What material for Bivvy bag?

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Just wondering what material i should use for a bivvy bag. Im going to make one. I want it to be as light as possible.
Links much appreciated
Thanks
Jacob

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Probably about the same as a bag of sugar, 1kg. I suppose thats heavy for a bivvy bag or is it? Its just that they are really affordable and are up to the job. I wouldn't mind putting a central zip in mine as a mod, pain in the backside to get in and out as it is.

The Gore-tex British issue bivvy bags weigh in at roughly 950g and they're quite a lump, can't argue with £6.50 though :)

Do you need waterproof or just water resistant Jacob? With a well pitched tarp you shouldn't really need much, pertex 4 would work well

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I made one a couple of years ago IIRC.

Thread Here

Its been surprisingly good, the coated Pertex is better than I hoped. Not far off the breathability of my army goretex bag IME.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
The Gore-tex British issue bivvy bags weigh in at roughly 950g and they're quite a lump, can't argue with £6.50 though :)

Do you need waterproof or just water resistant Jacob? With a well pitched tarp you shouldn't really need much, pertex 4 would work well

Yeh just water resistant as im sleeping under a tarp. :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
That looks really good mate. Nice one! Ill take some inspiration from that if you dont mind! :)

Cheers Dude :)

If I was making one for pure under tarp use (full coverage), I'd go with a water resistant top layer for miles better breathability too instead of a waterproof layer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE