What knife?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Buy a blade from a maker and handle it yourself. You are guaranteed a good quality knife. The handle can be worked on to suit your own needs. :)

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Buy a blade from a maker and handle it yourself. You are guaranteed a good quality knife. The handle can be worked on to suit your own needs. :)

Well I haven't finished re handling my Hultafors GK yet, good knife.

But does anyone have the Magnum Camp Bowie, is it hefty, hold an edge, it is good?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
want a beast? here's a beast >> http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/John-Nowill-Knives/John-Nowill-Survival-Knife-Black/p-92-153-1160/

Got one the other day and after a bit of work it's really neat. Big old blade that'll be pretty much unbreakable when battoning, chopping, cutting, diggin, smashing, destroying anything :rolleyes:

I've removed the black coating, finely convexed and sharpened the blade properly and earlier added heat shrink tubing to the handle to make it comfy in use (as the palstic handles aren't easy to file down). I've found it's weight helps it cut better as it isn't actually a 'long' knife, but it's quite capable at chopping through wood, but battons wood like a monster!

before I wrapped the handle..
DSCF2921.jpg

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
want a beast? here's a beast >> http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/John-Nowill-Knives/John-Nowill-Survival-Knife-Black/p-92-153-1160/

Got one the other day and after a bit of work it's really neat. Big old blade that'll be pretty much unbreakable when battoning, chopping, cutting, diggin, smashing, destroying anything :rolleyes:

I've removed the black coating, finely convexed and sharpened the blade properly and earlier added heat shrink tubing to the handle to make it comfy in use (as the palstic handles aren't easy to file down). I've found it's weight helps it cut better as it isn't actually a 'long' knife, but it's quite capable at chopping through wood, but battons wood like a monster!

before I wrapped the handle..
DSCF2921.jpg

That's the knife I used, massive chunks of blade missing (only about 3mm deep atcually) this had 9 years of abuse in the army, awesome knife. I think I will get this and keep my mora for little jobs.

Gotta say though it's ugly. This or Magnum Camp Bowie, what will hold an edge for longer, and what is the weight of the Magnum like?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I have no idea what the magnum is like, but I can imagine the steel is simular to the other 440 varients, and that is quite tough and resistant but not that easy to sharpen or keep sharp (for some). The MOD knife is carbon steel and easy to get razor sharp and the egde lasts long enough. Because of the softer temper to the steel it won't be hard to sharpen and it won't be as likely to snap, break or chip like the other harder blades.

this is with the heat shrink tubing handle wrap. take no time at all and makes a massive difference to the handle if you aren't going to re-do it. (I've also got he same on my cold steel bushman)

DSCF3179.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's the knife I used, massive chunks of blade missing (only about 3mm deep atcually) this had 9 years of abuse in the army, awesome knife. I think I will get this and keep my mora for little jobs.

Gotta say though it's ugly. This or Magnum Camp Bowie, what will hold an edge for longer, and what is the weight of the Magnum like?

Just looking at the pix of the magnom Bowie (grossly misnamed as it looks nothing like a bowie) I'd think that the weight is too far rearward to be a good chopper. I suppose beauty is in the eyes of the beholder as I find it somewhat ugly, whereas I find the MOD knife has a definite beauty born of it's simplicity.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Just looking at the pix of the magnom Bowie (grossly misnamed as it looks nothing like a bowie) I'd think that the weight is too far rearward to be a good chopper. I suppose beauty is in the eyes of the beholder as I find it somewhat ugly, whereas I find the MOD knife has a definite beauty born of it's simplicity.

that is exactly the reason I like the MOD knife, it's simple. It's a fat chunk of sharpened steel, that will last forever.

if you did want to spice it up you could always do something like this to it (few minutes on paint so forgive any oddness)..

custommodknfie.jpg

I did something simular to a webtex cop of the MOD knfie a while back, but I'm lackign a few tools to do a perfect job on the blade.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
that is exactly the reason I like the MOD knife, it's simple. It's a fat chunk of sharpened steel, that will last forever.

if you did want to spice it up you could always do something like this to it (few minutes on paint so forgive any oddness)..

custommodknfie.jpg

I did something simular to a webtex cop of the MOD knfie a while back, but I'm lackign a few tools to do a perfect job on the blade.

That's nice, 100% going to buy it :) Thanks guys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE