What Shall I try to make?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I am keen to try and make something bushcrafty during the winter, but don't know what to try so am seeking some suggestions.

The criteria is:
1) must be simple to make
2) must be inexpensive (materials and tools included)
3) the ability to "download" instructions/patterns/templates would be a bonus.
4) not fussed on the material (wood/metal/leather/fabric etc) as long as most of the other boxes get ticked

Whilst i realise i am being a bit vague and general, i will give serious thought to all suggestions, before deciding on which one to try

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
It's a bit difficult to suggest anything when we don't know what you've made up to now!

How's your carving? tentpeg stage or advanced spoons?
Knots the same.
How about making some natural cordage - the nettles should be perfect just now!
Maybe firelighting practice in this wet weather!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
why dont you try your hand at spoon carving? Instead of carving out the bowl with a crook knife though just place coals from a fire on where you want the bowl to be, it should burn down in a nice bowl, and it's easier than carving it :) this also means you dont have to go out and buy a crook knife.

OR why don't you go for a real festive treat and try making a wreath :D

i'm sure it wont take long for this thread to get full of ideas from people so i'll leave some for them

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I am keen to try and make something bushcrafty during the winter, but don't know what to try so am seeking some suggestions.

The criteria is:
1) must be simple to make
2) must be inexpensive (materials and tools included)
3) the ability to "download" instructions/patterns/templates would be a bonus.
4) not fussed on the material (wood/metal/leather/fabric etc) as long as most of the other boxes get ticked

Whilst i realise i am being a bit vague and general, i will give serious thought to all suggestions, before deciding on which one to try

There has been a few recent posts about making blanket coats. They are cheap - all materials including a blanket can be had for less than £10-15 (if you sew by hand or have a machine you can borrow). I'm going to do one of these and though I have a machine will be sewing it all by hand and putting leather edging on, etc.

There are posts on this that have patterns, or you can use a current garment. Also you'll be able to use it right away in the (I hope) crisp cold wintery days.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Why don't you try and carve a spoon easy enough, and i am sure you will find a tutorial on the forum somewhere.I carved my first spoon with birch and i found it quite easy to carve with.Good luck with whatever you decided to do. Ps late post

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Make your own knife mate.:D. Its really not difficult, if you made up a profile with saw/file/or grinder, Drill the holes, send it to me and i'll put the grinds on and heat treat it for ya, then you just have to fit the handle and make the sheath.

It wont really cost much if you have some very basic tools, like a drill, files, hacksaw etc

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Make your own knife mate.:D. Its really not difficult, if you made up a profile with saw/file/or grinder, Drill the holes, send it to me and i'll put the grinds on and heat treat it for ya, then you just have to fit the handle and make the sheath.

It wont really cost much if you have some very basic tools, like a drill, files, hacksaw etc

Dont think you 'll be able to beat that offer!!!

Very good of you Mark!goodjob

Last edited:

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire

Thanks very much for that offer :) of all the suggestions so far this is looking the favourite.

Have done a few spoons in past, nice thing to do sat in the garden on a summers evening.

Now what do i need to get to make a knife???

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
If youre doing the stock removal method then you will need a piece of 01 tool steel.Very easy to buy and not so expensive...
Then something to cut the shape out...
Hillbill's offered to do the hardest bit for you!
Some wood for the scales(handle)pins ect....

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Go for a knife chap.

Hillbills offer is very good. Then you can make anything you like with a tool to be proud of in more ways than one.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Thanks very much to everyone for your suggestions, i have decided to go for a knife, and have PM'd Hillbill for further information :)

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Just a quick update, incase anyone is interested. I sourced a knife making kit on Ebay, which has arrived this week, and looks straightforward enough to me - although don't be surprised if i come back seeking a little help/advice as and when i might need it :)

The Mrs has offered to buy me the few tools that i need for Christmas, so looks like it will stay in the drawer till after then - when it SHOULD be a bit less hectic at work too so more time for me to spend on leisure activities.

once i start on it, i will post a few photos for you all to see.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE