Whats Do You Miss Most When Not Out in The Bush?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
I miss the sounds and smells but I also miss not having to look at the time, I have often been laying reading a book next to the fire and decided to go to sleep, glanced at the time and its 2am or 3am ... but it doesn't matter .... :)

Andrew

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
For me, it's probably the absence of human sounds I miss the most, being outside often isn't very quiet at all (lots and lots of corvids locally for example), but those sounds are just part of being outdoors. Like the sound of the sea breaking, or the wind through trees (or badgers grubbing about in the middle of the night doing badger stuff, no more than a few meters from your bivi)... :eek:

These sounds are not intrusive tho', unlike traffic rumble, idiot cellular phones, and just that general density of noise you get around lots of people.

Actually, now as I think about it, I don't like the homogenous and controlled environment of being in an urban area either, all tarmac, street lighting (!), inside everywhere strives to feel the same, the same temperature all year, nasty artificial and overbearing scents, horrid flat lighting, disconnection from the weather systems, grime, stickyness ... Oh, I could go on about this for hours (but I won't, as I'm sure you probably all feel the same way).

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
capacious said:
At around 3, sometimes 4 in the morning there is a period when every single living creature, no matter where you are (ok, maybe not every single one, but at least the noisy ones), is sleeping. At this point there is absolutely not a single sound in the forest. This lasts for all of fifteen minutes at most, and is the most precious of moments in anyones life - to totally immerse yourself in the seemingly massive volume of total silence. It was said that silence is golden, but I disagree. SIlence is worth immeasurably more than gold, and if i lost it from my life i would be a lesser man.

That is what I miss most.

i know the bit
yes thats the other thing missing those subtle sites and sounds those moments when the world seems to alter slightly as you become aware of being aware

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Daniel Edwards said:
I miss accidently coming accross animals while walking around, it's an experience which you can neither find nor re-create anywhere else.

The only time i have accidentily come across wild animals is when walking home from my girlfriends in the wee hours of the morning. I came across a badger :eek: , a tawny owl :eek: :eek: and i was stood no more than 6' away from a vixen as she rummaged around in the rubbish for about half and hour. All this in Hazel Grove, a crappy, hideous, built up area in South Manchester!!!!!

(I've also seen king fishers, herons and trout in Hazel Grove. MADNESS!!!!)

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Martin Cross said:
Whats Do You Miss Most When Not Out In The Bush?

Others have pretty much covered all bases so let me tell you what I miss least:

The gut-twisting realisation, when I fire-up the Landrover for the journey home, that I'll probably never find myself in the woods long enough to truly experience the oneness with nature I feel is to be had. Yes, there have been many times when I've thougt I was close but in truth I am still very much in a second "Meadow" of consciousness and some considerable way from the Holy Grail that is the "Third".

Or something like that anyway!

Cheers

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE