What would you plant in a public open space...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi All

Given the option what plants (perenials/shrubs/trees whatever takes your fancy) would you choose to plant/like to see in public open spaces near you? This could be a play area, urban park, country park; basically land managed by local authority. The one caveat is that they would need to be low maintenance, attractive and have some ecological value. I have a job interview coming up and I would like to advocate some planting schemes that had more purpose than to just look nice and fill a space.

Leo

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think it would depend on just what the space is primarily used for. If it's a children's play area it would need to be something that wouldn't hide them from public view (giving child predators cover) Likewise if it's a shoreline area where the public sits and gazes at the view over the water (whether they're just enjoying the sight of the water itself, the sunsets, the passing boats, or whatever) If the area is used for outdoor teaching a shade might be useful. You get the idea; it needs to fit with the specifics of the place.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What can you find that qualifies as "multipurpose?" Plants which would suit the climate and soil. I'd consider woody shrubs such as hazelnut or Rowan. Shade value would come with age.

Widely spaced specimen conifers are popular here. I have 3 spruce trees 12"+ x 50-60' tall in my front yard, probably planted when the house was built, about 1974. Their shade value on a stinking hot summer afternoon is a true relief. As of now, the branches have been cut off to approx 8' up the main trunk. Just me, I suppose but I enjoy walking/standing/sitting under them. With any substantial snow load, the lower branch tips touch the ground in winter.

Together with neighbor's observations, very popular feeding and nesting opportunities for small birds. From time to time I see pairs of Ravens roosting to peck away at some prize scavenged food item.
We used to have some resident squirrels but no sign of them for a year+.

DogRose

Forager
Apr 19, 2015
Isle of Wight
Native species- to improve biodiversity, help the local wildlife and hopefully foster community interest and involvement in the area. There are also grants available that could be used to help fund such projects. Good luck with the interview.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Hmm tricky as many councils definition of a low maintenance border is a chain-link fence, that said there's a lot of climbing vines to choose from such as the flowering Clematis and Honeysuckle or evergreen classical English ivy.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
I would like to see more wildflowers and potentially propper hedgerows in local parks rather than just stark grass with the occasional broadleaf tree (Lyme and horse chestnut in the main)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I would plant hawthorn and blackthorn in every space possible. I was considering marijuana but it may be better if that is grown and supplied by the state. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Silver birch, wild cherry, crab apples :)

Nothing to hurt, the birds love them, they're too sour for children to eat, but rich in wildlife, and there are dwarf versions of birch, cherry and apple available as well.
All native, all lovely trees. Hazelnuts are excellent too, but not sure if nuts are fine these days :sigh:

Thing is though, these are all temperate trees, so seasonal underplantings really enrich the whole thing. From primroses to pignuts, bluebells and ransoms, and then through Summer and into Autumn you can have things like the wood millet and ferns, into Winter and the plants like lemon balm keep a tired, but scented greenery for a fair bit of it.

I'd plant for scent too. Wallflowers are a beautiful colourful brightness and the scent is lovely from them. Hardy too.

At the end of the day though whatever you choose needs to be site and use dependant.

If I find a weed to be useful, I will plant it and grow it in my garden. From soapwort to StJohn's wort, from coltsfoot to reedmace.

You could aim for 'wildlife encouraging', or scent, or wild edibles, or children safe…..lemon balm, willow, ransoms, heartsease, etc., or you could aim for native plants, and encourage the lesser known like the wood millet, figwort and so on.

Best of luck with it :D

M

Palaeolite

Jan 13, 2016
West Berks
What sort of public open space? A community orchard? An urban park? A forest? The options are various, and limiting factors are the circumstances.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
For me it would totally depend on the soil and surrounding vegetation. Have witnessed too many designers planting inappropriate flora 'cause it would "looked pretty" or sounded good. It either failed or caused havoc.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Palaeolite

Jan 13, 2016
West Berks
I wonder what happened to my post...

What is meant by public open space? Community orchard? Forest? Urban park? What wildlife is there? These factors will determine tree species more than anything.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi All

Given the option what plants (perenials/shrubs/trees whatever takes your fancy) would you choose to plant/like to see in public open spaces near you? This could be a play area, urban park, country park; basically land managed by local authority. The one caveat is that they would need to be low maintenance, attractive and have some ecological value. I have a job interview coming up and I would like to advocate some planting schemes that had more purpose than to just look nice and fill a space.

Leo

Not a hypothetical question for me:

http://www.transitiontownhastings.org.uk/fruit-trees-planted-at-the-community-garden/

This is land owned by the Railway, adjacent to Warrior Square Station in St Leonards on Sea. We've just planted a load of fruit trees.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE