What vehicle for bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've been driving now for many years, but never my own vehicle - living in Edinburgh means that the need for one is quite low, since everything is in walking distance, and the buses are good for farther away places.

However, every now and then I think that I should consider investing in a vehicle (second-hand, reliable, not new or flashy) that will get me, some people and/or some equipment from A->B with as little effort as possible.

My only real limiting factors are:

Cost to buy - nothing more than say 5-6 grand - its not something I'll be using regularly (once/twice a week at most I expect).

Size - nothing vast or tiny - I don't need a tank or a mini (I'm 6'4" and wanting to park most of the time in a city, and at least drive in and out of it.

Running - I need something that doesn't cost the earth to fix, isn't too picky about not being run every day, and isn't too environmentally horrible to run (yes, I know that really rules out all vehicles :) )

So - any suggestions? What do other people use? Any general or specific comments about choosing? I'm interested to see what the bushcrafter-about-countryside drives about in (you don't ALL drive 4x4's do you? :confused: )

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Match,
The obvious answer to your needs is a Land Rover, either the utilitarian 90 or 110 or a Discovery. They are plentiful and you should get a good one for your budget. I, however have reservations. Although the Land Rover products are relatively easy to maintain and the spares are quite cheap they do break down too frequently compared to the competition from Japan.
Japanese 4x4's in comparison are often cheaper and although they can not be considered as capable off-road "out of the box" with a few simple modofications they can be made every bit as good as the products from Solihull.
Worth consideration in no particular order are: Isuzu Trooper, Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota 4-Runner and Surf and the Mitsubishi Shogun.
Hope this helps,
Tack

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Thanks for your prompt answer!

My one worry with 4x4's is the fuel costs - I've not really got any idea whether its true, but I'm led to believe that you can't really expect more than 15-20 mpg out of them (especially older Landrovers).

Considering most of the driving will be getting in and out of the city, when most vehicles are least efficient, this might all add up (both economically and environmentally!)

So can anyone give me a better idea of the mpg's of various 4x4's? (real life estimates, not the optimistic manufacturers ones :rolleyes: )

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
How many people actually use a 4x4 as an offroad vehicle and I don't mean just forestry Tracks??

I have a Citroen 2cv which I have taken where 4x4's fear to tread but maybe thats because they are frightened of scratching them.

How many People run round in a 4x4 because its the in thing to be seen in. .
Sort of I'm a Bushcrafter therefore I drive a 4x4 sort of thing.

We have loads of nice shiny ones up here, I have a friend who panicked recently because the bracken and brambles which overhang the track down to our house rubbed on his shiny Isuzu, then I have a mate who uses his in 4x4 trials and his looks like it has been in the wars.
I know which one I prefer and its not the shiny one>

sparks

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2005
bothyman said:
How many people actually use a 4x4 as an offroad vehicle and I don't mean just forestry Tracks??>

me
i drive a j reg. land rover discovery and take it everywhere (that i am aloud to go)
the disco serves all my needs and is my only car.
i get between 25 and 30 mpg this is not to good but i need a large vehicle for work and i cannot afford to run a van and a car.
you can get them quite cheep this one cost me just over £2000

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
One thing i haven't seen mentioned, is if you are of the larger shape it is actually easier to get in to a landy because the seat is at a sensible height. You don't have to do contortions to get in the car if someone parks too close in a car park...at least that's what i found... :rolleyes:

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
I think if you consider an ex Army, Land Rover 90, your needs will be met. I say ex Army because they are cheap and very basic. Either hard top or soft top is available, or both so you can alternate depending on season. The engine will be 2.5 diesel, non turbo. These engines don't allow great speeds, but are economical (30mpg depending on driving methods), and reliable. Parts are easily obtainable and they are easy enough to service yourself. You may have to get hold of a manual and learn the basics of maintenance. This way, you'll learn to recognise any problems and know how to rectify them. They are very capable off road(snow) and are capable of carrying or towing huge amounts.
The body is made of aluminium and so won't rust. This can't be said for the steel parts such as chassis or bulkhead, rear cross member. So, a good clean up and coat of the excellent Waxoyl will help to prevent any rust from setting in.
They aren't known as the most comfortable of vehicles, but I have never found any discomfort. What I like is the way you can bolt things into the back, such as tool boxes, shovels,boxes for camping equipment, and various other things so everything is all neat and tidy.
Other vehicles would be more comfortable, would have a better stereo, heater, windscreen wipers,be faster and quieter, but may be more expensive and more difficult to maintain. For about £3500, you'll get a good 90 or 110.
If I didn't have a Land Rover, I'd get, er,hmm..............................
Julian.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Match

I recently bought a citroen Berlingo and I love it.

I had very similar requirements to you - besides the fact that I needed loads of ground clearance cos I live way up a deeply rutted track.

I have an Isuzu trooper as well but it eats fuel and costs a lot to keep on the road so it only comes out if I'm towing or in bad winter weather.

The Berlingo will easily carry 5 adults plus a load of kit. It's rear door opens all the way up and has a great load space with lots of tie down D rings. The seats are at a comfortable height and it gives a similar drivers view to that of a 4x4. Loads of glass and great visibility. It's only got an inch or two less ground clearance than the Trooper.

A 3 year old with average miles will cost way less than £5000 and it's cheap to run. The 1.9 litre diesel engine is pretty good and it handles the long runs in to town from here no problem. You'll see loads of them up here (NW Highlands) as more people find out how good they are on the sort of roads we've got up here.

George

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Is this battered enough

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

The spare is on the off side front as I got another puncture off-roading.
I take her off-road just about everyday on my adventures around the isle. She gets scrapped by branches the stearing guard and diffs get grounded but nothing has stopped her yet.
"She may be old and slow but she's in front of you and will go where you daren't follow" is the legend I want on a spare wheel cover.
I would say get a Landie as they are the most fun you can have with your trousers on. You can do tons of stuff with them that you can't with an ordinary car.
Oldpictures183.jpg

And I bet you can't do this with a 2CV :D

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I ment the tent :D
I saw a TV programme a few years ago about 2CV's and they were awesome off-road and the presenter reckoned they had the best suspension system ever.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
george said:
Match

I recently bought a citroen Berlingo and I love it.

The Berlingo will easily carry 5 adults plus a load of kit. It's rear door opens all the way up and has a great load space with lots of tie down D rings. The seats are at a comfortable height and it gives a similar drivers view to that of a 4x4. Loads of glass and great visibility. It's only got an inch or two less ground clearance than the Trooper.

Berlingos look funky and are a favourite with local taxi drivers. I've seen a few with four wheel drive. Just a shame they're not quite long enough to sleep in the back. :( The old Peugeot 405 turbo diesels are great too. Comfy, reliable, economical. Mine went to 191,000 miles before a failed head gasket sent it to the scrapyard. L reg onwards have air conditioning as standard. You can get a minter for under £500.
bothyman said:
I have a Citroen 2cv which I have taken where 4x4's fear to tread but maybe thats because they are frightened of scratching them.

The 2CV's definitely worth a look. We only got the basic saloon in this country. On the continent they have long wheelbase vans and pick ups, the plastic bodied Mehari Mini Moke lookalike and the twin engined, twin gearboxed Sahara model with four wheel drive. Every time I lay a spanner on my Land Rover I spot a flaw which should have been ironed out at the design stage. Every time I look at a 2CV I think "wow, that's clever bit of engineering."

I think the photo below's a Citroen publicity shot from the mid seventies.

Attachments

• 2cv in desert.jpg
    2cv in desert.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 587

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
Winches are best fitted in pairs. Just a note the vehicle belongs to a friend, and the event was held abroad and was an international competition.

Back to the original question, range rover classic V8 with LPG conversion. Spares are cheap, theres plenty of them around, loads of room, fits under carpark barriers, rear loadspace protectors are available and can tow most things. Dont be put of by 4x4, the arent usually mutch bigger than a largish car, fuel economy is similar to most people carriers, spares can be cheap (my complete exhuats cost £38 new from a shop) and 2nd hand prices are low.

jim_cro.jpg

R-J

Forager
Jan 26, 2005
norwich
i'm between car's at the mo', but when i'm gonna be looking for an old astra van/estate i think. they seem to be the 1st choice of most outdoors people i know (afew gamekeeprs/foresters i know have them, and some of my shooting mates). they're not gonna get any of the places that a 4X4 will go, but they are cheap, easy to fix, and can carry a whole loads of kit.

match, if your wanting something to get you from a-b with your kit, then want to go over the roughstuff on you own 2 feet (or bike or what ever) prety much any family hatch/estate will do. i think they put a tick in all your boxes. they, however, arent that bushy to look at but hey, if it works it works.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
if i was feeling flush, i would have one of these (i was sat in the back when the photo was taken at Billing - it all depends on who you know !!) :cool: :

Attachments

• rrsport in mud pool.jpg
    rrsport in mud pool.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 538

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE