What works and what does not work. Medicine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
Just wondered if anyone had got good or bad results from off the shelf products or bush remedies. These are a few of mine.

1) Always found iodine very good for cuts and grazes as its not greasy like all the antiseptic creams and it's multi use. It also really hurts on cuts so it must be doing something good!

2) Dock leaves - rubbish for nettle stings. Never found off the shelf products help much either.

3) sugar and soap on a plaster for drawing out a splinter works well.

Regards Chris

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
use the sap from the nettle itself on the sting, works for me:)

That makes sense Southey. Nettle stings are acidic, and most plant saps alkaline. I find dock sap works for me, but lots of folks seem to just rub the rash with a leaf then wonder why it doesn't work. That said in general the odd nettle sting is best treated by just ignoring it for twenty minutes or so.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Comfrey root and stems mashed and applied as a poultice for knocks, twists and trauma not involving cuts.

Works dam well, contains a plant based steriod called Allantonin promoting cell proliferation and wound healing; and a soothing, anti-irritant, and skin protectant effect by forming complexes with irritant and sensitizing agents. A study published in 2009 reported the treatment of pruritus in mild-to-moderate atopic dermatitis with a topical non-steroidal agent containing allantoin.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
On a daily basis, Tramadol, Paracetamol, Indometacin, Omeprazole, Ventolin, Alopurinol and sometimes Oramorph works for me, can't find any 'natural' remedies that work as well;)

OP, watch how you use iodine, you can get 'iodine burn', something for you to google.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
On a daily basis......Ventolin......can't find any 'natural' remedies that work as well;)......

you ever tried caffeine rick? i used to use ventolin inhalers probably about 5 times a day, then read some dubious homeopathy book that told me that there's a chemical that appears in caffeine that is more or less identical to ventolin. it means quite a high intake of caffeine (something like a mug an hour), but does appear to work for me. i'll see if i can find the book out.

cheers

stuart

Comfrey root and stems mashed and applied as a poultice for knocks, twists and trauma not involving cuts.

Works dam well, contains a plant based steriod called Allantonin promoting cell proliferation and wound healing; and a soothing, anti-irritant, and skin protectant effect by forming complexes with irritant and sensitizing agents. A study published in 2009 reported the treatment of pruritus in mild-to-moderate atopic dermatitis with a topical non-steroidal agent containing allantoin.

I agree with you, Mr. Snakes. The only precaution is that comfrey will heal wounds too quickly and cause abscesses. You did mention that comfrey is great for non bleeding breaks and sprains. I have to agree with you. Good stuff.

Also, great for burns. Not at first. Irrigate the burn with tap water for 20 minutes to remove the burning. Then put a comfrey plaster on it and replace every 20 minutes... Great stuff.

Varangian

Dec 28, 2012
Norway
When I was a smoker, I used to chew some tobacco and used this spittle & tobacco mix on bee-stings, mozzie-itches and nettle-stings. I don't 'carry' anymore, but my S.O. do, so I steal some from her whenever I need. ;-)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Bicarbonate of soda on scalds / bad sunburn. Never heard of this before a few weeks ago when I decided to pour a pan of boiling water down my hand (as you do :rolleyes:). I did the normal of getting it under cold water for a long time. But afterwards when it was stinging like a **** some one said to make a thick paste from it and apply it like a poultice in a bandage. Left it on for maybe an hour, no stinging, blistering and just a little red skin to show for it.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Did I once read that next to cuts, burns are the most common complaint from people who spend time outdoors?
I once recieved a few tubes of something called Solaraze, incorrectly, from the chemist, which is prescription only, for bad sunburn. Active ingredient is diclofenac sodium. Its like a clear jelly.
But it works absolutely brilliantly on all skin burns. Always take one with me.

For bad sunburn, if you're on your hols, without meds, lie on your front, and get your otyher half to cover your back in plum tomatoes straight from the tin. [Even better after sitting in the fridge for a while] Takes that stinging/itching straight off.

Last edited:
At the start of summer last year i was in the Lake District and had sharp stomach cramps at night while i lay in my tent. I found some Tormentil growing in the grass the next morning, it is one hell of a medicine plant and is defiantly worth knowing especially if you spend time in the mountains as its quite common there. It treats both constipation and diarrhea and so much more, a quick google search will give you lots of remedies.

Ste.

Last edited:

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
For cuts, grazes, and burns I use calendula ointment which is made for me by a friend. I have used it for over 10 years now because I find it works for me. Especially good on burns.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE