Whats everyone do for a living in the real world?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhodri

Forager
Nov 12, 2004
Suffolk
Believe it or not I'm an archaeologist. I work for the local authority (Suffolk County Council) where I run excavations on any sites within the county that we get the contract for (all competitive tendering). I get to spend about 2/3 of my working life outdoors, marvelling at some of the (sometimes extremely daft) things our ancestors got up to, which is fantastic (although we don't stop for weather - any weather...).

I've wanted to be one for as long as I can remember (about six I think) and look forward to every day I go to work. Very happy and very lucky I reckon.

Cheers,
Rod

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I'm an ex-furnace tapper, ex-electronics technician, ex-solid-state physicist, and now a technical writer/project manager for EU funded research, and I would like to be a lottery winner!
I also like history so am quite jealous you being an archaeologist, I know it is very difficult to find that sort of work, you lucky lucky...

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I work for a tailor-made luxury African safari company. We organise safaris to East and Southern Africa, Morocco and the Indian Ocean Islands. I absolutely love my job!

Even though it's primarily office based (I spend about 2 months of the year travelling around the lodges in Africa) every day is different so in the mornings I could be working out how heavy a plane can be to land on a dirt airstrip in Uganda and in the afternoon talking to a client about the best time to see Wild Dogs in Botswana! Variety is the spice of life!

We are thinking of expanding into the Middle East. I used to live in Dubai so I know the UAE quite well but have no idea about Tunisia, Egypt, Jordan or Oman (the other countries we are thinking of) so I may be posting a thread for help soon ........ watch this space!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
In the words of Martha and the Muffins (oops - little bit of music creeping in there): My job is very boring, I'm an office clerk.

It's true though - I work in a statistical team in the Civil Service, counting ship cargoes - and it can be very, very boring indeed! Lots of time to climb the Net though... The downside is that I'm stuck in front of a computer monitor all day, and have gained a lot of weight since I moved away from an active job in Office emanagement back in '98.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I'm a project manager for the local authority. Currently working on a large commercial development - the council own the land. Started work learning to be a land surveyor, it was great being outdoors 70% of the time. I now manage out a couple of times a week. The job is good, the people I work with are all friendly but think I'm totally mad.

I get reasonable holidays and the hours that I work let me go out and play after work and at the weekends, can't complain at that.

Cheers

JFW

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I run operations at an outdoor centre way up in the far NW of Scotland. We work with young people who have had problems in their lives and who are trying to get themselves sorted out and move forwards.

I used to work face to face with our clients which meant that I would spend at least 10 days a month on exped - these days though I'm lucky if I get out to check out a session once a fortnight.

Mind you I do have one of the best views in the UK from my office window - looking over the Inner Sound to Skye and the Cuillins - so it can't be all bad.

George

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
whe could take over a fair sized island, we have all the skill types here to build our own country!!. stop packing you guys !!!!, I was joking !!!!, well , hhhhhhhmmmmm yea o.k. ( exscuse me while I put these maps away), now , what was I saying??.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Well i'm in secondry school :roll: i try and get out camping and stuff but it never seems enough :?: well i'm heading off to Kenya this year with gavin bates also good luck to gav on his oxygen unaided and solo attempt on everest which he's starting soon.; and in a year and a half i'm taking a long time out to catch up on some skills and everything :mischief:

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
I am a city boy born and raised, certainly no "real life" here, all my co-workers talk about is "reality" TV and who does what in Hollywood. They are usually uninterested in what I do in my real life...though I showed several of them by new knife/flashlight sheath I made with little interest shown.

Oh, what do i do? I am rep liasion for a jewelry wholesaler. Any of you blokes need some shiny bling bling to signal the rescue craft? :rolmao:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I started out hoping for a career in the Coast Guard. After 5 years I flipped a Motorlifeboat 360 degrees twice in a 20 foot bar and popped out the other side with my helmet and skull both cracked.I stayed aboard and completed our rescue mission 24 hours later. A year later they said I couldn't reenlist due to injuries. I unsuccessfully argued with my brains half kicked out I was officer material :rolleyes: So I went to university and received a degree in archaeology. My thesis postulated a possible searoute to partially explain the rapid expansion of people into the new World. I had chart tables, tides, examples of contemporary and historical ocean going craft used by the Chumash, Tlingit and Inuit and a hoped for endowment to go back to Alaska and run a Umiak down the coast. My academic commitee thought my idea was nuts, but I had so much data they awarded my degree. I worked as a staff archaeologist for CALTRANS, the California Transportation Dept. for 6 years ( is there a pattern here) after 6 years in Uni. Ronald ' You've seen one tree you've seen them all' Reagan had left a legacy of hostility to the science that persists today. I got fed up trying to save or at least record a site with a bulldozer gunning it's engine and spilling deisel fumes into my excavation unit. I got a job with the Mule concession at Grand Canyon taking Japanese tourists through time for a year and then went to work at a ranch owned by a movie actor with more money than common sense. That ended and I've been living on savings and stocks for the last year. I'm setting up a distributorship for Romanian Wine so I can visit my romanian G/f more often.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I'm a student in college, doing Computing, Electonics, Maths, Physics and Physical Education. Second year in college probs going to do Computing, Maths, Physics, maybe electronics.

I will most probably go to uni and do computer science. I would like to do programming as a career or something computer related.

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
I work in the Financial Services industry as a manager of a team winding up pensions...

Graham

Ronin

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2004
Penzance, Cornwall
Totally utterly unemployed..... :(

But ex-marine, ex-engineer, ex- IT manager, ex-scaffolder. Hopefully starting as Army cadet Instructor :D

Even though I technically have nothing to do all day...I still cant find the time to go bush... :confused:

Graham...I gotta know..how do you wind up a pension? Call it names? ;) :D

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
For the past ten years I have worked in advertising on trade magazines covering various fields including farming, engineering and its been a food and drink mag for the last 6 years.
I badly needed a change from hard selling adverts every day,so I approached the owners of the company I work for with a proposal and
I am now in the process of setting up a new on line shop selling outdoor gear, and I'm hoping it will take off (the fact I get cheap kit is just a bonus, honest ;)

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Journalist/photographer for my sins – but it pays the bills and buys the kit. Also allows me to mouch about the woods during the day because I mostly work evenings.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I used to work as a welder then got trained up as a weld inspector/industrial radiographer just in time for the **** to fall out of engineering.

After bumming around for rather too long I figured that I had better pull my finger out, went to college and started on a Joinery course, realised that I was doing alright and started getting work.

Am now a self employed subcontractor doing joinery/carpentry :)

The wolf that was at the door has now been replaced by a medium sized sheepdog so things must be looking up ;)

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
I'm doing A levels at the moment and clean classrooms at my college to pay for my internet connection and get some money behind me for when I go off and do maths at uni next year. I haven't a clue what career I'd like in the future, though.

There seems to be a lot of people in the tech business here!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I was an IT geek until the IT industry suffered a prolapsed something or other.

I'm currently contracting for a company in Uxbridge what makes computer hardware for high speed image capture and frame grabbing... it's ok but mostly working with thousands of components and logistics, it's ok but the money isn't great.

If anyone wants to offer me a top shelf job, my CV is at http://www.lightningstorm.co.uk/joeburgecv.doc ;)

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Urmmm I work as a Quality Analyst for a large brewing company... so yup I'm officially a Beer tester.

If the placement comes up though I'm hoping to go back to Uni this year and complete a PGCE to teach Secondary School Chemistry/Science.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE