What use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

snag68

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2005
Birmingham UK
Or the one in a thousand chance the knife folds back during heavy use. It only has to happen once..

I've had a decent quality gerber fold back on me once, it is a liner lock. Fortunately I felt the blade move and avoided serious injury.

Dazz

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Personally a fixed blade gives me a lot more assurance that I`m not going to loose a finger or impale myself during heavy cutting work.
I do have various folding blade knives which I use for lighter more detailed work but even with a good locking system you just never know.

Choose wisely

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I wouldn't be happy using any kind of battoning technique with a folder. A fixed blade can be used like a froe or a chisel without having to worry.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Without going too much into the techniques that a folder cannot safely accomplish, here's my 2p.
A folder has an inherent weakness - namely, that the blade hasn't really got a tang. Because the bottom of the blade is simply screwed/pinned/riveted to the handle, the wear and tear isn't evenly distributed. If you use a folder too heavily, eventually something will give - maybe the locking mechanism, and you could risk losing your fingers, maybe the blade will come off altogether. A full tang knife distributes 'weight' much better across the full length of the knife - so does a stick tang, but I wouldn't say as well as a full tang.
Folders have their uses, as does a full tang/stick tang. Folders are not (strictly speaking & generalising) made for very heavy duty tasks, full tangs/stick tangs are. I see no reason why you couldn't do certain carving jobs with a folder, game prep etc, but if you really need a knife you can depend on through thick and thin, hard wood, soft wood, etc etc, a full/stick tang is the way to go ;)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I simply see no need to carry a folder. I wouldn't use one without a locking mechanism so it wouldn't be legal carry. As that is the case I carry a fixed blade knife when I have a legitimate need to do so, ie, when bushcrafting.
Also, they are heavy and expensive.
I do have a folding, locking stanley type knife for work. It will sharpen a pencil or open a bag. That's about all I'd ask of a folder.

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
I'd think the better question is what can you do with the folder that you can't do with a good fixed blade? (assuming you're legally allowed to carry it and have a reason).

OutBackP

Jul 5, 2006
Bridport, Dorset
The way I see it, a knife is only a tool and it's down to your experiance to pick the right tool for the job. When your alone in the bush the best knife is the one you've got with you. Hence why folders are great. More likely to be with you. But whenever I go fishing or get lost I've always got a fixed blade with me. Why easier to use and personaly I find them more comfertable. It's your choice which you carry but you have to wonder why most people who live in the bush(wilderness) alway's have a fixed blade. Like a chef in a kitchen they use it everyday, and need all the above factors. If you rarely use your knife then carry a folder.
Well thats my 2 cents worth.

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
As the law stands I just don't see that lock knives have any advantage over fixed blades.
If I want a knife to carry within the law then it's a SAK but mostly for the tools. If I have a reason for it then it's a fixed blade as has already been said they are just stronger and safer.

Geoff

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I prefer a fixed blade for several reasons. Mainly a full-tang knife is nearly unbreakable. It can do work that a folder of any type cannot handle. Also a knife is the most important piece of kit you can have in a survival situation, better be a sturdy one!
Another prime reason for me is that many solid fixed knives are lighter or no heavier than a quality folder. I consider a folder as a backup knife or an everyday carry knife for opening parcels and cutting tape and such. For any work in the bush, always a fixed blade. The better the quality, the happier I am.
Cheers :)

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
fixed knives have more comfortable handles for carving, folding ones id imagine are quite bad for carving especially if small

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE