What size is your pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What size is your pack?

• Total voters

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
A 120 Litre Norrona for longer hauls (3 days plus) and deep winter, and a 35 litre Norrona for shorter outings - 1 day in winter, up to 3 days or so in Summer depending on where I'm going. The 120 has detachable side pockets and a built-in harness if I'm in a more "permanent" camp, and want to bimble about that area for a day.

Talking about rucksacs is a bit like talking about knive - how long have you got?:)

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If I'm away for only a couple of days and it isn't the dead of winter, a shoulder bag and a wooly blanket."

Yes mate, but that's 'cos you're dead 'ard:D

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
My kit has gone up and down in weight since i joined. Numerous issue bergens and various sabres.
Finally settled on a Sabre 45 with side pouches. Armed with more knowledge than i had a couple of years ago, i can happily fit everything i need from a 2-day hike to a 4 day outing in it and be comfortable.

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe
Ive got several backpacks....

A Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon 2 for short hikes into the forest.

I use a Osprey Stratos 34 for dayhikes where i have to carry both my and my gf's gear. Or if i have to carry bulky clothing during the winter. I also use it for ulltralight summer overnighters.

For trips of a longer duration i use my Osprey Aether 70 during all 4 seasons.

Mads

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"If I'm away for only a couple of days and it isn't the dead of winter, a shoulder bag and a wooly blanket."

Yes mate, but that's 'cos you're dead 'ard:D

No, not dead 'ard, Scottish! (tight fisted and inured to the cold and wet) :D

I've tried Adrian's 120 Litre Norrona and it is a fantastic pack, lets see some photos!

Grandma Gatewood who "hiked the Appalachian Trail in 1955 at the age of 67, wearing sneakers and carrying an army blanket, a raincoat, and a plastic shower curtain which she carried in a homemade bag slung over one shoulder", we could all learn a thing or two from her example. :)

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
For long walks and one-nighters I use a 36L Berghaus SL, which packs the essentials without weighing a ton! For 2 or more nights, or trips when I want to be very comfortable, I have a Berghaus Cyclops Vulcan II, which is I believe about 80L without the side pouches, which come in at 15L a piece. That does me perfectly! If I want to slim down but not as small as the SL I just take off the side pouches. I can't fault Berghaus bags!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
just got my highlander 66 through. happy as a pig in muck ;)
comfy as anythin and fits properly (damn tall back) well chuffed.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I've been using 2 bags.A 85ltr Gelert and more recently a Alpkit 30ltr Gourdon. Oddly the Gelrt holds only a few things more than the Alpkit one.. which I find both interesting and annoying.. lol I think a 45 ltr would siut me perfectly - 45 according to Alpkit scale of things anyway. While I can get a weekends kit n cloths into the Gourdon, it's packed full and tight and leave no room for comforts really.

May 28, 2009
UK
This is my 35-liter rucksack I just bought yesterday and it was only £10!

004.jpg

There's more information on my thread "Rucksack and some kit"

green elk

Sep 25, 2008
out there
I use a Tatonka Mountain Guide (30l) every day, a Gregory Chaos 3D (55l) for up to 1 week / 25kg , and a Bergans Powerframe (130l) for the rest.
Works well for me, but soon i'll change the Tatonka for something tougher.

arnoldus

Sep 14, 2008
Belgium
Have a Decathlon 40l pack for 1-2 days and a 70l for more than 2days or lots of food.
But I believe both are just too small (or perhaps that's always the excuse). I would prefer 50l and +80l

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE