Whats everyone do for a living in the real world?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
As the forum is on the up and up, I was wondering what everyone did in the real world for a living. Its blatenly obvious that we all work to live, rather then the other way round, and spend as much time as possible outdoors.

Ok we have a couple of very lucky gits on here, Gary + Nomad, I hate you both. :D

I'll start.

I work for a comms and processing company in the Financial IT world (ATM's), it pays the bills, but is shift work, 4 on 4 off so I do get time to go wandering, but not bushcrafting in the real sence as I live in snooty Hertfordshire. It pays the bills, and I do have lots of shiny kit :D :D :D :D

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Celtic Dragon said:
I was wondering what everyone did in the real world for a living.

I'm supposed to write manuals for software.

I end up translating telegraphic notes of what the software is supposed to do, into understandable instructions of how to make the software work.

And I need to find a new job. This one is going to send me crazy.

Keith.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm the dispatch manager for our Family business....we repair IT hardware for major blue chip companies..... but not for much longer, I'm hoping to leave work in the next few months and start my own company doing something completely different and being outdoors to do it....I'll tell you all more once it's up and running...it's not bushcrafti though I'm afraid!!! :eek:):

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I work for a large International Finance/Leasing company. It's not a bad place to work and pays the bills which sometimes allows me to by new kit and get out and about. The Holidays are pretty good but the commute is a long one.

I would love to work out side and something a bit more physical as I sit on my rear for 6hours the day BCUK being a life saver.

Regards,

James

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I work at a webdesign company and we manage our own site to promote local food in Britain. The url is in my profile if you want a gander.

I really dislike sitting at a desk all day and wish I could be doing something outdoors which paid enough money but don't we all.

Bill

*EDIT hadn't read James' post when I wrote this but somehow I think it will be a recurring theme.*

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i'm a student and i work in the retail business, sitting behind the till, but also doing some logistical stuff, unloading lorries, counting incoming freight, checking seals, etc...

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
I'm a technical writer and editor. (Hey, Keith!) In the UK I think the job is also called technical author.

I work for an engineering company the designs life safety systems and equipment (fire alarm, security, access control, building operation, etc.) It's kind of neat to work in an industry that saves lives (and property) but it's still working at a desk for a large, sometimes indifferent corporation.

I really apprieciate being able to share camping, survival, and bushcraft ideas on the internet duing my break or lunch time. Makes the concrete box I work in seem a little less confining.

Bear

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Systems Analyst (sigh). The money's OK, but the blx management doublespeak gets a bit much at times :?:

Still seeking that elusive posting to one of the UK's more isolated Universities, rather than sunny Salford :yikes:

I'd love an outdoor job (not sure how I'd cope after 15 years sat in a swivel chair, mind) but I'd really have to tighten my belt.

On the subject of which, saw the FC advertising two lowly woodland worker posts in Cannock Chase. If I didn't have a mortgage...

Jim.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i work as a tree surgeon gardener (GDB) on two twenty acre estates so i guess i'm lucky as i get to be outdoors every day but still love to get out on the weekends with hobbit playing in the woods or just wondering around

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I'm a student....

When I'm sober (actuly I haven't had a drink in weeks) I'm doing a dgeree in computer science but I'm only in the first year. I was thinking about joining the armed forces and letting them pay for this degree but didn't like the idea of not being able to leave the job

I notice there are loads of people in IT here but I guess thats the upshot of been a computer based group

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Andy said:
I'm a student....

I notice there are loads of people in IT here but I guess thats the upshot of been a computer based group

Absolutely. Same with the motorcycle list I've been on for years. There are 2 couriers, a police 'bike sergeant and a 'bike paramedic on it. Everyone else (as far as I know) is in IT, or full time education.

It used to be a net access thing. Not sure now. People bushcrafting in their heads to escape dull work? :naughty:

Today in my head I are mostly fishing in Wharfedale :biggthump

Jim.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I work as a mechanical designer for an aerospace comany making generators, motors and power distribution controls for aircraft. I've had a hand in both the back up generator, and back up flight control system for the new A380.......be afraid...be very afraid!!! :yikes:

Don't get me started on what I would rather be doing than driving a CAD terminal and compiling techinical reports :wink:

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
I work for the California state parks as a Natural resource management maintance aid. I get to spend all day outside. :biggthump Not really bushcrafty in the way of work but I cant complain being outside unless it rains. My job is to help return areas back to a native ecosystem by removing exotic and evasive plant species.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I'm a stock controller for a large multi national oil additives manufacturer. Son of the obvious large oil company i'm afraid to say. Still if i didn't do it someone else would, and it pays for my toys... :?:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i'm an engineering technican (airframes) in the royal air force.
no rooting through army surplus stores for me!! and if i knacker my kit i just swap it in stores :)

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
I used to be a full time Outdoor Activity Instructor, and Training Facilitator in Management Development, but working all over the UK for weeks on end got too much with a new family.

So now I work in Comms for a Police Force, hours are better and I get time off to do what I want.

Working in the outdoors can be great, but you find yourself doing the same thing over and over again, and I found that it became really hard to go out to enjoy the countryside and not look at it as a potential venue for clients!

Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE