An American Outdoorsman moving to the UK!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
@ReauxboCop As an aside, your mention of scouting brings up an opportunity for you. Most US military bases have their own Scout Troop and they're always looking for adult volunteers. It would be an opportunity in and of itself for bushcrafting. For that matter you might also look into volunteering with a local British Scouting organization!

Last edited:

ReauxboCop

Nov 15, 2021
RAF Mildenhall
Plenty of really superb museums etc around the UK, church is war rooms is superb, as is the battle of Britain’s control
Bunker in Uxbridge. Lots of great old history around forts and citadels and 2000 year old earthworks etc - look up national trust and English heritage when you get here - good place to start but there are lots of independent heritage organisations around as well

Thetford forest is quite good over your way and there are some lovely coastal walks over in that part of the world
I am so excited to explore all the history there! My Dad’s side of the family is of Welsh decent. We plan to travel there and research my genealogy at the National Library.

Reactions: MrEd

ReauxboCop

Nov 15, 2021
RAF Mildenhall
@ReauxboCop As an aside, your mention of scouting brings up an opportunity for you. Most US military bases have their own Scout Troop and they're always looking for adult volunteers. It would be an opportunity in and of itself for bushcrafting. For that matter you might also look into volunteering with a local British Scouting organization!
Our sponsors put us in contact with the troop on base, but I’d also love to volunteer with a British Scouting organization too. The Scouting movement is something very important to me. Lord Baden Powell is a hero of mine.

ReauxboCop

Nov 15, 2021
RAF Mildenhall
Ohh, I spent a few years in the RAF base as a kid growing up, lovely big houses, but the disused bungalows were full of mould in the middle of the base.

Make sure to pack plenty of suncream.
We are planning on living on the economy away from the base. The houses we are looking at are so cool; however, quite different to ours stateside. We are going to have to put our king sized bed in storage for this adventure! Haha

Reactions: santaman2000

ReauxboCop

Nov 15, 2021
RAF Mildenhall
Hello and welcome to the forum :)
Thank you! I see you have Texas as your avatar. My Dad is a Texan; however I am a Florida native.
So without hijacking the thread too much what is required to qualify as an Eagle Scout? Is it similar to our Duke Of Edinburgh scheme?
it follows the basic outline of the British Boy Scout rank structure. Each rank required skill knowledge, merit badges and progressive leadership req’s.
Starting at the Scout Rank, you progress to Tenderfoot
Second Class Scout
First Class Scout
Star Scout
Life Scout.

Once you reach life scout, you must plan an Eagle Service Project. The service project is a project that helps the community in some way. The onus is on the scout to develop, plan, and lead the project. My best friend in high school, built a trail shelter on one of the local overnight trails in the area.

For my project, I built a concrete and bronze memorial for my friend SSgt. Dan Clay, who was killed in Iraq. It was built in front of our high school. The entire community got involved. Over a year period, local community and veteran organizations helped me raise nearly $15k for the project. His brother and sister Marines across the country came out of the woodwork to help honor him. The local newspaper and TV stations took the story and ran with it! It evolved from a simple service project into a community effort to honor not only Dan but every man and woman who paid the ultimate sacrifice.
Seeing Dan’s mom and dad at the unveiling is one of the greatest memories I have.

It took two and a half years from the initial planning to the unveiling. I spent every day with Dan. Although he is no longer of this world, I felt him with me.

I firmly believe he is my guardian Angel. As a police officer, I have six of what I call “Alive Days,” each of which I should have been killed on the job. I distinctly remember fighting for my life in the middle of the street with a suspect who wrapped my radio mic around my neck choking me, my backup was still ten minutes out, but I didn’t feel alone. I know Dan was with me that night and I’m still here!

I apologize for the long winded monologue! The path to Eagle Scout shaped who I am today.

ReauxboCop

Nov 15, 2021
RAF Mildenhall
View attachment 70510

Just yesterday...You would think they would be wearing hi-viz, grey on grey tarmac...
That’s pretty funny! As a cop, I worked a rural area of 500 square miles by myself. ( 1294.99 sq Km). I got to learn the brands of the different ranches and farms in the area. I kept a steady supply of produce and rope with me in my squad car. Most nights, I’d end up finding at least one or two loose horses or cows and take them home. I’d tie the rope from the livestock to the spotlight on my door and slowly drive to the farm with the horses or cattle in tow! The locals started calling me the cow whisperer! Haha!
View attachment 70510

Just yesterday...You would think they would be wearing hi-viz, grey on grey tarmac...

ReauxboCop

Nov 15, 2021
RAF Mildenhall
I do have a few questions if y’all could help me. I’ve been reading up on UK laws. Obviously, all of my firearms, fixed and lock blade knives are staying in the US.

I normally have a small hatchet for camping. If I am reading correctly, if you are using it while actively camping it’s kosher, but the burden of proof is on me to articulate the reason I have it. Is that correct? Or is it too much of a headache to even bring with me?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh they are not loose.

This picture was taken in the New Forest, a big unfenced area of woods, heath, pasture and indeed communities, it is a landscape that hasnt changed much in a thousand years

Its not a typical GB scene, far from it.

Im studying the South of Wiltshire for my Heritage blogging, -and went across the border into Hampshire. Immediate change of scene.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Our sponsors put us in contact with the troop on base, but I’d also love to volunteer with a British Scouting organization too. The Scouting movement is something very important to me. Lord Baden Powell is a hero of mine.

See if you can get over to brownsea island off the south coast - birth place of scouting in the uk

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I do have a few questions if y’all could help me. I’ve been reading up on UK laws. Obviously, all of my firearms, fixed and lock blade knives are staying in the US.

I normally have a small hatchet for camping. If I am reading correctly, if you are using it while actively camping it’s kosher, but the burden of proof is on me to articulate the reason I have it. Is that correct? Or is it too much of a headache to even bring with me?
It depends on what type of places you'll go camping and how you'll get there. For most ordinary campsites or even the more basic ones (that I like and use), I wouldn't bring anything sharp that I wouldn't be happy to have out in a city park. If you go to one of the new "wildcamping" camp sites, I'm sure it would be fine.

If you want to do bushcrafty things etc, a fixed blade knife and a small axe/ hatchet would come in handy.

As an alternative, a folding saw and a pocket knife will cover most things and not raise eyebrows.

Reactions: ReauxboCop

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire

Yes, you are correct.

Provided that your locking knives are not automatic or spring assisted, by all means bring them over. No problem you bringing your fixed blades. Once you are here you can decide whether you can or cannot carry one on a particular trip or activity. You will kick yourself if you get invited to a bushcraft meet up camp and have to go with nothing but a 3" non-locking Swiss Army Knife ;)

All you need to is look in the Edged Tool section here, or the Classifieds, to see that folk own all sorts of shiny sharp things, and they are not all just drawer queens.

Generally speaking though, yes, it is less hassle to have a 3" non-locking knife and just not need to think about whether you have reason or not. Going for a walk over the Welsh mountains with a packed lunch and you would have enough justification for a locking folder if you needed to give one, not that anyone on the mountains would notice or care. The potential problem comes when you forget on the drive home and wander into the motorway service area with it obviously clipped to your pocket. If you go camping you could have reason for sheath knives, locking knives, axes...but again one needs to be aware of surroundings and not wander off-piste, so to speak.

Chris

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE