what would you pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
you have to survive a year in the wild, i wont specify where you choose.
you can take a medium sized rucksac of luggage/possesions.
what would you pack.
Ive just started to put a kit together (im a newbie)
dont want to waste my money on the useless.
just wanted to pose this hypothetical situation to see what you guys tally with each other for the sake of my experiment please try to post your list before reading any others who have posted before you that way it will be totally your list.
i very much appreciate any participation cheers ziggy

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
2 billy cans
1 large frying pan
1 large axe
1 small axe
1 sheath knife
1 small knife
1 large ring auger
1 large saw
2 firesteels
14 pairs of socks
12 pairs underwear
4 pairs trousers
4 shirts
1 jumper
1 scarf
5 pairs gardeding gloves
1 jacket
1000ft paracord
1 shovel
fishing kit
snares
Bow + arrows
hat
good boots
1 sleeping bag
1 fleece liner for sleeping bag

the thing about spending a year out in the wild is that you would build a cabin so structure that would be solid and last, your needs would change from survival to settling and that changes the tools... I would think so anyway.

The above is a list of things I would be very comfortable with for a pariod of a year... yes I could do with a lot less but if I planned to go for a year that's what I'd take.

wilekayote

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
sydney
Knife
Stainless steel cooking pot
water bottle
fold down water container
paracord
axe
snare wire
fishing kit
sharpener
fold down pick shovel
catapult plus spare elastic
saw + spare blades
flint
matches
couple of bic lighters
bicylcle inner tube
monica bellucci
multi tool
survival bushcraft book (the closest match to the environment)
survival tabs (just one tub)
juice plus (2 containers of each)
seeds of things I could grow and eat
waterproof jacket
first aid kit
first aid book
good boots
spare socks
1 spare pair of trousers
1 pair shorts
3 shirts
3 tshirts
buff
1 sun hat
drambuie
1 balaclava
1 fleece
epirb
thermals
sleeping bag
tent (only if mosquito or midge threat)
wind up radio/torch
12 bars of chocolate
gloves

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Quite depends on where you are going for that year and your skill level. Also depends on wether you are vegetarian, omnivore..alone or in company of a friend or a beter half?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
2 billy cans
1 large frying pan
1 large axe
1 small axe
1 sheath knife
1 small knife
1 large ring auger
1 large saw
2 firesteels
14 pairs of socks
12 pairs underwear
4 pairs trousers
4 shirts
1 jumper
1 scarf
5 pairs gardeding gloves
1 jacket
1000ft paracord
1 shovel
fishing kit
snares
Bow + arrows
hat
good boots
1 sleeping bag
1 fleece liner for sleeping bag

the thing about spending a year out in the wild is that you would build a cabin so structure that would be solid and last, your needs would change from survival to settling and that changes the tools... I would think so anyway.

The above is a list of things I would be very comfortable with for a pariod of a year... yes I could do with a lot less but if I planned to go for a year that's what I'd take.

..............and some beer.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
PMSL medium sized rucksack! Looking at the lists so far I'd like to see a truck take that much gear LMAO!

I forgot to add a canoe to my list too damnit! it won't fit in a rucksack either... it will strap to the outside though, if it likes it or not... the walk in distance wasn't specified ;)

I figure that to live in the wild for 365 days with no other resources I would base my list on the story of dick proenneke... He was going to do the same for a year... it ended up being 30 or so but I guess he had about the same stuff... plus a few other bits like cement mix.

I could get by with a 25 litre pack but 365 days dreaming of a nice well made cabin would tick me right off :D

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
I figure that to live in the wild for 365 days with no other resources I would base my list on the story of dick proenneke... He was going to do the same for a year... it ended up being 30 or so but I guess he had about the same stuff... plus a few other bits like cement mix.

Remember though, the guy had a friend comming to ressuply him from time to time with his small plane :)

Probably my favorite bushcrafter I must say !

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Remember though, the guy had a friend comming to ressuply him from time to time with his small plane :)

Probably my favorite bushcrafter I must say !

Yeah but that was only twice a year... if I was only there for a year I could probably do without the floatplane... Of course, i'd be a complete basket case after a year of complete solitude but that matters not :lmao:

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Yeah but that was only twice a year... if I was only there for a year I could probably do without the floatplane... Of course, i'd be a complete basket case after a year of complete solitude but that matters not :lmao:

True (both for the floatplane and basket case) ! :D

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
poncho (2x), synthetic sleeping bag -30C, foam mat, fire starter kit, big knife (2x),
multi tool, rifle, revolver, ammunition, string, wire, fishing kit, first aid, water purifier
(+extra ceramic), communication (internet), compass (2x), maps, signal kit,
clothing: 4 pieces + extras, pot(solo), lamp (2x) +solar..., saw(+blades),
axe(2x), sunglasses,mosquito net, salt, dog(2x), woman(1x),
Neccessaire(and Kenzo deodorant)

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
thanks for the input, im just trying to put together a pack that covers as many bases as possible and isnt too heavy (im a lazy so and so).
I am planning an extended time in the wild somewhere maybe not for a year and probably not totally isolated but as close as i can get.
I often think the ideal would be to get ten to twenty bushcrafters together pool resources raise funds buy an island and live on it.
Its a bit of a far out idea but in my optimists imagination a goodun.
reality it would probably be lord of the flys time when the booze ran out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE