What to do......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
...with a hood?

Thanks to a very generous Zambezi, I have a nice dry Flecktarn ex German Army Goretex jacket. I do have one slight problem with it however. As I generally wear a bush type hat, I don't have the hood up which means, as it's waterproof, it makes a great water carrier. At least it's great until it slops down your neck :rolleyes: Short of actually cutting the hood off which I don't really want to do, has anyone got any ideas on how to keep the rain out? I've considered stitching on some elastic straps with velcro to roll it down and any leakage points caused by the stitching should be protected by the brim of my hat, but if anyone has any better ideas, they'd be gratefully received.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Put some modelling type wire (coat hanger stuff maybe) in the hood draw cord hole?

Had some waterproofs that had some wire insert in the hood, so it'd stayed were you put it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Saw GrahamS sort this problem at the Northern Moot. His cotton smock has a brilliant hood but he doesn't want it up most of the time since he wears a hat too, so he rolls it up into a kind of padded collar. Took seconds, lies out of the way looks comfy and neat too. Looked 'right' somehow :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Motorbike Man said:
Any idea how he held it in place Toddy?

That was the thing, he rolled it up and it stayed in place. The front curve of the hood rolled in neatly and he just kept rolling until he had this baffle like rolled collar.
I've just tried it with my wax jacket hood and the one on my Lowe Alpine triple point ceramic too and it works fine without any ties or clips, quite comfy.
Try rolling the hood inwards so that all you can see is the outside fabric.
Cheers,
Toddy

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Toddy said:
Saw GrahamS sort this problem at the Northern Moot. His cotton smock has a brilliant hood but he doesn't want it up most of the time since he wears a hat too, so he rolls it up into a kind of padded collar. Took seconds, lies out of the way looks comfy and neat too. Looked 'right' somehow :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Something like this Toddy?
1128PICT0021-med.jpg

1049PICT0007-med.jpg

My ventile smock has the wired hood and I very rarely use it as I have a hat too. I roll the hood inside itself and then at the last bit fold that back to make a nice comfy paddle collar. I do the same with my gortex jackets too. I used to do it in the TA with my hooded dpm smock too, think that's were I was shown to do it.

I don't use any straps or clips, it just stays like that.

Hope that helps.

Bam. :D

leon-1

If the hood doesn't stay where you want it to by folding it inwards if you have a volume adjuster on the back of the hood feed it through the hanging loop on the inside of the jacket to hold it in place once you have rolled it.:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's it Bam, :You_Rock_ pictures are worth hundreds of words! Graham rolled his up tighter...cotton smock...and when he pulled the front zip up the whole thing sat snug and out of the way. Really neat. :)

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE