What leather and where from?

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
I got my hultafors axe today with its naff mask so as I'm skint I thought I'd have a go but could someone tell me what kind of leather I need and where I can get it from plus the gear to sew it with that's if all the bits are cheaper than buying one.

Dave

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If you are wanting to learn a new skill then its worth investing in some tools and leather but I doubt it will be cheaper than buying one. Leather is cheaper when you buy more and tools are pretty cheap but not if you but them all in one go.
EBay can be good for smaller bits of leather. Your looking for 3mm veg tan. Linen thread and needles for sewing. Then all the other tools just make for a better finish like edge bevel, stitch wheel, stitch groover etc.

Makes you wonder how little the leather workers on here actually charge for their work when you consider materials cost.

Definitely a skill worth learning. Then in future when you lose a sheath you can just knock one up your self, then it works out cheaper when you have the tools.

Last edited:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Give you an idea i charge 25 plus postage for these so less that 30, the leather needed to make it will cost you about 8-10 quid (because its a small amount) then basic tools dyes etc is gonna cost another30 or so quid and that really is the basic stuff, no edges beveld etc. So as above if you wanna learn its a great skill to have but be prepared to spend a couple of hundred quid on tools to get the best results. If you are just after a sheath buy one it will be cheaper.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE