What's for Supper?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This will make Mary laugh - I had a Vegan supper! I was trying to explain to a lass who wanted to get her husband to eat more healthily that he could still eat bloke food (she was of the "make him eat steamed fish" persuasion). He had simply been refusing to eat the stuff. I said I could cook a vegan meal he would eat full of home grown veggies. She swore I couldn't.

Vegan Meal by British Red, on Flickr

I sent her this photo. She showed him and he asked "why can't you cook food like that, I'll eat it"

I am not expecting a card this year :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Baked Crab Rangoon, reheated baked potato smothered in fine dice green onion, steamed garden veggies.
Get a craving for fishy things, tomorrow might be squid rings, disgustingly deep fried.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

I don't know why some folks don't think Vegans eat ordinary things :dunno:
That looks like a good dinner to me BR :D
I'd love that oniony goodness of your gravy, did you make the 'sausages' yourself ?
I quite fancy Colin's recipe for his ones, but I have a glut of pumpkiny things to use up and am trying to concoct something that'll work for stuffing sausage rolls.

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The sausages are Quorn, the potatoes are home grown Maris Peer scrubbed in their skins, boiled and mashed skins and all.

The peas are home grown "Telegraph Tall" and just flash boiled

The onions are home grown "Ailsa Craig" skillet sauteed in a spray of EV olive oil with a few field mushrooms

The gravy is a simple thickened vegetable stock coloured with caramalised onion and thickened with cornflour.

The wholegrain mustard is home made using home grown brown and yellow mustard seed and home made wine.

I really must learn to make sausages - its a big gap in my culinary armoury - if I can make pumpkin ravioli, I'm sure I can do a snorker!

I fear I may be kicked out of "only eat things with a face" club now :(

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This will make Mary laugh - I had a Vegan supper! I was trying to explain to a lass who wanted to get her husband to eat more healthily that he could still eat bloke food (she was of the "make him eat steamed fish" persuasion). He had simply been refusing to eat the stuff. I said I could cook a vegan meal he would eat full of home grown veggies. She swore I couldn't.

Vegan Meal by British Red, on Flickr

I sent her this photo. She showed him and he asked "why can't you cook food like that, I'll eat it"

I am not expecting a card this year :)

The sausages are Quorn, the potatoes are home grown Maris Peer scrubbed in their skins, boiled and mashed skins and all.

The peas are home grown "Telegraph Tall" and just flash boiled

The onions are home grown "Ailsa Craig" skillet sauteed in a spray of EV olive oil with a few field mushrooms

The gravy is a simple thickened vegetable stock coloured with caramalised onion and thickened with cornflour.

The wholegrain mustard is home made using home grown brown and yellow mustard seed and home made wine.

I really must learn to make sausages - its a big gap in my culinary armoury - if I can make pumpkin ravioli, I'm sure I can do a snorker!

I fear I may be kicked out of "only eat things with a face" club now :(

I'm not close to being vegan (although I do like my veg!) but that meal looks extremely good to me.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
‎Last night I was mostly eating:
‎
Braised Squirrel & Fresh (Frozen) Peas‎

Ingredients:
Young squirrel ‎
Peas
Mint leaves
Baby onions 
Lardons of bacon 
Butter 
Little gem lettuce‎
Salt/Pepper 
Glug of white wine (optional)‎

Method:
Remove as much meat as you can from 3 young squirrel and chop into bite-size chunks. 
Heat some butter in a big pan and throw in the squirrel and lardons to cook out, soften and colour.
Roughly chop the lettuce.‎
Add the onions to the squirrel/lardons and fry gently.
Add the lettuce and mint leaves and a little salt. Stir well and tip in the peas.‎
Stir round well to mix.‎
Cover and simmer until tender, stirring from time to time and, if you must, dribble a little white wine to prolong reduction.
Keep all the steam in the braise. 
Add a little butter from time to time.‎
Season as necessary. 

Serve with chunks of fresh sourdough bread laden with a lightly salted butter of choice. 

Drink the remaining white wine.  

I consider this the finest dish for converting the non believers but the squirrel or rabbit must be young unless you wish to perpetuate the myth that game is tougher than Ray Mears' underpants.  

Enjoy!

K‎

‎

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Scratch-made pizza tonight: my crust and my sauce.
#1 sliced apple/pecan/Roquefort & Rosemary. Mozza on top.
#2 green peppers, Mexican salami, maybe black olives, Jalapeno Jack cheese on top.

on monday i went for a short walk before work and found a palm-sized puddle of fresh blood- not even coagulated and bright red. i started to follow the trail of blood drops when i heard a shot from close-by so i knew **animal put out of misery** and continued my walk [ on a dirt road]. shortly after the successful hunter called me from maybe hundred metres of the road so i walked over and we had some sort of chat [ language barrier...], i helped drag his deer[ good-sized stag] to the road and load onto his truck before heading back to where i live and work for brekkie. later this morning the hunter dropped past and brought me two bags of meat and the tongue for my small help- so -incl. two BBQ after work with some workmates- i have been eating sika since one week for diner:D.... .today i threw the last pieces into my stew...

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Home-made smoked mackerel fishcakes, baked cauliflower cheese , steamed greens & leeks.
t2801.gif

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
That sounds pretty awesome Ian :) I'm really look I g forward to getting back to my parents for Christmas and breaking out my smoker.

Busy emptying the fridge in preparation for leaving on Sunday. Half a side of smoked salmon and a cook ham on the bone :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I had leeks fried in butter tonight..haven't had leeks for a while. I always forget how good they are.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Fried chicken (fried after a short marinade in buttermilk) mashed potatoes with chicken gravy, green beans, and fried green tomatoes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh very nice :D puts me in the notion. I haven't had blue cheese sauce in a while, and I'm fond of those brassicas :)

We're repairing one of the sheds today, and it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so it needs done this afternoon; cooking's low on my agenda right now. We've stopped for a salad lunch and I'm clearing my emails, etc.,
I 'think' it'll just be gluten free spaghetti with home made mushroom bolognese stuff tonight.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE