What knife and carry for an ambush predator?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I don't know, a sharp dagger can be a very effective weapon. If you could make an initial stab, and then a pull up or down, that would scare most living things away.

Before you judge me, I am not a weekend ninja, just remembering Lympstone with the fairbarn - sykes.

Last edited:

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
a stun grenade or even a paintball/BB grenade could be useful if you spot one first. a loud bang and a flash or suddenly being smacked in the face with paint and BBs isnt exactly going to stop it but it will probably run off.
that or get really angry and eat you legs first... :D
if you are worried about snakes some ethanol/seriously scottish whiskey (basically paint stripper) sprayed in their face is basically the reptile equivalent of pepper spray. last resort though as it may blind large snakes and kill small ones.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Boar spear, if you have the time to set it (maybe). A sword, preferably a sword and shield, would be my picks (possibly somehting a bec de corbin instead). Still would like some form of armour (a gorget at the least, IIRC the tiger prefers neck bites for the kill?). Not exactly bushcraft equipment...

Something like a largish kukri might be a good compromise Again, without a lot of training your chances of pulling it off is fairly slim, one of the anti-rape 140 dB thingys might be a better bet (attached to belt, just grab and pull the trigger cord).

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
wot about a starting pistol like used at the oliympics, the bang should be enough to scare the animal.
i think stabbing a bear would just slow down ur inevitable death.....

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Your only realistic option is to travel with a man's best friend, early warning, a minor deterrent but a big distraction if attack is going to happen, a dog will give you that valuable extra time, read Jock of the Bushveld

I would have thought some kind of long stabbing tool. The Big Bowie type knife may well be too large to penetrate easily (how many Military bayonets are Big Bowie shaped?) If you are faced by a Bear or big cat, then something that can keep it at bay may be better. A long steel spike with a socket end that can be attached to a pole. Something like a Napoleonic bayonet perhaps

rcs

Forager
Jul 24, 2008
Pill
One of these maybe?

IMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5956.jpg

A wooden staff (given time to mount it) would give you a bit more reach. Though if we're being realistic you'd be brown bread before you knew what was happening mate.

cheers,
Rob

ardri

Dec 31, 2006
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
BOD
I live in Canada and have travelled a bit in bear and cougar country. In camp I have an axe, while walking I carry a sheath knife most blade lengths are appox 4 inches, I also have a 5 1/2 inch blade that I sometimes carry. But most important I have bear spray on my belt, flares and a horn in my pockets or day pack. Lastly, I never go for a walk without a hicking stick that has a tunsten steel tip. If you meet a cougar or black bear face it, talk to it and make yourself look biger, keep you stick or kniife at your chest pointing at the threat and try to retreat always facing the cat or bear. If they attack fight with all you have. If you meet a Grizzly or Polar bear you are out of luck if he wants you he will get you. They say just lie down, curl up in a ball and cover you head and neck!! Thankfully I have never met one that close in the wild. Hope this helps, in Canada the chances of an encounter are slim and common sense has kept me out of trouble.
Regards
Ardri

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
Weird thread this .... are you prepared to say where it is you are going ? I say this because the firearms aspect you are so sure is illegal is not usually the case if looked at carefully ....

Most people think it is illegal to own pistols over here of modern/military calibre and to carry them when out stalking .... in fact it is perfectly legal to apply for ownership of a pistol for the lawful dispatch of Deer and the calibre aspect can be up to .44 Magnum. I know of a number of FAC holders who have these on their tickets.You can also own a pistol over here for the use abroad for personal protection whilst hunting .... again up to .44 Magnum has been granted and a number of Safari hunters have them .... so I would not dismiss the firearm aspect unduly without checking in detail .... and if you are saying you simply cannot carry one because of it being a National Park .... then you need to properly use the services of an Armed Ranger who can be with you and book such facilities .... and if that is not possible you can then apply for an exemption permit .... there is always a facility for this if need be ....

But if you are not prepared to advise which country you are entering .... the whole thing sounds "peculiar" IMO .... and somewhat "Waltish" .... wandering off on your own in the likes of the Kruger for instance will either have you arrested if seen by a Ranger who will also be summond if you are seen by tourist guides using their radios .... a presumption may well be made that you are a poacher .... in which case being shot is also a risk to consider .... in thick brush a walking stick being pointed would certainly result in a high risk of a shooting response ....

But if the survey or wildlife work is properly sanctioned and not just a frolic of your own .... then Rangers will be on hand ... or Firearms by the individual would be entitled to be carried if on private land with the owners consent and appropriate letters and import permits being obtained .... this is speaking "generally" for most parts of the world .... but there are other requirements sometimes needed such as accompanying Professional Hunters or those trained to a similar level ( again Rangers come to mind )or indeed certain requirements on type and calibre of firearm for dangerous game and a basic proficiency test which must be passed .... it depends where you are going and what you are doing ....

In certain parts of Africa there is also risk of a Westerner being robbed and shot by Poachers ....

Basically I cannot help feel this is a bit of a "bull$hit" post as most work of this nature covers aspects of safety quite carefully and doing an "independant" jaunt usually still requires permissions and permits of some kind .... and these things are not given out willy nilly without proper consideration for safety being assessed ....

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
Well if you take offense so be it .... but from what you say you are going into restricted areas which usually means "patrolled" areas and you're armed with a knife and liable for criminal charges or at worst could be shot .... and that is without even considering the practicality of a knife for use as a weapon against I assume either Elephants, Leopards or Tigers .... I can't help but think that Knives are pretty useless in these circumstances and you're likely to get into trouble one way or the other .... it is basically just "playing the odds" that you won't .... but hey .... it's your life ....

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I am not into combat and violent stuff but I would use a applegate combat dagger and have it really sharp for slashing, its about the right length for easy draw and will go in deep enough its also strong enough not to snap or chip when thrust in and hitting bone. After all that I want one!!!!

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well if you take offense so be it .... but from what you say you are going into restricted areas which usually means "patrolled" areas and you're armed with a knife and liable for criminal charges or at worst could be shot .... and that is without even considering the practicality of a knife for use as a weapon against I assume either Elephants, Leopards or Tigers .... I can't help but think that Knives are pretty useless in these circumstances and you're likely to get into trouble one way or the other .... it is basically just "playing the odds" that you won't .... but hey .... it's your life ....

I should apologise for getting annoyed. It was late and I had a hard day and reacted to the "bull$hit" remark.

A knife is not illegal. My trail knife is a 22" Iban duku. It is seen as a tool by everyone.

Carrying a firearm or worse going with someone who does not know how to handle a weapon is an invitation to trouble. Some of rangers or auxiliaries cannot even despatch an animal in a snare without multiple shots.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
This isn't a 'lets pretend' thread believe me. I was lucky enough to spend some time with BOD in the jungle a couple of years ago. He does that for a living. The saying about hot dinners wont be too far off on this occassion
In at least one of the countries firearms are a death penalty offense, so no guns
just because you don't understand someone doesn't mean they're wrong or telling porkies guys

Thanks

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE