What luxuries do you take bushcrafting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tex

Nov 3, 2004
Pymble, Sydney, Australia
Some time i dont want to make a fire and here in Australia sometimes your not allowed. For instant best moments with 98% satisfaction it goes:
-hexi stove
-foil tray
-crusader mug
-tea bags (im english by the grace of god but with the scence to move to au)
-and stillness to let the beauty of it in.
the only reason for the ipod is the back is shiny and if i get lost i can signal with it?

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire

" Originally Posted by Elines
....a memory foam mattress to go on my camp bed on top of the exped 7 mattress..."

only an exped 7?!?!?!? do they not make thicker one :lmao:

Hi Stu - The exped 7 is fine for insulation and it has feathers inside to help with that. But (for me) the feathers add nothing to comfort (as oppposed to insulation).

In use - in terms of comfort - I find the exped mat the same as any other blow up mat. The main problem is that I lie on my side when sleeping and without the foam mattress I get sore shoulders and don't sleep well. And since I can't do the balancing act (for a pee) when using a hammock then a bed + exped 7 + foam mattress is my best option to avoid getting up in the night. (or is this all just too much information?) :)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
GSI pepper mill. Fresh ground black pepper on the food does make a difference.

But it all depends on where one puts the line between essentials and luxuaries. If you can survive without it, is it a luxuary? If so almost everything I carry is a luxary in summer. I really see it as a three-four level scale.

1. Essentials. Needed for safety and survival. First aid kit, clothes (usually, I presume that in the tropics they may not be needed), etc

2. Makes life significantly easier. Knife, axe, cookpot, sleep system, better/more clothes than the absolute minimum, fire lighting kit, etc.

3. Not actually nessesary, but nice and usefull (luxuaries start here, perhaps). Headlamp, spice kit, folding kitchen sink, stobor repellent, small set of woodworking tools (spoon-knife, awl, crooked knife).

4. Pure luxuary. Reflector oven, cutting board, book, etc.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
No such thing as a luxury item really, if you take something and use it its just a bit of kit, take something and don't use it and its a wasted bit of kit.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
No such thing as a luxury item really, if you take something and use it its just a bit of kit, take something and don't use it and its a wasted bit of kit.

Nonsense. I take my first aid kit & haven't used it - I'd hardly call that wasted kit.

Taking a bottle of beer/pillow/iPad isn't a necessity, I'd call that a luxury

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nonsense. I take my first aid kit & haven't used it - I'd hardly call that wasted kit.

Taking a bottle of beer/pillow/iPad isn't a necessity, I'd call that a luxury

Are you a natural pedant or have you had to work at it :lmao:, I think you know what I meant...this is hardly a serious thread now is it.

wine and good food, pillow, radio, laptop are normal for me as I can only car camp now, but then one man's 'normal' is another man's luxury

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE