, yum. Remember the fist time I had a fresh fig when I was in my late teens, wonderful.

Hope you enjoy,
GB.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
I use the humidiscs which I soak in a bit of honey-rum liqueur I had left after I stopped drinking.

Humi%20pads.gif

I don't usually put anything like that in my baccy-pouch as I keep the tobacco pretty moist, and it dries a bit in the pouch making it smoke fine.

If it's really warm, or I'm away a few days & carrying a full pouch I'll put one of the terracotta humidifiers, soaked in water, in.

I'm going to try the vanilla pod in my 'odds and sods tin, where I've put the odd bits of samples, that might just make it something special.

N

Nomad

Just started pipe smoking as of last Saturday, and enjoying it so far. Golden Virginia roll-ups seem tasteless in comparison, although I have to admit that the pipe baccies I've tried so far seem somewhat similar on the palate. Two of the pipes are new Parker briars (Dunhill-made cosmetic cast-offs at bargain prices), so maybe I'm tasting the pipe to an extent just now (and probably puffing a bit aggressively as I get used to packing the bowl and pacing the puffs).

The third pipe is an estate calabash gourd with a meerschaum insert - just sanitised that tonight and having the first bowl. It was originally bought as an ornament years ago (I'm something of a Holmes fan, even though he didn't smoke a calabash). It seems pretty mellow after the briars, although that could partly be down to my packing and puffing cadence improving with practice. In the last couple of days, it's been getting a bit easier to keep a pipe lit without running it too hot (tongue bite becoming less prevalent).

Baccies I've tried so far: Mac Baren Vanilla Flake, Mac Baren Navy Flake, Petersons Irish Flake and Petersons Perfect Plug (only 1/3rd of a bowl). Love the aroma from the Vanilla Flake. Had the first bowl of Navy Flake earlier today and that seemed pretty smooth and burned well (charring light lasted about a third of the bowl). Need to try the PPP again to form an opinion, and the Irish Flake (just smoked my first bowl of that in the calabash) seemed quite earthy and smooth but needed lots of relights. The PPP and Irish Flake seem to smell similar in the tin and feel similar when rubbed out. I went for flakes and the plug on the assumption that they're less susceptible to drying out (I hate it when Golden Virginia becomes dry near the end of the packet), and I quite like the idea of rubbing it to whatever consistency I come to prefer. I haven't smoked the Vanilla Flake in a couple of days, so it'll be interesting to see what I think after trying the other three, and with my improving pack/puff techniques. (I agree with the comments on tobbacoreviews.com about its tin and room notes - superb. Just didn't get much vanilla flavour during the actual smoke, so a revisit is in order.)

Anyway, I've been looking at combination pouches with a view to getting something that will hold one pipe (or maybe two), a tin of baccy, a box of Swan Vestas, plus pipe tool and some cleaners. For bushy use, as well as out for the day stuff. Any suggestions? I like the little Mac Baren flake tins - very compact compared to the Peterson tins, so maybe enough room for two of those (with preferred baccies decanted into them if need be).

Also - a question. I always seem to end up with about 1/4 of a bowl of unburnt baccy at the end. I smoke away and, even though the pipe stays lit for most of the smoke, it gets to a stage where it seems like it's finished and is hard to keep lit. So I tip out the ash and any dottle, thinking it's done, only to find this 1/4 bowl or so underneath. Attempts to get this going again with a relight aren't very successful - two or three puffs and it goes out again. Am I missing something?

N

Nomad

Do you use a tamper? If not try one, the occasional tamp and you'll burn through the dottle

Yes, and getting used to the idea that a light tamp when it's on the verge of going out can bring it back again. Still seems to be harder to get that to work near the bottom.

N

Nomad

Before I hit the Spend Money button, any opinions on Dr Plumb baccy pouches? I fancy this one...

http://www.smoke-king.co.uk/acatalo...-Wallet-25513-Black-2821.html#SID=318#SID=132

I looked at some pouches in the localish baccy shop today, and found that the 2-pipe combo ones will take a Mac Baren flake size tin while the 1-pipe ones didn't. I like the two lined (large and small) baccy sections in the Dr Plumb one, and the fact that both are zipped. There's also an additional slim zipped pocket at the back.

I ended up buying a pipe lighter - Swan Vestas were getting boring, and are probably not that practical outdoors if it's breezy. Also got a packet of Revor Plug, which I'm going to try in a little while...

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=R&TID=1220

N

Nomad

Got the above-mentioned pouch. Quality seems fine, leather is soft and zips run smoothly. A Mac Baren's flake tin just fits into the large baccy compartment (along with half of the Revor plug in a little bag). A Peterson's Irish Flake tin is too big. I just got a tin of Germain's Special Latakia Flake, which is a little narrower and longer than the Mac Baren ones, and this tin is a perfect fit - it will become the tin that flake is decanted into.

Also just ordered this Greek-made straight briar, as well as a bent in the same style. The amber and silver details swayed me, as well as some research beforehand. It turns out that the seller, Alexander Zavvos, is very highly regarded - considered almost the patriarch of pipe making in Greece. The pipes I got are NOS, made around 1980. He also does briar blocks, as well as part-machined pipe kits, so I got this for some fun over the winter.

Getting better with the last 1/4 bowl. I find it helps if I get most of the ash layer off and relight and tamp a little.

On baccys, I'm a little underwhelmed with the Mac Baren Navy Flake, but am starting to like the Vanilla Flake more. They both seem to burn a bit hot, but the Vanilla is settling down more, perhaps because the tin is drying a bit. I dare say my technique is improving somewhat, and the pipes are probably starting to break in as well - cake is starting to build. Pleased enough with the vanilla to get another tin today (half way through the first). A mate that came to visit the other day fully approved of the room note.

Peterson's Perfect Plug plug hasn't been terribly interesting. It seems to have similar taste to their Irish Flake, but the latter is much better - the 3P is a bit of a non-event in comparison. The main difference between the two seems to be the inclusion of Kentucky in the flake. Kentucky was the reason I got the Revor Plug, and this has characteristics that are closer to the Irish Flake. The Germain's Special Latakia Flake is odd - tin note reminded me of grass or straw with a hint of horse****. My first thought on lighting it up was 'burning grass'. Must be my lumpenpalate failing to correctly identify the supposed latakia and oriental notes.

Last edited by a moderator:

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I was caught with cigarettes when I was13, and my folks thought they would sicken me be allowing me to smoke a pipe.
The tobacco was Condor ready rubbed, or Black (bogie roll). It is very strong. I was as determines as they were aand after feeling sick.,, I would persevere and carry on. This went on for some time till the novelty wore off. However when I was on my National Service, I drifted back to Cigarettes and got up to an average of 40 per day, for most of my Two Years
in the R.A. F. Then when they became too expensive I went back to the Pipe. I smoked both for a while but mainly the
Pipe and Condor tobacco for another Forty years. I thoroughly enjoyed my years of smoking (Mainly the pipe, and mainly strong tobacco. I however stopped altogether when I was about 60 years of age. About four years after that I found that I
had contracted C O P D (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) which can't be cured, this is similar to asthma and
Bronchitis, and entails taking pills to keep it at bay for a while. I am now in my mid seventies, but still getting around
reasonably normally, except walking uphill. I do not know what the final outcome will be, but I would advise any of you
younger guys to think about the concequences of continuing to smoke. I am a fairly fit person for my age, and this is my
only handy cap , being slightly out of breath. I personally consider that I enjoyed the pipe so much that if I had my life to live over again, I would still take the risk, but as I said I do not know 'What the future holds.' THINK ABOUT IT !

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
As a Pipe Smoking Hobbyist - I can have one bowl and leave it for a few days/week or so; enjoy the moment; do not smoke cigs......and have been recently enjoying:-

Friday - Sam Gawith`s Full Virginia Flake
Yesterday - Sam Gawith`s St James Flake
Today - Gawith & Hoggarth`s Bright CR Flake

Might have another bowl sometime in the week or next month......... I have currently 24 tobacco blends and 15 pipes to choose from !

N

Nomad

I tried a blend of two baccys last night. The Special Latakia Flake comes in large flakes and rubbing one out left me with a fair bit extra, so I stuck it back in the tin (rubbed out really nicely, by the way). The night before, I had a bowl of Peterson's 3P, and had a little excess from that as well. So, I decided to mix the two - proportion was about 75-80% SLF and 20-25% 3P. What a difference from either baccy on its own. The burning grass from the SLF wasn't evident - it was more like an "Irish Flake Lite". I found myself occasionally wafting smoke towards me to get a sniff of the room note, which seemed to be sweetish but earthy.

Later, I had a flake of the Mac Baren Vanilla Cream (from my first tin, opened two weeks ago). I had taken it out of the tin, thinking that some drying might help, but found that it was very dry by the time I came to rub it out - almost crunchy or crispy (the flakes in the tin still feel quite leathery). I decided to smoke it anyway, and found that it wasn't pleasant at all and didn't finish the bowl. Which leads me to...

What do folks use for storing baccy that's been opened? There seems to be a balance between allowing for some drying out, but not too much. Those food storage jars with the rubber seal and the clamp thingy? Is it okay to put the packet/tin straight in the jar? Can more than one baccy be stored in the same jar if they're still in their packets/tins?

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
What do folks use for storing baccy that's been opened? There seems to be a balance between allowing for some drying out, but not too much. Those food storage jars with the rubber seal and the clamp thingy? Is it okay to put the packet/tin straight in the jar? Can more than one baccy be stored in the same jar if they're still in their packets/tins?

I use Kilner Jars - some with the rubber seal/clamp and some having the metal lids; and I store the tobacco loose in the jars so therefore not more than one blend.
I do have a couple of tins opened and not jarred - ones I might not buy again.
The jarring tends to be what I use for my smoking rotation, but some folks store their "cellared" blends this way. I leave mine in the tins unopened/vaccum sealed until I transfer to the jar.

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
I just got a tin of Germain's Special Latakia Flake.....

Me too, plus their Royal Jersey Perique - both in the cellar and plan to open some time in the future; of the other JF Germain blends - Rich Dark Flake - currently jarred and on the current rotation, very nice!

N

Nomad

I use Kilner Jars - some with the rubber seal/clamp and some having the metal lids; and I store the tobacco loose in the jars so therefore not more than one blend.
I do have a couple of tins opened and not jarred - ones I might not buy again.
The jarring tends to be what I use for my smoking rotation, but some folks store their "cellared" blends this way. I leave mine in the tins unopened/vaccum sealed until I transfer to the jar.

At the moment, being a pipe beginner, I'm tending to try various baccys, which means opening tins right away (the second Vanilla Flake is the only one that hasn't been popped). Methinks keeping 2 or 3 tins in one jar should be okay - can't see there being much chance of them affecting each other, especially when one considers that blends are made with the various tobaccos in close proximity, often under pressure and over a period of time.

Anyway, found these on the Asda web site...

IL clamp-top jar
Set of 3 smaller jars

Going to pop down the local store and see if they have any.

N

Nomad

Got a couple of the 1L jars at £1.50 each. They didn't have the sets of three smaller ones in stock. I can get three tins in the bigger jar with room above them (two Mac Baren and the Peterson's Irish Flake). Plenty of room down the sides for a couple of bits of plug in little poly bags. The taller Peterson's 3P tin wouldn't go in. They seem as good as the Kilner ones. The wire doohickey is strong and the rubber seal certainly seals. When I open it, I get a load of aromas from the tins within - I'm surprised at how much is given off from the opened tins. I suspect the smaller jars will be too small for tins other than maybe a couple of the small Mac Baren ones. I might get some ready rubbed baccy at some point, however, and the set-of-three jars look suitable for that. (Discovered that my local baccy shop sells blending tobaccos loose, so I might look into that once I have a better idea of what I like.)

I also picked up a couple of those plastic clip-lid food storage boxes - a small one about the size of a normal 2oz baccy tin, and a larger square one that's still low in height and intended for sandwiches. My bits of excess baccy can go into the small one then get smoked when there's a bowlful, and I've found the larger one is good for mixing (like the Special Latakia Flake plus some plug).

A question about humidifiers: Do the little metal-cased humidiscs have a limited life? I don't see why they should, but I read somewhere yesterday that they do. I would assume the terracotta Pueblo ones will last for ever.

I've started using the Frank method of packing, and it seems better than the three-step hand of a child/woman/man method. The last flake of Vanilla smoked much better this evening - pipe was noticeably cooler, probably because I wasn't puffing so often or as hard. Much more easy-going.

N

Nomad

My Greek pipes arrived today. They're bigger than the Parkers I've been using, especially the straight - a single Mac Baren Navy Flake barely filled half the bowl. The pipe was nice, but it didn't improve the baccy - still too hot and got some gurgling. I'm starting to think that the Navy Flake is a singularly unimpressive baccy - aside from the somewhat poor smoking qualities, it lacks flavour, and the aroma (rum?) doesn't seem to be particularly evident.

Lit up the bent a little while ago with the hay & horse**** (Special Latakia Flake and a little Revor Plug), and that's doing fine. Burns cooler and drier (no gurgles), needs far less relights, and very definitely has flavour (although I have no idea why anyone would want to smoke the contents of a stable). Not as strong or earthy as the Irish Flake, or Revor Plug on its own, but a solid and satisfying smoke. Pretty easy to get a big load of smoke in a puff and practice blowing smoke rings. I think this is starting to become my 'medium' baccy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE