What size is your dutch oven?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Maybe a very small chicken. Having used a 4 litre oven recently, I bought an 8 litre just because we struggled to roast the meat in it and had to cut it up to fit it in. The 8 litre is a much better size for pot roasts, particularly roasting larger birds, big chickens, ducks etc and will, hold a vast amount (well 8 litres I suppose) of stew. The 6 litre is the same depth as the 4 litre, but slightly bigger diameter, the 8 litre is the same diameter as the 6 litre, but a bit deeper. The main advantage of the 8 litre is that you can cook a good sized roast in it as well as plenty of veg and also ideal for cooking for groups 6 or more people. It's also more versatile for different cooking techniques, putting stones in the bottom etc. That said, I would also like to get one of the 4 litre ovens as it's a very good size for 2-4 people, especially nice for stews and such. The boxed set that Ronnie's does for about £70 is nice, it includes a 4 litre oven I think, a stand for the lid, skillet, griddle, a lid lifter and obviously the nice wooden box to keep it all in. It's expensive compared to the cost of the oven alone, but you do need something to keep your oily, sooty oven away from everything else, the kit is cheaper than buying all the bits separately (and they are all useful) and you cant buy the box on it's own. Now I have an 8 litre, I'm not sure how motivated I am to get another, but if I were, I think I would buy the 4 litre boxed kit from Ronnies. The 4 litre oven is a perfect size for 2 people providing you are not too ambitious with the size of your roasts.

http://www.ronniesunshines.com/inde...n-bushcraft-camping-western-gift-box-set.html

I think you've hit it spot on. If you're going to use your D.O. as a "pot" then even a smaller one can cook a lot of food. But if you want to take advantage of it's capability as an "oven" then you really need something larger (deeper) that will allow large cuts of meat (or loaves of bred/cakes/pies/etc.) with room to spare.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I think you've hit it spot on. If you're going to use your D.O. as a "pot" then even a smaller one can cook a lot of food. But if you want to take advantage of it's capability as an "oven" then you really need something larger (deeper) that will allow large cuts of meat (or loaves of bred/cakes/pies/etc.) with room to spare.

Which is why I bought a deep model...sometimes called a "Bread" DO.

Simon

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Local Asda store is selling a cast iron pot that could be used for camp cooking
Did not take a lot of notice but it is with a flat lid and about 260mm diam and 150 deep
Sorry i cant give more info but may be worth a look and save on postage if your thinking of buying on line
Mick

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
got my D/O today well chuffed with it, it's the perfect size for about 4 people which is what i wanted and not too heavy. Cant wait to get it on the campfire

It says its preseasoned, should i still season it as normal or not?

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE