First Aid and Medical Kit for Travel to Africa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First Aid and Medical Kit Packing List
* Prescription Antibiotics: If you get an infection you may want to treat yourself since the closest hospital could be far away. Your doctor at home should be able to prescribe the right antibiotic that will treat a wide range of ailments, ciprofloxacin is one.

* Anti-diarrheal Medication: Travelers diarrhea is very commonplace and you can usually leave it to nature to sort itself out. But if you're about to embark on a long car, bus or train ride, it's handy to have some medicine available.

* Painkillers and anti-inflammatories: Advil, aspirin, and Tylenol.

* Antihistamines: for allergic reactions. Benadryl works well and if you have severe allergies (to peanuts or bee-stings for example) you should always take at least 2 epi-pens with you.

* Antibacterial ointment/powder: Cuts and sores can get infected quite quickly in the tropics. Bactroban is a prescription cream that is effective and personally I always bring some antibiotic powder with me which can be applied without having to use a band aid as well.

* Anti-malaria pills: Check with your local travel clinic which malarial prophylactics will work best for the region you are planning to travel in. There's also a self-diagnostic kit that you can bring along to check if you have malaria by pricking your finger. More information about malaria ...

* Hydrocortisone Cream: For allergic skin reactions and itchy bug bites.

* Bandages, band aids, gauze and gauze rolls with adhesive tape

* Scissors, safety pins and tweezers: Some Swiss army knives have scissors and tweezers that will do fine, just make sure don't pack it in your hand luggage.

* Thermometer

* Insect Repellent with DEET: Whether you're a fan of DEET or not, it's the only stuff that'll work in Africa and it's better than getting malaria or dengue fever.

* Sun Block

* Oral Rehydration Salts: If you pack these and have any left, give them to someone who may be able to use these locally before you go. Dehydration kills many young children in Africa and a simple rehydration kit can save a life.

* Iodine Tablets: Bottled water isn't always available in more remote places and you may not be able to boil your own easily. These tablets won't taste so good (mix with orange squash to make it more palatable) but the water will be safe.

* Syringes and Sterile Needles: Since HIV/AIDS is spread through dirty needles, it's a good idea to bring your own along since some rural hospitals are forced to re-use theirs.

* Antiseptic Hand Wipes

Travelers Medical Insurance
It is very important that you get some insurance to cover any medical costs while you travel in Africa. Most of the time you'll probably pay out of your own pocket and get re-imbursed from the insurance company. So make sure you have a credit card or extra cash set aside for this purpose. Keep your receipts and make sure you are treated by a licensed medical proffessional.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
any chance of an intro from yourself rtyhgn85? you've started a few threads now with some interesting info in them but with no explanation of who you are or what it is that qualifies you to be stating these "facts". i personally find it a little worrying that someone would start two threads on the same day, one which comes across as an expert opinion about medical supplies for an african trip and one which asks what happens if you have no insurance and you get yourself into an accident, i find it hard to believe that someone could put forwards an informed opinion about the one without having at least some knowledge about the other.

sorry if my reply seems a little acusative/confrontational, it's just that i like to know a little about the people whom i recieve advice from.

oh yeah, welcome to the forum

stuart

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What Stuart said :approve:

Toddy

On further thought. Cut and paste web plagiarism isn't to be encouraged.

Thread closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE