What's for Supper?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Lettuce wraps were a taste explosion that I never expected. Hard to get cranked up about doing that just for myself but it has happened!!!!! I put my elbows on the table, my face in the plate and I'll come up for air in about 30 minutes.
Gimme a minute, I'll be right over.

Roll the roast in instant coffee before cooking.
I never do roasts. They all get cut for kebabs with onion and peppers on the grill.
The marinade/sauce is up to him.

Here's supper on the hoof:

Attachments

• Bison Ear Tag.jpg
    Bison Ear Tag.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Billy-o

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's actually the bison rancher, not me. They trust him on foot but nobody else.
I can see part of the defining tree line from the pasture from my kitchen window.

Pushing 7 feet. They act really friendly. They want to snuggle up close to meet you and greet you and stomp the crap out of you permanently. Crushing you against a fence post is another hobby of theirs. Let's review all the glamorous paintings of First Nations on horseback, shooting dinky little flint tipped arrows at these. Buffalo jumps and long spears.

They are extremely edible, served with the North American things which compliment bison. Stuff like different wild onions and different varieties of corn.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Elk fajita tonight. I'll slice up an elk T-bone steak for a real treat.
Elk isn't moose. Much milder flavor. Peppers, onions my own seasoning mix and corn tortillas. The meat will cook in 2-3 minutes.

Pasture maggots that push the cattle away from the feed in winter.
Some get lead poisoning. We get a bang out of that.

Reactions: santaman2000

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Smoked streaky bacon and poached heritage egg butty. Sadly gluten free bread, not real bread, but sometimes you just have to have a simple bacon and egg butty, souped up with a little pure maple syrup on the bacon, and a little drizzle of white truffle infused olive oil on the egg.
Oooh, delicious, scrumptious, blissfulness!

SSGN_Doc

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2021
WA, USA
Working on it. Smoked Tri-tip roast using mesquite wood. Grilled zucchini and yellow squash on the side. Got another hour or so, before the meat comes to temperature in the smoker.

BBQ season is back.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I BBQ and grill @ -10C and warmer. The bigger issue is that it's pitch freakin' dark out there! On the solstice, the sun sets for my house at 1:52 PM and by 3:30 PM, it is black, dark night. Nobody is brave enough to come out and hold a torch for me. By June 21, there's enough skylight to read the newspaper.

Stir-fry sausage chunks. When nearly done, stir fry apple chunks that were tossed with cinnamon (they cook really quickly.) Rice or quinoa, I think.

That or reheat some very good burgers and baked potatoes. Cole slaw.

Reactions: SSGN_Doc and nigelp

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
3 tins of condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 tin of red wine. Any fear of purple food and use white wine.
Lie thru your teeth and claim it was red.
1/2 tin water.
1 packet instant onion soup mix.
Preheat the oven to 300F
Fine dice one big white onion >>> into the pot.
1 tsp thyme and 1 tsp b. pepper.
4 smashed cloves of garlic.
> whisk this mess together, total no more than 15 minutes.
4 pounds beef short ribs, cut big pieces in half.
Bury them in the goop.
No salt, lots in the soupy things.
Into the oven for 3 hours by the clock.
LAST HOUR: maybe 2C dice potato, mixed veg, carrot, etc ?????

I like to use quinoa as the platform to soak up the gravy.
Big glass of red as grease for the cook.

Reactions: SSGN_Doc

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
With beef short ribs, the meal was terrible. I did an autopsy on the left overs for the meat and some gravy and the rest went into the big white telephone.
I'll thaw more but with a dry rub of herbs and spices and a 3 hr roast at 275F to boil the bejezus out of them.

Tonight Who the hell knows. Freezer surprise. Should whip up a little batch of peanut/Hoisin that's good on anything.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I used a Herb&Garlic dry mix meant for dipping crisps as seasoning for burgers. One tbsp/16 oz mince. Sat in the fridge overnight. Added the usual bread crumb and egg. Mixed until the texture changed. 3lb batch, made 1/3C burgers (fried) and 1/4C meatballs (baked) to freeze. Probably the most attractive seasoning I've managed to do so far.
Burgers on fresh ciabatta breads. Loaded with add-ons.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Tonight was a Thai fish curry, with homemade coconut milk, and Mackerel and wrasse were the fish used, heavy food miles though, the Mackerel were from blackpool, and the wrasse from strumblehead

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I get some really big buns, ciabatta buns, in my grocery shopping. Last night, I loaded 2 (!!!) burgers* into one of them with all the trimmings I could find, olives and pickles on the side. Large glass of Frontera Merlot (Chile).
*make a dozen+, cook, cool and freeze. It's always just one mess, no matter how many.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE