What to do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
It's sadly symptomatic of society today - i.e. peoples total lack of consideration for others and their environment. If you've taken these guys out on the understanding that you have an agreement with the landowner and there are certain codes of behaviour - ethics if you like, to be observed if you, personally, are to be allowed to continue to use that land for your needs; if you explained this to them and they still acted that way then I would say that they are no friends of yours and I would discard them immediately.

But... life's not that simple is it? You don't say how old these friends are - or how easy it would be to ditch them. Paul is obviously a disaster to take for a night out in the woods, but for all I know, he could be the life and soul of any party, would lend you his last fiver and introduce you to your future wife!

I am blessed with many friends, but would consider taking less than half of them out to share my interests in what I would call the "proper outdoors" - some of them would balk at the lack of home comforts whilst a good many would treat the experience as a stag do with a difference, load up with crates and trash the place!

Friends are hard made and easily discarded - Paul & Craig may not be suited to your interest in bushcraft, unless you can educate them (and there's a challenge!) but they may still be good mates down your local - or any other environment you inhabit. If that's the case, meet them in that environment and keep them away from that which they are plainly (for now) unsuited.

P.S. It's no way "sad" being solo in the woods - waking up with the wildlife, putting a brew on and just sitting, watching, and listening - knowing it's just you and the environment you're in - that's one of the magic moments.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Thanks to everyone for the replies they have made my decision really clear, i will keep be selfish in camping from now on and go on my own and the dog :).
Shane, someone else has asked me if i would take him out sometime in the october holidays as he has only been to organised sites and would like to try proper camping.
Again thanks for the advice given.Really helped.Following bushtuckers advice my details are now up.

Yeh and for the person who said they both watch jackass and dirty sanchez.
Don haste to the hospital for them :)

Ryan

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I met you at Deli and recall you're a young lad but with a wise outlook so obviously have sound bushcraft ethics. Unfortunately it's also obvious from what you have said that you're mates are very immature and don't have the maturity and respect needed for being out yet.

As has been said I think you need to leave your mates at home before they spoil things again.

Good luck.

B

buck52

Sort of a grumpy young Rant with a question.

The other weekend Paul Craig and I went out camping at Lenabo my local spot(10 miles being local).Now this was Paul's second itime and last time he was ok so i thought there would be no problems. We split into 2 Craig and I with our Lean To and him with his tent,Craig and I had the long log firlay keeping us warm .Paul said he wouldnt need a fire as he had his tent we tried to tell him otherwise but he knew best .

Anyway,time went on and Paul ealised we were right and constructed his version of a fire in front of his tent,disregarding advice on which sort of fire to use or how to manage it etc.
He started adding more and more after we both told him enough to building a Bon fire the flames were my height 5'9 the base of the fire was 1,5x1,5!!!!(roughly).I confiscated his wood and told him that it was to far ofcourse he just thought it was funny. Bear in mid we were surrounded by all pine some dead. So 1hr later him and craig set of and i look round to seem them construcitng there own fire a smaller one 10 meters away, i went to ask what they were doing when craig shouted in a hunourus tone "RUN"
BOOM
They had chucked a deodrant can in it. Causing a big fire ball, then when the flames went down to a small pile.
Paul ran up and kicked it scattering them everywere???!!!!!
I put out all he embers pured water on his fire and set up my own camp with my tarp 15 meters away.

They just have no bloody respect.

And paul says next time he plans to bring 6 cans and band them together and chuck it in.
I "Just " have the trust of the people who own this and the local farmers.

The main point-Do i now on go on my own?(risk being called sad etc)
Or amputate them?
Seriously advice is needed here help!

You tell your mate paul that if I catch him, or anyone else, camping or lighting fires in Lenabo Woodlands he will be in deep s**t

THERE IS NO CAMPING OF ANY DESCRIPTION IN THE WOODLANDS, EVER.
IF A FIRE IS STARTED THE POLICE WILL BE INFORMED, HE WILL BE CHARGED WITH ARSON.

You have very kindly supplied his name, I have given this to the local police, they reckon they know of him, so its just a matter of time.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Nice first post
rolleyes.gif

MancsMan

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2008
Manchester
A quick suggestion and reminder, “Wild Camping” is permitted in all parts of Scotland, subject to a few limitations, (MOD, Golf courses, private gardens etc.) as long as those taking part act responsibly and within the “Guidelines” set out in the legislation.

Buck52, I suggest you read up on legislation regarding “wild camping”, might I also suggest if you interfere with anybody exercising their legal rights, you may find you are the one in the smelly brown stuff.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I hear what you are saying Buck, but the original post is nearly 2 years old....

Was there really a need to drag this up?

If it's Bucks' woodland and it's been vandalised and damaged, I'd say yes! If those guys are still going in blowing deodorant cans up, then they deserve to get nicked. I know Ryan will have moved on by now, I met him at Delamere a few years back and he was a level headed young man so have no doubt that he ditched the idiots that have obviously spoilt it for others. I'm pretty sure right to roam doesn't include a right to destroy.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Ah pity this was an old thread... was going to suggest you get them involved in another pasttime. Preferably a more dangerous one, like base jumping or something, and let Darwin's theory take its natural course. :D

B

buck52

A quick suggestion and reminder, “Wild Camping” is permitted in all parts of Scotland, subject to a few limitations, (MOD, Golf courses, private gardens etc.) as long as those taking part act responsibly and within the “Guidelines” set out in the legislation.

Buck52, I suggest you read up on legislation regarding “wild camping”, might I also suggest if you interfere with anybody exercising their legal rights, you may find you are the one in the smelly brown stuff.

A quote from 'your' Act
"you should not camp in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals"
This is private land and it is a standing crop.
If a fire is lit in there again they will find out just how they can be interfered with, BY LAW.
Its typical of the bunny hugging kagool clad tossers that think they own the countryside, trample everywhere, let dogs run riot with total disregard for nesting birds & young deer, and drop litter wherever they go, including old cars, and the majority of which hav'nt got a clue about flora & fauna.
Hopefully someone will get bitten by one of the many adders that frequent the area, then there will be cries of "argggh, wild animals, kill them, kill them. Its a pity that an adder bite is not always lethal.

I wont post on this forum again, you are not country people.
moderators please cancel my membership.
Good riddance

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow!
What a short and agro filled membership!
It sounds like the guy has had issues with access by less well intentioned folk in the past.....

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I'm guessing that buck52 had been using a seach engine to find out something about a wood they have some sort of involvment in.

Almost certainly they didn't notice that the thread was so old and only subcribed to have their say about it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Actually buck52 is mistaken, Lenabo woods are forestry and therefore perfectly suitable for responsible access.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/466225

If you do read this Buck, and you do feel there is a problem.......considering this thread starter is two years old :dunno: then might I suggest you contact Aberdeenshire police, but after you have contacted SNH and not only gotten hold of a copy of the Responsible Right of Access Book, but read it too.

Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE