What vehicle for bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
TallMikeM said:
I live round the corner from the arsenal training ground. Several of the squad have those things, but the blinged upto the eyeball model. Hideous things.

So did/do I!! I was up in those nasty tower blocks that peer into the new ground, but now I'm only there at weekends. Trouble is, you need a Hummer to traverse the god damned awful roads around there...

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
Well said!!
My Lowa's have always managed to get me to where I wanted to be :)
Phil.
Often when I do my boots up nice and tight and they feel sturdy and comfy it reminds me of something my dad said to me when I was 16. I just made the team for our county rugby squad and he took me to buy some new boots, I tried them on lacing them up nice and tight and he said; "how do they feel?.. If they feel like you could fight a war and take on the world with'em your in the right boots." :) lol.

Nightwalker said:
<snip>..he said; "how do they feel?.. If they feel like you could fight a war and take on the world with'em your in the right boots." :) lol.

WHAT A SPOT ON QUOTE!!!!

That is the exact feeling I get when I've cleaned, waxed and slip into my old Lowa boots!

There is no better form of travel than a pair of good boots - and I've never had a pair breakdown on me when I needed them the most nor give me a nasty surprise bill when they needed an MOT <read TLC> :lmao:

I LOVE MY BOOTS :aargh4:

:lmao:

Phil.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Actually getting back on topic for a sec - someone above mentioned that their 60mpg car in 5 years would put out less CO2 than a 30year old landrover.

This is technically correct, but if you have to make a new car every 5 years this is incredibly costly in terms of CO2 and dangerous emmission's. Whatcar have just done a green-car survey, and it points out that the new landrover discovery is greener to manufacture than a toyota prius. If the LR lasts you 20 years and the prius only 10, you're still better off keeping the LR going as long as it can. Since these new hybric cars are incredibly complex there is more manafacturing required - hence less green.

Painting a car is perhaps the worst environmentally damaging thing you can do - the amount of noxious chemical's that are used are incredible.

I'm surprised that FOTE or Greenpeace has not done research on this. e.g. if you keep an old car going for 10 years instead of buying a newer model, you save X amount of co2, chemicals, etc.etc.

The short of it is if you buy a car keep it going as long as you can, if you want to me more green!

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
dave k said:
Actually getting back on topic for a sec -
I'm surprised that FOTE or Greenpeace has not done research on this. e.g. if you keep an old car going for 10 years instead of buying a newer model, you save X amount of co2, chemicals, etc.etc.
:rolleyes: I think our chatter about the boots was more on-topic! :p Only joking bud ;)

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
if money is nothing of an issue and if you have about one and a half years time to have one made to your specifications: Desert Challenger by Actionmobil

They custom recycle ex Nato MAN CAT anti aircraft missile launchers: 12m long, 3m wide, 600hp, 8x8 drive train, 30tonns, 5mpg (better start drilling for oil on your lawn), granite floor - a real bargain for about € 1.5 million
www.actionmobil.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album10

cyclist said:
if money is nothing of an issue and if you have about one and a half years time to have one made to your specifications: Desert Challenger by Actionmobil

They custom recycle ex Nato MAN CAT anti aircraft missile launchers: 12m long, 3m wide, 600hp, 8x8 drive train, 30tonns, 5mpg (better start drilling for oil on your lawn), granite floor - a real bargain for about € 1.5 million

WOW - checked out link to the "bargain" - it looked very comprehensive, BUT where is the "long log" fire in the lounge area and where should do you leave your muddy boots, or does the Butler clean them :lmao:

Phil.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
seamonkey said:
Good point Mike , - but honestly the dirty dirty tracks tracks i've seen some old Subarus go up makes me think that it's a capable motor for 99% of people , (one of the landlords in the pentlands (outside edinburgh)has used an old rusty beaten up Justy for years all year round and i'm sure its still going strong)
They also seem to be very popular here in NZ as an alternative to a jeep type 4wd...

Wooo Justy! Got mine for £500 and it would go where my mate's suzuki King Quad couldn't. Unfortunately, after about 90000 miles of abuse the head gasket went, and it moved on to the big car park in the sky. :(

Neil

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
WOW - checked out link to the "bargain" - it looked very comprehensive, BUT where is the "long log" fire in the lounge area and where should do you leave your muddy boots, or does the Butler clean them :lmao:

Phil.

the Butler follows in one of the smaller 4x4 or 6x6 Actionmobils, a third Actionmobil (or a HEMT) carries the spare fuel :D

Btw, wasn´t here a discussion about eco friendly vehicles? Now you´ll get an idea how eco friendly old Landys are, just imagine the engergy it takes to fabricate those 8 big tires :yelrotflm

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
dave k said:
Actually getting back on topic for a sec - someone above mentioned that their 60mpg car in 5 years would put out less CO2 than a 30year old landrover.

This is technically correct, but if you have to make a new car every 5 years this is incredibly costly in terms of CO2 and dangerous emmission's. Whatcar have just done a green-car survey, and it points out that the new landrover discovery is greener to manufacture than a toyota prius. If the LR lasts you 20 years and the prius only 10, you're still better off keeping the LR going as long as it can. Since these new hybric cars are incredibly complex there is more manafacturing required - hence less green.

Painting a car is perhaps the worst environmentally damaging thing you can do - the amount of noxious chemical's that are used are incredible.

The short of it is if you buy a car keep it going as long as you can, if you want to me more green!

Great point.

More people should look further then their nose and look at production costs etc because they are almost never included when talking about how environmentally friendly a product like a car, computer, mobile phone, etc is. Some environmentalists will say it's more environmentally friendly to buy a new tft monitor for instance because it uses less power, but they forget about what to do with the old working monitor which probably ends up as highly toxic waste on a dump in africa or asia.

I guess that's why it's possible, the pollution of production and waste is almost all externalized to other countries where we aren't. Problem solved.

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
gunnix said:
Great point.

More people should look further then their nose and look at production costs etc because they are almost never included when talking about how environmentally friendly a product like a car, computer, mobile phone, etc is. Some environmentalists will say it's more environmentally friendly to buy a new tft monitor for instance because it uses less power, but they forget about what to do with the old working monitor which probably ends up as highly toxic waste on a dump in africa or asia.

I guess that's why it's possible, the pollution of production and waste is almost all externalized to other countries where we aren't. Problem solved.

Here here. If I'm not careful I could easily get on my hobby horse about the "Throw away society" :You_Rock_

Mike

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
cyclist said:

Now that's what I call a vehicle for bushcraft. :lmao: :lmao:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
dave k said:
Since these new hybric cars are incredibly complex there is more manafacturing required - hence less green.

The most enviromentally friendly car at the moment would be the simplest diesel you could find, because they can be converted to Veg fuel, which I think has a positive effect. One of the big advantages to Land Rovers is that the number one conversion is to put a diesel engine in one.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
diesel exhaust contains particles harmful to your lung, high pressure direct injection systems create even smaller particles going deeper in lunges. No need for smoking if one wants cancer
Diesel vehicles may be environmetally friendly if equipped with a particle filter.
Bio diesel is just a way to unnessesary convert vegoil - it´s an easy way to make money for some companies

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
Amen to this one.. The amount of smog that I had to put up with cycling to work in the buslanes was dreadfull. Worse in the summer, since the local council banned people from cycling on the promenade from Poole to Bournemouth - nose to tail behind a smog-chugging diesel bus for 10 miles... nice..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE