What material for Bivvy bag?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was think pertex 4 top and then 2oz PU ripstop for the base.
https://www.profabrics.co.uk/shop/show_product_info.php?id=HRN-73- for the top
https://www.profabrics.co.uk/shop/show_product_info.php?id=D2-09- this for the bottom

what seam sealant would you use?

Links don't work for me Jacob, probably my end though as it's playing up with images at the moment

For seam sealent a cheap option is to use clear silicone from a DIY store and mix it with 2 parts white spirits. Mix a little at a time as it goes off really quickly.

Teepee's the man to ask about taping, I haven't got a clue sorry

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Thanks for that shewie. Are taping and using the silicone the same use but different methods.
It must be your end as the link work for me. :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
2 oz PU ripstop and Pertex 4 will be fine. Use a lightweight groundsheet under it to extend the life of the bottom layer.

For sealing, McNett Seamseal is the best I've ( a small amount goes with me on most trips as a repair glue) used but as Shewie says, DIY thinned silicon or McNett Silnet are good for it too. Personally, I prefer using liquid seam sealants instead of tape for the speed and ease of use.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Ok thanks teepee. I though i would put my roll mat on the ground then sleep on it with my bivvy bag and sleeping bag. Ill get some of the seam sealant stuff.
I i sleep on my roll mat will i still need a lightweight groundsheet.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The groundsheet just offers a little protection to the lightweight 2oz nylon from stones and such. It keeps the bivi cleaner too and offers a little extra insulation. I use a piece of Polycryo or car windscreen reflector material. TBH, an opened bin liner would be fine too.

I tend to use the groundsheet on the floor, then the bivi with the mat inside the bivi to keep it in place.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
sounds good mate. Thanks for all your help. Ill order the material soon along with some material to make a lightweight tarp.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Thanks for the offer but im trying to go light and the army stuff isnt the lightest. Just asking, what type of weight per square metre is it?

sapper326

Jun 15, 2009
Newmarket, Suffolk
Thanks for the offer but im trying to go light and the army stuff isnt the lightest. Just asking, what type of weight per square metre is it?
To be honest i have no idea what the weight per square metre works out at?
As it is the same fabric as the army issue one i'd go with the below quote:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Shewie
The Gore-tex British issue bivvy bags weigh in at roughly 950g and they're quite a lump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE