What people think about knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Should we ban knifes

• Total voters

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
You don't get many posts on here with people saying how amazing a mass produced knife is....
I think you will find you are 100% wrong. anytime a poster asks what knife to get you'dd geet half a dozen post to say get a mora, or a clipper. at £10 I doubt you'd get a more mass produced knife anywhere, and one that is as well loved:rolleyes:

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I think you will find you are 100% wrong. anytime a poster asks what knife to get you'dd geet half a dozen post to say get a mora, or a clipper. at £10 I doubt you'd get a more mass produced knife anywhere, and one that is as well loved:rolleyes:

Nonsense, Moras are mass produced but your 1.99 pack of five kitchen knives are certainly more so ;) Even though Moras are mass produced though, it makes more sense to discuss availability - Moras, while widely available over the internet, are not the sort of thing you walk into a supermarket and buy in the UK - the particular Mora I use is exceptionally difficult to find. I doubt Moras are commonly used in crime.

Pete

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Nonsense, Moras are mass produced but your 1.99 pack of five kitchen knives are certainly more so ;) Even though Moras are mass produced though, it makes more sense to discuss availability - Moras, while widely available over the internet, are not the sort of thing you walk into a supermarket and buy in the UK - the particular Mora I use is exceptionally difficult to find. I doubt Moras are commonly used in crime.

Pete
I think you missed the point of my post. the poster was claiming that 'we' as a site do not rave bout mass production knives, and I propose that we do.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I think you missed the point of my post. the poster was claiming that 'we' as a site do not rave bout mass production knives, and I propose that we do.

Sorry, I'm not even sure how I misunderstood you :eek: Guess I jumped the gun, as when I read the bit you quoted I thought the exact same thing.... must be cranky today :eek:

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK

Actually Tadpole i was talking about the posts that talk about how amazing a knife is.... not your entry level mass produced knife but the hand made knives that a lot of us have.

Mora's are good tools but i was simply saying that all the posts that 'glorify' (personally i think appreciate is the right word here but hey ho) knives i.e. with pics and everyone saying what a great knife it is are 99% hand made products of hard graft and care and attention.... by novice right through to pro makers.

Posts that are:
"What knife should i get?" and then 100 responses with everyone saying Mora are not the same as someone posting info and pics of a knife they have made themselves or had made for them and everyone looking at it and commenting on it's detail and workmanship.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have worked in what is considered to be a 'rough' area of Glasgow on and off for over ten years.

I've become quite proficient at telling what kind of blade caused what kind of facial scarring in an area where it is so commonplace as not to raise any comment (.......the only one that totally threw me turned out to have been a fall from the top of a tenement :rolleyes: ) and the vast majority are caused by kitchen knives with the humble stanley knife running them a very close second.

I was born in Hamilton, and only live a couple of miles away now. Earlier this month two young men had their faces scarred for life in an altercation in the middle of the day in the middle of the town
http://www.hamiltonadvertiser.co.uk...1/two-men-slashed-in-hamilton-51525-23839970/

I have been told that it was domestic knives that were used on both of them.

Last week one of the forum members felt something odd about the young man standing at the door to the block of flats where she lives in Motherwell; she turned round as she left and he had a huge bread knife tucked into the back of his belt.

The one thing all of these have in common is that none of the incidences involve the kind of knives that bushcrafters use, or that folks such as the members of BB, collect.

However, with the statistics showing that three victims of assault with a sharp implement are admitted to local hospitals *every day* clearly something needs done.

Whether banning all knives is the way to go about it though.......and how this poll addresses that :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
I dont know if any one has braught this up but what do we a group think of knives?

The media says they are bad and should all be banned then there would be no more stabbings, but if you look at the type of knife used in said attacks then you will see that they are every day cooking knifes, which are available in EVERY supermarket nationwide.

During my research of early man I found numerous quotes and this was my favourite,

"early man lived in the uk from 10,000 bc, to him a knife was a prized tool that he used for every day tasks such as carving and preparing food"

as the quote says, a knife is a tool, not a weapon, so why today do we believe that knifes are bad, it is not the knife that kills or mames it is the idiot that is using it for the wrong purpose, there is no way that knifes could possibly be banned as they are used in so many fields that unfortunatly campainers have no knowledge of. It is not only the idiots that need educating about knives it is also the missinformed campainers that need educating too.

I think our members should vote as to weather they would ban knifes

YES
NO

Yes knives are as important to US[pc] in bushcraft as a footballer has boots ,but no to banning,We as a whole need to modernise the law in move forward with todays crime.Ihave indeed tryed to survive in a situation in the bush without a knife and long term it is virtually impossible,as man invented very crude it maybe,it enabled him to survive.

Jun 26, 2009
Bolsover
How many of you actually read my statement before answering the question?

I think 1, CAPPI actually read my statement then made a logical answer based on what is needed.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
How many of you actually read my statement before answering the question?

I think 1, CAPPI actually read my statement then made a logical answer based on what is needed.

So you start a poll with a yes/no question that can only be answered one way by anyone with an interest in bushcraft on a forum dedicated to bushcraft and then whinge that people aren't answering it in the way you'd like. Am I right?

I must be missing something here because this doesn't make sense to me.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Suggesting the knives might have to be banned because they kill people makes about as much sense as suggesting that spoons should be banned because they make people fat.

;)

delta1

Jun 26, 2009
On A Mountain
Ive never seen a beautiful spanner! I think the aesthetics of knives are pleasing, but yeah, they are still just a tool to make things with , the emphasis should be on the things the knife helps us produce.

Have alook on the SNAP-ON site if you wish to see beautiful spanners. That aside should we also be looking a banning screwdrivers, jack handles, pruning shears, scissors, nitting needles............etc etc. Do these people have brains???????

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Well next time you're being a 'real bushcrafter' and preparing a meal for a group of people and using your teeth for the food prep take some pics and let us know what response you get from that group when they see u skinning a rabbit with ur teeth, gutting it, chewing up the veg and spitting it back out into the pot ready for cooking ect, ect.....
They would bow down in worship and call me Ray.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Have alook on the SNAP-ON site if you wish to see beautiful spanners. That aside should we also be looking a banning screwdrivers, jack handles, pruning shears, scissors, nitting needles............etc etc. Do these people have brains???????
Aaah but there are far more beautiful tools than Snap-On

I give you.....the damasteel crowbar :eek:

410480489_84d6a984d2.jpg

Got to love good tools

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Antonino Russo123 do not turn our responses into something they aren't. I take offence to the implication that I did not read the question, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

You posted an incredibly limited poll. You do have up to 20 options y'know.
This is a widely discussed issue and there are none of us on this forum really likely to be unbiased now, are we ?
That does not mean that we won't discuss it though :rolleyes: :D

Oh BR, that's a beautiful tool :D

I've seen a damascus steel spanner, it was a present to a mechanic who hated his wife's fancy crystal ornaments, so his brother gave him one he could be happy to see on the mantlepiece :D :lmao:

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BR, Damascus steel crow bar!!!!! too far, surley its just needs a wipe over with a cloth, you spilt something on it!!!!

Not my hands - Ceggas ...his damascus just leaves me breathless

How about his hammers?

IMG_3613.jpg

Why?

Well...why not?

We love our knives and axes - I'm sure others love their tools too!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE