What kit have you found?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just wondering if anyone else on here has found kit that they subsequently used. That's found, as in just lying in the grass/street whilst out and about.

My second-best walking socks are a pair I found lying on a rock in the Black Mountains, soaking wet after some rain the day before, but otherwise perfect. After a run through the wash, they are great socks. :D

I have a beanie hat that I found in the street (again, in the rain), a waiter's friend (corkscrew, blade etc) from near a stream in the Black Mountains, and now a bag for my stove kit made from a pair of trousers I found lying by the side of the river Usk. I've also had two broken fishing rods from the Usk that between them have made one useable one.

Am I just lucky (or a scavenger :p), or have other people acquired kit in this way?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I found a Polartec hat on a trig point in the Lakes about ten years ago.

But I've probably lost more stuff than I've found to be honest.

pwb

I found a Wetterlings axe stuck in a stump on an estate I once worked on.
The axe had a broken handle and was one of the cheaper ones with the blue painted head . Still a great little axe though, especially after re-handling and striping the paint and rust off.
They're loss my gain :D.

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
when fishing when i was about 14 i found a folding knife in a tin of meat that some one must have been using for fishing. still have it. somewere.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When I was about 11 I found a brown envelope with about £40 in it just lying on the pavement. I took it home and my mum made me give it in to the police station :confused:
After about a month we got a phone call at home to say nobody had claimed it so it was mine :red: At 11 years old £40 was a lot of dosh, I'm pretty sure it got spent on my first catty, a Milbro which would be worth a penny or two now. No idea where it ended up though.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
I was working on a farm renewing the overhead power supply. I found a two man fibreglass canoe in the hedgeline where we were going to erect the poles.

I asked the farmer if he wanted to sell me it but he said I could have it as it must have been there when he bought the place. I still have it and use it now, over twenty years later! Me and my sons have had great pleasure from her in that time and many great memories.:)

woodtramp

Sep 5, 2010
North Dakota
Five years ago I found a C.S. gas grenade in a field walking to the supermarket , two months ago $123.00 in cash blowing down the street, a big bag of Marry Jane, A .22 rifle with a broken stock stashed in some trees, two naked people doing the nasty in my camp spot and a park ranger watching: sometimes it just does not pay to walk quiet, several tents and assorted sleeping bags, a altimeter of a plane that crashed into a glacier, a real old wooden ice axe, axe heads, knifes all kinds of old stuff from abandoned farm steads......

Last edited:

nells55

Feb 16, 2010
wigan
when i was about 10 or 11 i found a double barrel shotgun and a box of cartridges on my way to school needless to say the teachers wernt very happy when i turned up with it over my shoulder ! ps im 45 now so it was a long time ago

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I had to think, I get all sorts of freebies...

Found, as opposed to given or traded

a norway shirt and a black cordora shoulderbag.

Im sure theres more but thats all I can think of for now

knives, all sorts of fishing gear, a garmin gps-receiver beside the road whilst pushbiking along(sold it), one time i found out that the strange-looking plastic box was in reality an anti-personell- landmine(in central europe in an area which had never been used by military) :yiles: ... but i did not keep it...

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
found a rusty horn handled bowie once on the local allotments,....

me and my Bro saw it together and both wanted it.

we argued for about a day, decieded it was a lot of bother and threw it in the pond.

daft really,..but 11 year olds rareley compromise

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
ok here goes,
a discarded heavily over-sharpened and worn 9" butchers carving knife (possibly used in a crime) that i used in scouts as my survival knife....if only they knew! lol
I found an unexploded WW2 mortar round in my mums garden it's now polished and on her mantelpiece (only kidding).
several Bungees on "bungee trees", Ammo boxes, (on MoD land).
12lb sledge hammer head and Shovel head (made ash handles for both and use them for work)
found a Mountain bike with "free Bike" written on it, took it home found it had an aluminium frame, and now use it for work.
Found a pair of RAF foul weather trousers (now used for work).
found a German army sleeping bag (sniper sort) had a frog in it! someone had obviously used it for camping got it soaked and dumped it.
2 mess tins (at 2 different places)
a Swedish army Meths bottle
a hammock on a climbing trip in Spain (only a cheap string one).
a Terra nova Quasar tent without poles(don't know if it counts cause they were chucking it after a course I did).
and a partridge in a pear tree!

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Found a pair fo fancy softshell, windproof gloves. Ladies ones so gave it to someone. I found an old pre-CRoW act OS map of part fo the Lakes in the active version which is not about £14 each IIRC. Other than that nothing.

A mate when I was at primary school got a calculator casio watch from his brother who had found it fastened around a wad of cash (£100 IIRC). He handed it to the police who gave it back (complete with the £100 exactly as handed over can you believe it???!!!). Any way the elder brother kept the £100 and gave the watch to his brother my mate. Still the £100 would have bought about 6 calculator watches back then I think.

I never really find anything worth keeping. Some of you are rather lucky.

tinkerer

Forager
Mar 11, 2010
bournemouth
found a nice goretex dpm large stuff sack, in a tree in the new forest a couple of weeks ago . makes me wonder how they carried back whatever was in it.? oh and about 10 years ago i found a nice animal chronograph watch with my feet in the sand it was about 6 inches down . gave it a good wash and still wear it daily for work.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE