Building in a failure point - Tarps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Ok so here is the thing.
Most of the gear I own was purchased 10/ 15 years ago.
Where this may not always be a problem it seemingly is when it comes to my tarps.
Both my DD tarps have now torn.
They have had a happy but hard life so it doesn’t reflect them as a product or company.
Anyway - so this has got me thinking.
Technology has somewhat moved on since the good old days of paracord and I’m thinking of using hardware / knotless hammock and tarp hanging.
What strikes me is the weakest part of these set ups is either the tarp or the hammock.
So I was wondering does anyone use a built in failure point into their set up that would break before the tarp gets shredded?
I’m thinking not so much for the hammock but it is more about saving the tarp.
Cheers collective
Hope this makes sense

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I just use cord but appreciate the usefulness of bungees to take up the slack and variation inherent in any outdoor setup.

I do find however that I end up stretching the bungee out tight anyway negating the apparent advantage.

My takeaway though is that the set up is never a fixed event. Fabric stretches-even more when wet, cords stretch, knots slip, pegs move fixed points flex and bark compresses.

Sometimes the perfect tension can turn into overtension on the fabric and something will eventually give. After 15 years UV starts to have a pretty high effect on fabric strength.

I find myself fettling with any setup throughout its life watching out for too much stretch or too much flappyness in winds, continually adjusting for the perfect pitch.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The 3 x 3m failed along the seem along the loops but it was tied with Amsteel.
The 3 x 4.5 went in the centre towards the loops.
Both old tarps and both used in the garden over many summers so I would suspect UV light took it's toll.
So they are tied without a ridgeline?

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I have used tightly wound inner tube round doubled over paracord as a “weak” point in anything round my neck (to avoid being garrotted). It might work as part of a tarp line set up.

Reactions: Minotaur

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I have used tightly wound inner tube round doubled over paracord as a “weak” point in anything round my neck (to avoid being garrotted). It might work as part of a tarp line set up.
Anyone who has ever had to wear a lanyard for work will agree that you really need something on anything around your neck.
I am always really surprised the people with neck knife lanyards made out of paracord with no break of any kind.
OUCH!
I am sure I have seen that used on guylines... just got to remember were to post it.

Reactions: DocG

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The garden set ups never had a ridge line. The loops were tied out with Amsteel.
I wonder if that is just time and stress on the seam then.

The 3x4.5m when it died was over a ridge line secured by small carabiners and prusik knots.
Could something have hit it?

To be honest if you are using them that much it a really good recommendation for DD too the rest of us.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
I wonder if that is just time and stress on the seam then.

Could something have hit it?

To be honest if you are using them that much it a really good recommendation for DD too the rest of us.
No nothing hit it. I think it was just old and had degraded with use.
I’ve never had any issues with DD stuff in fairness. Like I say these 2 tarps were used across multiple summers, as sun shades for the kids. They took a real battering and survived countless storms without damage.
I’ve just bought a new 3.5m x 3.5m. I know other manufacturers are available but for time I use it and the available shells I have to spend on my hobby - DD stuff still fits the bill.

Reactions: Minotaur

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE