What to Lie on when In your hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rulyg26

Jan 5, 2012
Aspull, Wigan
Hi guys just wondering what other people use when inside their hammock,
I got a DD travel hammock and Tarp for Christmas and am keen to get using them
would a aerobed pakmat be a sensible idea?

just wondering what everyone else uses ?????

Is it possible to make a sticky to answer questions like this that get asked once a month? Please?

Which knife to get? Which boots to get? How do I stay warm in a hammock? Who’s cooler Ray Mears or Bear Grylls? How long could you survive on your own like Dick Proenekke?

Please?

Yeah, I know. I’m grumpy and not demonstrating the right kind of cheerful bushcrafty greeting to our newer members.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Is it possible to make a sticky to answer questions like this that get asked once a month? Please?

Which knife to get? Which boots to get? How do I stay warm in a hammock? Who’s cooler Ray Mears or Bear Grylls? How long could you survive on your own like Dick Proenekke?

Please?

Yeah, I know. I’m grumpy and not demonstrating the right kind of cheerful bushcrafty greeting to our newer members.

The answer is simple don't respond to these type of posts... Or write a really good post on a given subject and ask for it to become a sticky....

Ruglyg26..

Im not the worlds most experienced hammock user....

I tend to stuff my thermarest inside my sleeping bag which helps to insulate my back. Other folk use underblankets etc....

Have a search around there is a lot of info on hammock use.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton

Please?

Ohhh who got out of the hammock the wrong side today then. Chill out

forestwalker

I suspect that there is more than one "correct" answer. A wool blanket has the advantage of being wider (i.e. can wrap the sides where the hammock compresses the sleeping bag) and has a multitude of other uses, including as emergency garment or sleep system. A closed cell foam pad or inflatable mat is a standard, well know item that needs no introduction. An interesting idea is the Exped Doublemat. A thinner 1x2 m closed cell foam mat. You could leave it unfolded and thus get the "wide" advantage of the blanket, or folded into whatever shape you prefer.

A Rudolph mat (i.e. reindeer) is the one I prefer if I can justify lugging it. It calls for an outer bag in there is rain or in a conoe -- I use an old canvas stuff sack with a trash can liner inside it -- but is fairly indestructible and confortable. But seldom seen in full lenght size, but is usually wider than a regular foam pad (so you get some of the benefits from the blanket).

Summary: there are many options, all of which has advantages and disadvantages. Try the mat you have, see what you like, think and experiment

Last night I used a reindeer hide, with a wool jerkin/waistcoat stuffed into the "corner" where my feet rest to give me some insulation there. There was a book somewhere underneath as well, but that was ok too, but I do not suggest it as a regular sleep mat alternative (the book was in a leatheer cover, so it took no damage). And a wool hoodie under my head as a pillow, and my pants somwhere near my knees i the bottom.

Aaron Rushton

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2011
S. Wales
i have made a coffin shaped foam pad with 'wings' taken from a thinner foam pad which i put in my hammock between the layers. the 2 pairs of wings curl up around my shoulders and hips when i'm in the hammock, as these are the largest pressure points where you lose heat. if its chilly, i'll put a wool blanket uner me as well as the sleeping bag i always use.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com

Please?

I do understand your grumpiness Thomas ;) I had exactly the same ... A sticky doesn't work, because people:

1. Don't read / just jump in.
2. Place their thread in a wrong section and completely miss out that stickied thread.
3. Don't use the search engine (which got 'repaired' the other week).

As said by the others: you have the choice not to open a thread like this, I haven't ...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If you're after a really lightweight and inexpensive option, you can get one of those reflective things folk put in their car windscreens to keep their vehicles cool on sunny days and use that. It might not be quite as luxurious as some other suggestions but it does work and, as I said, is both light and cheap.

rulyg26

Jan 5, 2012
Aspull, Wigan
I thought this question would be best here, the question is about hammocking but more specifically the aerobed pakmat thank you all for you're suggestions I like Forest walker's especially just maybe not ideal for in a rucksack :)
P.S i think I phrased the question wrong
My bad
oh well, has anyone seen the aero bed pakmat in use ?

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Your options are underquilt... Or inflating mat (keeping things simple).

I'm just swapping to a mat for versatility, as I can bivi on the ground when there's no trees or I fancy some hillwalking and use the mat in the hammock if its a weekend in the woods.

forestwalker

I thought this question would be best here, the question is about hammocking but more specifically the aerobed pakmat thank you all for you're suggestions I like Forest walker's especially just maybe not ideal for in a rucksack :)
If you are willing to have it on the outside it -- Rudoph Brand -- is a quite decent option, actually. But I did not make *one* suggestion, but several, I wonder which one you liked... When trying to keep things fairly light and compact I use a ridgerest pad (folded about 4 times it fits perfectly on the back of the sabre 45, but *why* did they make the straps so short?)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just a thought, but I saw the foam mats in Clas Ohlsen, and thought they might be an idea - put between the two layers of the DD Travel hammock. But strangely enough I can't remember many folks talking about a foam mat for this purpose - it tends to be all underquilts or inflatable mats. Am I missing something really obvious here?!

Oh - and I sort of gathered that Reindeer skins have a bit of a problem with the hairs being very fragile and breaking/shedding? Is that a serious problem, or doesn't it matter?

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've scrapped underblanket, and thermarest in favour of sheepskin. It's basically a short sheared sheepskin coat with arms, pockets and collar removed. Very comfy, doesn't slide and very toasty :thumbup:

Nuggets.. "YOW Bear Yow Bear"
Bear.. "Eyup Chis... Can yor undastand a wurd e just sed? "

forestwalker

Just a thought, but I saw the foam mats in Clas Ohlsen, and thought they might be an idea - put between the two layers of the DD Travel hammock. But strangely enough I can't remember many folks talking about a foam mat for this purpose - it tends to be all underquilts or inflatable mats. Am I missing something really obvious here?!
Well, the CO ones is cheap crap, but mostly I think it is a matter of style: the closed cell foam is seen by many as and old and outdated solution. I like mine, it is durable and dependable.
Oh - and I sort of gathered that Reindeer skins have a bit of a problem with the hairs being very fragile and breaking/shedding? Is that a serious problem, or doesn't it matter?
A bit of shedding is inevitable, because as you say the hairs do break. But it is no matter, it will last for years, going from thick and luxurious to a bit on the thin side. Then you tan the hide (or make rawhide lacing out of it) and get another. Spark-proof, environmentally sound, great to sleep on: what is not to love?

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
P.S i think I phrased the question wrong
My bad
oh well, has anyone seen the aero bed pakmat in use ?

The Pakmat is too heavy for this use. I use it when ground dwelling when out with the canoe and it's pure luxury. You can take a look at my unveiling here.

I use a very thin silver backed picnic blanket (very light and packs down small) and when it's coler I'll add a 2 season sleeping bag which also packs down very small.

May 21, 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hopefully not just reiterating the same things here... Have camped in hammocks a while now (and since reverted back to sleeping on the floor and the search for a good air mattress... another story!). Have a DD Hammock too with numerous ways tried to keep warm and comfy;

1. Sleeping mat - works to keep you warm but find with all the moving around it moved out the way and wasn't wide enough, arms/shoulders/legs etc. all ended up sliding off and getting cold. Also made it more uncomfortable in my opinion.
2. Double sleeping mat - thinking that the extra width would cure the moving around problem, nope! Shape is all wrong for the hammock once pitched and just ends up popping out and being annoying!
3. Wool Blankets - again, never got them to stay still and maybe I'm just soft but wasn't that warm. Comfy though.
4. Rather my mistake I found my solution (and not wanting to fork out for a DD underblanket)... Forgot my sleeping mat one trip so was starting to panic about freezing to death overnight, figured my only option was the sleeping bag which is sort of an underblanket anyway. Tied up the hammock through the foot end of the bag with the zip along the top of the hammock, climbing in and zipped up. Solves the age old issue of your insulation being squashed below you in a hammock (or anything else for that matter) by letting it hang. The air gap soon warmed up between me and the sleeping bag and I had the best night sleep in my hammock yet!

I've got back and made a custom underblanket out of two old 2 season sleeping bags and some time with the sowing machine... Total cost of sleeping bags, cord, tape etc. probably around £20. Bargain. Works a treat, normally let it just sit about the same height as the sides of the hammock but if it's really cold sowed some ties along the edges and can almost fully cocoon myself inside.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_I3LC-vOEkCI/S...XlU1zVw/s1600-h/IMG00022-20100516-0914[3].jpg

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've scrapped underblanket, and thermarest in favour of sheepskin. It's basically a short sheared sheepskin coat with arms, pockets and collar removed. Very comfy, doesn't slide and very toasty :thumbup:

4e97484d-a9b3-6e71.jpg

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
CCF mat inbetween the two layers works well for me. If you can mod one to have shoulders it cuts down the wind chill even more. Cheap, portable & works

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE