What trousers to buy????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello guys, I'm after a few helpful suggestions.
I do a fair bit of walking and at present I only have military style trousers. (British CS95's, US M65's etc) what I am after is a pair of good civvi pants, I was thinking Craghoppers but having never owned civvi walking trousers I am not sure what to go for!:rolleyes:
I don't want to be paying through the nose but don't mind paying upto about £40 for a pair.
Any suggestions?

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I have a couple of pairs of craghoppers and a pair of regatta trousers. The craghoppers are ok but rustle a bit, not a problem if you dont need to be quiet. I find the regatta trousers quieter and quicker to dry, but they might be a bit chilly in the winter if just sitting around. I bought all of my trousers in TK maxx for about 20 euro/ 16 pounds.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Craghoppers are good, Fjallraven Greenland or Iceland (but $$$). For 20 squid, the Endicotts German Army "repro" moleskin trousers are brilliant and not overtly "military".

Also, if you have access to the Mountain Co-op in Canada, their "radpants" are unbeatable

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have a couple of pairs of US ACU trousers - you can buy them in non camo to avoid the rambo look. Cost £19.99 from Soldier of Fortune...
S9LMJOOJ.jpg

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/military/index.asp
ACU trousers. Coyote. Code: TRS114

ACU ( Army Combat Uniform) is the US Army's replacement for the original BDU uniform.

2 Leg Cargo pockets (angled to give easier access and velcro closed)
2 small ankle pockets
2 hand warmer slash pockets
2 back pockets
Drawstring waist
Fixed belt loops
Drawstring leg ties
Pockets for knees pads (pads not included)
Coyote Brown.

Well thought out design, quiet and quick to dry - well worth the money IMHO.

HTH

Simon

Dec 16, 2007
I go for craghoppers kiwi and I also have some of the Crag bear grylls range, they are light and quick to dry. I used mine in Thailand both north and south and they did the job fine. they are on sale in Debenhams in Basildon at the moment.

rancid badger

Hello guys, I'm after a few helpful suggestions.
I do a fair bit of walking and at present I only have military style trousers. (British CS95's, US M65's etc) what I am after is a pair of good civvi pants, I was thinking Craghoppers but having never owned civvi walking trousers I am not sure what to go for!:rolleyes:
I don't want to be paying through the nose but don't mind paying upto about £40 for a pair.
Any suggestions?

If you want "civvy" gear then go for the craghoppers, but get them from TK Maxx, or another discount type store because, although I have several pairs of craghoppers and find them comfortable, reasonably hard wearing etc I don't think they are worth paying the prices that outdoor shops charge. I paid £16.99 for my latest pair at TK Maxx;) normal price was around £39 I think.
Of course, you have to hit lucky and catch them while they're in stock:rolleyes:
I personally wouldn't touch Regatta if I could get my hands on Craghoppers.
cheers
R.B.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Another vote for Craghopper Kiwi's. I've got about 5 pairs. As the others have said light, fast drying, hard wearing and can be had a TK Max for about £16. My oldest ones are about 6 years old and are just starting to get a bit thin in places.

Dave

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
I personally wouldn't touch Regatta if I could get my hands on Craghoppers.
cheers
R.B.

I agree that the craghoppers are better quality trousers but they are really noisy. I bought the regatta because they were quieter and cheap in TK max. They also dry out alot quicker than craghoppers, probably because they are a lighter weight.

stevemreid

Nov 27, 2007
Ayr
Yep avoid the Regattas. I bought a pair last week. So far the pocket zipper has broken off - it was strangely brittle. The buttons are looking like they might fall off after a few more buttons and unbuttonings. I wanted the craghoppers but they didn't have any in my size :(

They are light and comfy and seem like they would dry quickly...perhaps I just got a duff pair..

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
last month i managed to get a pair of kiwi cargo's for £8. and some single zip of leg for £15 form tkmaxx. they were on clearance..

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I have several pairs of Craghopper Kiwis, which are lightweight, comfortable and easily washed; I wear them almost daily. If I have a criticism, it's that the belt loops are slightly too narrow if you want to wear anything more substantial than the supplied webbing belt.

However, I also have some 5.11 TDUs, which are vastly superior - the pairs I wore in Iraq (which withstood even the ministrations of the base laundry), continue to look like new and are well made and very comfortable - they feel substantial. Try polimil.co.uk - they sometimes have some 5.11 clearance bargains (no connection, etc.).

I bought a pair of Rohan Bags - mostly good, but the hip pocket is bizarrely deep (your wallet ends up just above the back of your knee), and they are wildly overpriced. I've also tried Regatta, but found the quality variable.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I tend to wear shorts for about 10 months of the year, but say jan, feb sorta time, just cheap combats,

strangely enough, i wouldnt mind a pair of ventile trousers (at the right price!) cos wearing them so little, theyed last me forever, but if i wore em all the time, they probably wouldnt last long, and the cost would break my heart

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just ordered a pair of Craghopper Kiwi trousers from GoOutdoors for £14.99 plus some other gear!
Thanks for all your input guys.:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE