what smell is it? and who dunnit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pilotlight

Jan 7, 2012
Northumberland
Often when I am out walking I will come across a strong scent, very musky and earthy in nature. Very similar to the otter smell at the local sea life centre. I have assmued it's otter scent from marking their territory, but I get so much of it recently I wonder if it's fox instead.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
If its a strong musty smell it could be Fox castings but if you can’t find any Fox poo around ,and its normally fairly obvious for fox poo to be out in the open, if it’s a bit more of a pungent or p##s smell it could just as easily be a rabbit latrine and territorial marking failing that you’re just going to have to have a look around for some other tracks or sign’s. Any fish or eel remains in the area could also suggest Otter.

Brown, Lawrence and Pope.Mammal droppings Page 225. OTTER "spraints" are black, mucilaginous and very musty when fresh.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Never noticed a very strong smell from the latrines that the badgers dig in my garden, fox is a lot stronger but it's, well, rank as a fox. TBH I mostly just notice plant smells, the rest is me and my dogs. :)

Fox smells very similar to broom. When I used to strim footpaths on Dartmoor I often found that foxy smell only to find I had just given a broom bush a gentle trim!

Don't rule out fungi. I have often wondered what a musky, earthy smell was and at it turned out to be a stink horn or similar.

Leo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE