What is your walking boot preference? In need of waterproof lightweight boot.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I am in desperate need of new hiking boots that are light and very waterproof as the woods I walk and look after on the Hamble get exceptionally muddy and wet. My Salomon 3D after five years are falling apart with holes and soles falling off plus the goretex has long since failed.

As the ligaments in my knees are ruptured and hanging by threads (literally) as well as arthritis I need the lightest boots possible as the weight of a heavy boot can make walking very painful in a short time out. The Salomons are like wearing slippers, never had anything before that are that well fitting.

I was thinking on the newer Salomon cosmic or quest 4D (not sure on the actual differences between the two) but it seems on the few reviews I have read they may be as waterproof as they used to be unless it's user error not keeping them clean etc.

As the topic describes what footwear do you use when out and about and how light are they?
Just to add because of the depth of mud in places especially in mid winter a boot is the only option for me and even gaiters are needed sometimes.

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
you get what you pay for, it never changes.
I use Brasher very light waterproof. used for walking in the Alps (snow) shooting , fishing, and general.
Harkilla very exe but great. or you could do what i did fancy a little change bought some Timberland just for local stuff
went out it had been raining by the time i got back they were soaked and so were my feet, 100 quid up the swanny,went straight out
and bought new Brashers.
5 years.!!! i what do you want,? Dubarry for high boots. Payup.!!!

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
As the topic describes what footwear do you use when out and about and how light are they? Just to add because of the depth of mud in places especially in mid winter a boot is the only option for me and even gaiters are needed sometimes.

Sievi "Light Boots" - Three Season Boots for Subarctic
- These weight around 1.5 kg (3 lb 5 oz) per pair in the largest sizes, but around 0.1-0.2 kg can be reduced if you cut down the shaft. The Salomons weight the same or even a bit more!
- Sievi has representation in the United Kingdom.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I am in desperate need of new hiking boots that are light and very waterproof as the woods I walk and look after on the Hamble get exceptionally muddy and wet. My Salomon 3D after five years are falling apart with holes and soles falling off plus the goretex has long since failed.

As the ligaments in my knees are ruptured and hanging by threads (literally) as well as arthritis I need the lightest boots possible as the weight of a heavy boot can make walking very painful in a short time out. The Salomons are like wearing slippers, never had anything before that are that well fitting.

I was thinking on the newer Salomon cosmic or quest 4D (not sure on the actual differences between the two) but it seems on the few reviews I have read they may be as waterproof as they used to be unless it's user error not keeping them clean etc.

As the topic describes what footwear do you use when out and about and how light are they?
Just to add because of the depth of mud in places especially in mid winter a boot is the only option for me and even gaiters are needed sometimes.

I have plantar fascists (a painful foot condition) & for work (as I am on my feet for 12 Hour shifts) I wear Karrimor walking boots with special support orthopedic insoles http://www.sportsdirect.com/mens/mens-walking-boots-and-shoes as for water proof:~ as a care assistant I often wear them in the shower whilst assisting frail & elderly with personal care and they hold up to that fine... can't vouch for them in exceptionally muddy and wet conditions though,,, hope this helps?

Last edited:

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Brasher and Burghaus are now one and the same after joining forces earlier this year, interested in what the combined range now offer and what models they kept from either side, price-wise they are the same as Salomon.

With the wellington style boot I normally have a problem with the calf area being too tight, even adjustable calf's can be too tight, but worth a look, only thing is the ground I walk on can be very uneven and undulating with climbs and tree roots.

Thanks for the ideas

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Brasher and Burghaus are now one and the same after joining forces earlier this year, interested in what the combined range now offer and what models they kept from either side, price-wise they are the same as Salomon.

With the wellington style boot I normally have a problem with the calf area being too tight, even adjustable calf's can be too tight, but worth a look, only thing is the ground I walk on can be very uneven and undulating with climbs and tree roots.

Thanks for the ideas

These look great but are way out of my price range for work boots. so far with my Karrimor walking boots I'm getting around a year before they need replacing, as I am a size 5 I can avoid the tax by buying from the kids range & get around 4 or 5 pairs of Karrimor for the price of one pair Brasher and Burghaus...

Hickory

Aug 28, 2015
Norwich
Although on the more expensive side of things, I would strongly recommend Alt-Bergs. Lightweight, well fitting and the customer service is incredible.
I would also suggest Scarpa boots. I currently own a pair of extremely lightweight boots that weight about the same as a pair of trainers. They are the two makers I choose for boots.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
you get what you pay for, it never changes.
I use Brasher very light waterproof. used for walking in the Alps (snow) shooting , fishing, and general.
Harkilla very exe but great. or you could do what i did fancy a little change bought some Timberland just for local stuff
went out it had been raining by the time i got back they were soaked and so were my feet, 100 quid up the swanny,went straight out
and bought new Brashers.
5 years.!!! i what do you want,? Dubarry for high boots. Payup.!!!

Last year, I think, Brasher moved production off shore and I'm sorry to say that the quality isn't a patch now on what it was. I had used them for years eventually wearing out 2 pairs.

Timberland are now purely fashion boots. In the 80's they were the real deal.

So after a serious amount of searching I bought Meindl Toronto's. Great boots, hardly took breaking in. Shrugged off a 20 mile walk in June done everything in them. Holding up well.

On a budget I would go try Alt-Berg Defenders at my local surplus shop.

If you are going to do serious walks you must go to a shop and try them on with the socks you will wear. Don't buy unseen on the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Last year, I think, Brasher moved production off shore and I sorry to say that the quality isn't a patch now on what it was. I had used them for years eventually wearing out 2 pairs.

Timberland are now purely fashion boots. In the 80's they were the real deal.

So after a serious amount of searching I bought Meindl Toronto's. Great boots, hardly took breaking in. Shrugged off a 20 mile walk in June done everything in them. Holding up well.

On a budget I would go try Alt-Berg Defenders at my local surplus shop.

If you are going to do serious walks you must go to a shop and try them on with the socks you will wear. Don't buy unseen on the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he says, especially the last bit!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I use a pair of lowa renegade gtx - They were so comfy out of the box, they took no breaking in. They aren't amazingly light but they don't slow me down. Bargain price too.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Last edited:

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
I have a pair of Hi-tec Eurotreck, which are comfortable, lightweigh, quality all leather boot for the money
http://www.cissburyleathers.co.uk/hi-tec-eurotrek-wp-waterproof-hiking-boot.html
Uffortunatley they have changed the design to this on the new ones to this
http://www.hi-tec.com/uk/eurotrek-ii-waterproof-mens-walking-boot-dark-chocolate.html
With joint seams on the laces and down th side. An equivalent pair to to originals from hitec , cost 120 now, oh well.
Bit late but another vote for Hi-Tec... been through a few pairs of different models, all great walking boots.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've been well impressed with a pair of issue Goretex lined boots that I picked up on this forum.

They took a bit of breaking in to my feet but they're fantastically waterproof and now I choose them over my Alt-Bergs for long tramps in wet conditions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE