Coed Tregib (Tregib Woods)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
I recently visited these woods and as a day out in the woodlands it is a great area to go. It is woodland trust owned and has areas of SSSI so i would say that camping is a no no. I have copied this from the woodland trust website about the woods as there is too much for me to write about and this post would be very long and boring indeed:p If ever you are in Wales I would suggest this as a must see woodlands.

Coed Tregib

About this wood

Coed Tregib lies one mile west of the town of Llandeilo and is part of one of the largest areas of ancient woodland in the area, and is a Site of Special Scientific Interest. The wood occupies a gentle north-facing slope above the floodplain of the Afon Tywi and is bisected by the shallow valley of a west flowing stream. Much of the site is permanently wet with heavy, slow draining clay soils. The adjoining land use includes broad-leaved woodland, conifer plantation, pasture and improved grassland. The National Trust property Dinefwr Park and the Castle Woods nature reserve are 1 mile to the west across the river and are notable for their ancient woodland and trees.
Two fields running from the south west boundary of the woodland onto the edge of the Afon Tywi flood plain were purchased by the Trust in 2004. They are outside of the SSSI. The larger of these fields was improved pasture and was planted as native broadleaved woodland in 2004-5. The smaller field is semi-improved grassland being maintained by summer cattle grazing. There is also a former field, now a mixture of planted oak, self seeded shrubs and bramble, within the current boundaries of the woodland and SSSI which supports a range of wetland plants.
The key features present are ancient woodland, open ground habitat (species rich grassland), informal public access, and new native woodland.
The ancient woodland is principally oak and ash with hazel coppice together with wet woodland dominated by alder. Parts of the woodland appear to be secondary woodland regenerated on old pastures. Botanically these are indistinguishable from the surrounding woodland. The woodland was clear felled during the First World War. The few remaining old trees are found mainly on the boundaries, which retain some of the epiphytic communities and are a refuge for many species rare or absent from the rest of the woodland. The woodland is botanically diverse with over 100 plant species being recorded. Dormice have also been recorded on the site.
Public and management access into the upper south eastern boundary of the woodland is from a minor council maintained road. A much more accessible entrance is available into the extension from the Bethlehem Road which runs along the north western boundary. There are no public rights of way through the site, but networks of permissive paths are maintained. The number of visitors to the site has been low for many years but is currently increasing with the better access available via the new planting area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE