What type of edge do you prefer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What type of Edge do you prefer?

• Scandi Grind

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Convex

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Sabre

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Full Flat (secondary bevel)

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Hollow

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Zero grind

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Dave, if it's any help I can edit the poll and ad another category or two if you want?

I know how frustrating it is when you're just after answers to what you've asked and it goes wonky...:D

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
You're just showing off Mark with your superior knowledge of all things sharp;):p
You beat me to it!!!
Just for the record if I had to pick one grind for everything it would be a full flat with high secondary bevel.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dave, if it's any help I can edit the poll and ad another category or two if you want?

I know how frustrating it is when you're just after answers to what you've asked and it goes wonky...:D

Cheers Tony, didnt realise you cant just delete one. Mark, why dont you suggest another couple of categories then? :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Whats really the difference between a full flat zero a sabre zero and a scandi (zero ?). If the blade thickness is different the angles are the same. I like a zero grind, as do many others as you do not get the snatch on the wrist when slicing that you do with a double bevel secondary bevel when the one side of the knife wishes to dig in, if thats any help.

joshiecole

Apr 30, 2012
london
My day to day favourite is the chisel grind on my edc kiridashi. It's essentially half a scandi grind and is a bit like a pocket paring chisel.

dac40586f9f5348a4ab101a537d145bf_zpshhinxbcm.jpg

023a359e6901a1f3872b767a4729051e_zps22kv2fx8.jpg

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Short Nordic Grind

Part of Alan Wood's account of designing the RM Woodlore Knife:

"He (Ray) still wanted the short bevel grind and explained that most people who attended his courses weren’t necessarily 'knife people' and that it would be easier for them to sharpen if they could lay the whole bevel on the hone. Also, he needed the wedge-like edge that it produced for specific Bushcraft tasks and controlled woodworking cuts."

K

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
He ain't got serrated there......

But seriously -
I like all edges - but for different applications ... Convex for heavy tasks, Zero for fine carving and so on.
I guess Scandi makes the best compromise all rounder edge that is easy to field maintain

Last edited:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I quite like a chisel grind. Single bevel like on a side axe or draw knife. My kiridashi is great for leatherwork.

The poll is for general all round use so I won't bother adding them.

It's a case of choosing the right tool for the job after you take away personal preferences of beauty and design.

The knife I pick up most often these days is my Bark River Mini Canadian. It fits my hands nicely, skins and dismembers game easily. Whittles a spoon and I can do fine carving with it. Holds an edge nicely. Glad I got it when I did as I couldn't justify the price now. It's a convex edges easy enough to field sharpen.

K813ZRA

May 1, 2015
Spain
This really depends on the tool but for knives I typically zero them out. For a woods knife I typically use a zero scandi. For a camp blade or chopper a zero convex but these seem to be harder and harder to find so you typically have to remove the secondary yourself. Most of mi whittling tools are what I guess you would call a nearly full flat zero grind. If not then maybe an extremely high scandi. Hunting and fishing blades keep their secondary and are full flat as I have found a zero edge to be too delicate when working on game. Touch a bone and you have a chip/roll.

Now, stepping inside we can take a look at what I use in the house. Most of my kitchen knives are Japanese and come with either a slight hollow or convex to the blade road, which I later remove. In the end they tend to be like a high scandi as I flatten the blade road which puts them at about 20-24 degrees inclusive, zero ground. This is not something I would recommend doing if you do not treat your knives like a princess. Aggressive chopping, torquing of any kind, use on frozen foods etc will lead to chipping in these knives. They are around 62-64 RC and quite delicate.

There are two things that I do not modify, typically. The first is an outdoor tool and that is an axe. I like them to be robust because unlike many I use them only for chopping and splitting or very rarely shaping but never carving. The second thing is straight razors. These keep their hollow. Even a so called full wedge seems to have a wee bit of hollowing to it. Maybe I don't have a true wedge, IDK, it could be a near wedge. Either way, as I use them around my neck I have decided to keep them the way I know that they work, lol.

Long story short, I guess I would have to say that I mostly use zero ground convex and scandi blades.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE