what is your favourite meal to cook at camp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I take a Mattesons smoked sausage, an onion, a small bag of Puy lentils and a ham stock cube. Thick soup in minutes, just dunk some bread in. Bacon works nicely too, but doesn't bulk out the soup as well.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I like camping pizza with fried mattesons smoked sausage, cheery tomatoes, mushrooms and cheese filling. Either that or grilled sirloin steak made over the fire covered in spices mmmmm.

This is mainly solo though or low numbers, for large groups a communal stew or pot of soup is hard to beat.

I'm going to experiment with garlic mushrooms the next time I'm out I think.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I do like a nice lamb potjie, spot on after a nice day

383205_10150439995226383_645826382_10353354_5080245_n.jpg

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
If I'm in a group with either Scouts or other 'crafters, sausage cassarole, nice and easy and generally turns out well with a few jacket spuds

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Spot the non-middle englander ;) sounds truly delish mate but the nearest us poor limeys get is the odd podgy pheasant which would probably be about the same size as your birds beak! But we're not jealous..... XD

You should see the set-up it takes to fry a whole turkey. LOL

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
My favourite is a couple of fresh caught trout hot smoked a few minutes after being caught. Stuff a few chunks of chorizo and herbs inside before smoking and it'll taste better than any restaurant cooked fish.

If we're camping near the beach or a sea loch, a couple of mackerel will also do the job nicely or a sea bass if you're very lucky.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
depends where you are but the best meal i've ever eaten outside was fresh caught mackerel grilled on an open fire with a bit of salt and pepper. my favourite fish to eat by far

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Now that sounds interesting. Having never smoked anything before can you give me some more details of the setup and how long it takes, how you know when its done etc

My favourite is a couple of fresh caught trout hot smoked a few minutes after being caught. Stuff a few chunks of chorizo and herbs inside before smoking and it'll taste better than any restaurant cooked fish.

If we're camping near the beach or a sea loch, a couple of mackerel will also do the job nicely or a sea bass if you're very lucky.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Hi Chambers

I couldn't find a pic of the smoker I use although it's a similar idea to the one below (mine is a much more basic design). I've heard of people using ammo boxes and various other setups to build their own (I do have an old 303 ammo box in the attic but think I'd rather leave it as is...)

You can also use some barbecues with lids in a similar fashion.

NT93164.jpg

You can buy flavoured smoke chips to scatter in the smoker or just make your own (choose carefully 'cos some woods can be nasty/dangerous/potentially fatal). Definitely don't use painted or treated woods (I know one person that did this and is lucky to be alive)

Some folk advocate soaking the fish in brine solution before smoking but you can smoke them without.

I like mine with chorizo in the cavity and any edible herbs I can find (or buy ahead of time)

For a smallish trout (less than a lb or so) It'll be smoked in 15 minutes or so. Sitting beside it can be the longest 15 minutes of your life as the aroma is incredible. You can also use them for smoking gammon steaks and a whole host of other foods.

Last edited:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Great, thanks for the advice, it might have to be one I try next time!

Hi Chambers

I couldn't find a pic of the smoker I use although it's a similar idea to the one below (mine is a much more basic design). I've heard of people using ammo boxes and various other setups to build their own (I do have an old 303 ammo box in the attic but think I'd rather leave it as is...)

You can also use some barbecues with lids in a similar fashion.

NT93164.jpg

You can buy flavoured smoke chips to scatter in the smoker or just make your own (choose carefully 'cos some woods can be nasty/dangerous/potentially fatal). Definitely don't use painted or treated woods (I know one person that did this and is lucky to be alive)

Some folk advocate soaking the fish in brine solution before smoking but you can smoke them without.

I like mine with chorizo in the cavity and any edible herbs I can find (or buy ahead of time)

For a smallish trout (less than a lb or so) It'll be smoked in 15 minutes or so. Sitting beside it can be the longest 15 minutes of your life as the aroma is incredible. You can also use them for smoking gammon steaks and a whole host of other foods.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
We did a boned and rolled leg of lamb, with all the veg, followed by apple crumble and custard on Scout camp a while back...nom nom nom!

2 dutch oven and bit of effort, but well worth it IMHO.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE