What luxuries do you take bushcrafting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Depends where I'm going.

If I'm ten feet from the car park like at most meets I'll take every luxury I've got but if I'm porting it any distance I'll trim my kit to the bone.

Having said that, I'm never far from a camera if I can help it and some might think of that as a luxury.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It's kind of a gift :D
Pedantry is a virtue...

"
[h=3]Noun[/h] pedantry (plural pedantries)

1. An excessive attention to detail or rules.
  2. An instance of such behaviour. I don't want to listen to your pedantries anymore.
  3. An overly ambitious display of learning. Winston Churchill was once informed that one should not end a sentence with a preposition. His response was, That is the sort of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put.
[h=4][edit] Related terms"[/h]Source: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pedantry

1. Could equally be a term for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To keep things plain and simple, I now take whatever I like because I don't have to carry it so really no luxury's for me, more a fulfilment of 'wants.'

Take what you like if you/car/canoe can carry it as I really don't know how to categorise an item into the luxury bracket if its something you need and a bit or all of what you want, your choice.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Luxuries is a relative term. With the canoe, and a route without portages, you can carry 100kg of kit with little effort. I've sometimes wondered about taking a dinner table, table cloth, bottle of Chateu Lafite '47, barbeque, suckling pig and full Highland dinner dress just to say I've done it.

But backpacking in the mountains is a different thing altogether. I still try and find room for a plastic botle of port, a book and a shortwave transceiver though.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Luxuries is a relative term. With the canoe, and a route without portages, you can carry 100kg of kit with little effort. I've sometimes wondered about taking a dinner table, table cloth, bottle of Chateu Lafite '47, barbeque, suckling pig and full Highland dinner dress just to say I've done it.

But backpacking in the mountains is a different thing altogether. I still try and find room for a plastic botle of port, a book and a shortwave transceiver though.

When I canoed the length of the Spey I had recently inherited my fathers wine cellar so I had a bottle of excellent wine every night ... unfortunately I was reviewing a selection of ration pack options (civvi and military) at the time so the food was ... not up to the wine list!

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
Define necessity?

Surely clothes and the ability to move are theonly neccesities even in winter.

Everything else is just to achieve comfort. The unneccesary stuff is probably necessary for peoples comfort either physically or pschologically

Then again i like a big frying pan, sausage bacon, eggs, flour, cheese, butter et and a half bottle of vodka.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
What luxuries do you take bushcrafting?

Hmm. All of them....
A good knife, a good axe, good firelighting tools, good sleeping bag, good tarp/tent, good kettle.... Its all luxury items which I value high and guard with my life.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Coming from you that's hilarious...
rofl.gif

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Anyway, getting back on track, I take my norgie freezer whenever I can canoe or car. Now if only I could sort out a bushcraft trolley/wheel-barrow/sack trolley I'd be a pig in muck.
Alan

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
A couple of weekends ago OH and I carried a disposable BBQ on our hike and short day excursion with the reasoning that we might not have time to make a fire, wait until it burns down to embers and then cook our food whilst practicing bushcrafty things and setting up camp. Worked a treat. Ashes were scattered and the tray and grill was packed up and taken home to recycle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE