What to do with this old knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Okay so was in the charity store today and picked up this little knife for five dollars Australian(about two and a half pounds);) .It looks like a old stainless steel butchers knife from the 60's or 70's:dunno:

Has the old owners name burned into the handle.But I not sure too do with it next:rolleyes:.Find the handle a big and chunky,I want to re handle but looks like some kind of the half tang:What do you thing guys what can I do with this one all suggestion welcome guys?
IMG_6624.jpg

IMG_6630.jpg

IMG_6628.jpg

IMG_6626.jpg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
You could also handle it in some exotic wood but Robins idea is goog for me.

You could also make those pics smaller

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I would like to re-handle in a nicer wood but being a half tang puts me off the idea a bit:confused:

If your concern is how to slot the wood to fit the blade into it then don't panic.
a) find a mate with a bandsaw and make several cuts using a guide/fence to get desired width of cut.
b) use coarse hacksaw blades, put as many on the hacksaw as will achieve width of cut required, slow work but achievable.
or
c) make two cuts with a thin kerfed saw and 'nibble out the waste' piece
d) stick with Robins idea, as that would be my first choice followed by jojo's ;-)

Good way to get a cheap blade and charitable too! :)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Sorry I make the pics a bit smaller next time guys:eek: I would like to re-handle in a nicer wood but being a half tang puts me off the idea a bit:confused:

Dont let that put you off turn it into a feature look HERE for an idea of what I mean the difference is you only the some the layer with contrasting wood

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Dont let that put you off turn it into a feature look HERE for an idea of what I mean the difference is you only the some the layer with contrasting wood
Thanks for that mate!!!!!!!!!Just the kind of thing I was looking for:You_Rock_ .

I started just trying to just reshape the old handel but it old wood soon started to come away from the tang:eek:So now going to try and make a new hidden tang handel.:D

Just need to find some wood my stocks of timber are low I was thinking of using the wood from a old pick axe or a bit of olive I got saved.Here is a small photo of the blade now missing the handle.
IMG_6676.jpg

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Sorry now I get it!:togo: I thought that there was someone famous called Joe Blythe I didn't know about or something.:rolleyes:

I googled that purpleheart wood and It looks great!!!!Donation always welcome Oblio;)

I am going to follow that cool tutorial that brancho show me I am just stuck for a good bit of wood at the moment.All the nice bits I have are to small as I have just made smaller scandi knifes so far.So I would have to use some green wood or recycled timber from a pick axe handle or somthing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE