What vehicle for bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
For some perverted reason, I'd love a go of an Ecorider..... :D

leisure2.jpg

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I've read the topic with interest.. Some thoughts of me:

I think biodiesel being carbon neutral is an absolute false statement. Since most biodiesel is coming from Brazil (sugar cane) and South East Asia ( palm oil plantations) where they destroy forests full of life to plant biodiesel crops in a monoculture (so the land has much less life, less co2 intake then it had before). Those crops are probably raised with oil as fertilizer, pesticide, etc and then shipped in big tankers to europe. But if you are making it locally it can be carbon neutral, though that only works for a small group, if all the cars have to be biodiesel then we probably are going to starve to death because the cars are eating everything up...

Just a link: http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2005/12/06/worse-than-fossil-fuel/

Here in Gent we have a "ghent bio energy valley". I went to a conference about it. And it's just absolutely rediculous. They say they make eco friendly fuel there, but everything comes from the other side of the planet and then it's just the last step of the process which is done here.

Me I decided for myself never to fly, nor buy a car. I live in a very small caravan, don't have electricity, running water or whatever... I sometimes lend a car though, and I already went on vacation to norway for two weeks and now I'm going 3 weeks to italy (by bus, even if flying is cheaper..)... I don't think I'm holier then anyone, coz actually I just do this because I like it more. I'm too lazy to go working more to pay for a car and I enjoy biking much more. I don't like big houses etc.... I find traveling by bus much more relaxed then traveling by air, I really hate all those scanners and the way those employees are in airports... Though I don't like public transport in general, I like traveling by foot or bike even more, but yea... my girlfriend is italian and we have to go visit her family... she can't miss them. But I don't mind not seeing mine all too much so we'll move to italy next year ;).

Another thought, wouldn't there be less pollution if the roads weren't maintained anymore and people drived in off road vehicles like landrovers? :)

Anyway, I did look at some the cars here, and they look interesting, since I live in a caravan it would maybe be nice to once have a car to pull it ;) . Last week I saw an awesome three wheeled motorbike pulling a caravan on on the highway! It looked really great and I like motorbikes more then cars... Maybe I'll never buy a car but maybe I buy a big polluting motorbike ;)

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
havingagiraffe said:
Funky... :D and for $200 extra they'll supply it in camouflage :rolleyes:

Wow that one looks really cool :), nice accesoires ! Now lets see if it can pull a caravan too and I'm sold :p

edit: hmm they don't seem to drive so fast, I could just as well go by bike :(

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Hi Match

A vote for a old subaru legacy - you can pick them up for peanuts - look in the Angus section of autotrader ( a lot of farmers use them)

good 4wd , good emissions - i tried really hard to break one and couldn't

also no-one will look at it twice in the street (i lived in the centre of edinburgh for over 10 years and even my bangers got vandalised)

Alternatively get the bus up to Balerno and just get out in the pentlands and walk back :)

Cheers

Graham

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
I must admit I had never thought about old subaru's. The only problem can be ground clearance, so as always I guess it depends on where you are going to be using it and how bad the ground it.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Martyn said:
OK, I'm gonna get flamed for this, I'm sure, but...
I have to say, I'm horrified at all the "get a landrover" responses.

For people who are supposed to be the custodians of the countryside with "take only photo's and leave only footprints" as an often cited catchphrase, the suggestions for landrovers are crazy. They are one of the most environmentally unfriendly vehicles on the road, not just because they chew the place up (...if you are not off-roading, why have one?), but because they consume horrendous amounts of fuel and pump buckets of CO2 into the sky. The guy asked for suggestions for a bushcraft vehicle. I think the obvious answer is not a landrover, but "catch the bus and walk the rest". I appreciate that is probably a little unrealistic, but I think it's a lot closer to a "bushcraft" solution, than a 110. Certainly given the chaps remit of...

Shouldnt we be recommenting an economical, environmentally friendly town car - most cars can run up a dirt track, maybe something a bit ruggedized, but that stops a long way short of an old 110.

Personally, I'd love an old landy, but I have virtually no need at all for taking one off-roading (very few people genuinely do) and I simply cant justify chucking all that crap into the environment just because I fancy myself in one.

I would buy a freelander TD4 though, 34mpg and lower CO2 emissions than most family saloons. They get the environment green light, but are just about the only vehicle in the range that does and you wont get one for £5k.

I do appreciate that people take thier vehicles off-road on occasion, or live on farms, or long ways down dirt tracks in the sticks, and that's fine (if you really, really do), I have no issue with those folks. But that's not this chaps spot. He wants a town vehicle, a luggage humper and a shopping trolley, with the ability to hump his load to the edge of the woods on a weekend. Is that honestly landrover teritory?

Shouldnt bushcrafters be encouraging the protection of the environment, rather than the destruction of it? Or am I missing something?

I think "bushcraft vehicle" is an oxymoron, with the only answers being..

walk
paddle
ride

agree totally, it seems most have forgotten what it will be used for, i would say a susuki jimny, cheap and cheerful, not to bad on fuel, and the enviroment, and will go some places a 110 will struggle.

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
MikeS said:
I must admit I had never thought about old subaru's. The only problem can be ground clearance, so as always I guess it depends on where you are going to be using it and how bad the ground it.

Good point Mike , - but honestly the dirty dirty tracks tracks i've seen some old Subarus go up makes me think that it's a capable motor for 99% of people , (one of the landlords in the pentlands (outside edinburgh)has used an old rusty beaten up Justy for years all year round and i'm sure its still going strong)
They also seem to be very popular here in NZ as an alternative to a jeep type 4wd.

However if you are talking going "proper" off roading then i'm not the right person to comment on this at all so belay this info :)

It's gripped, its sorted

LETS OFF ROAD!

cheers

:)

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
"and there was me about to fly to the states to buy a custom-built Hummer H1 for popping down to the shops with" - I kid you not, someone in Poole has just done this!

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
dave k said:
"and there was me about to fly to the states to buy a custom-built Hummer H1 for popping down to the shops with" - I kid you not, someone in Poole has just done this!
A man after my own heart. :You_Rock_ I love a day out green laning, fun to mix with a day in the woods and collecting a bit of firewood.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
dave k said:

Does it come with it's own fuel tanker trailer? :p

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
dave k said:

I live round the corner from the arsenal training ground. Several of the squad have those things, but the blinged upto the eyeball model. Hideous things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE