what is your favorite "bushcraft" cheese?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Blaenafon smoked cheddar, made by Black Mountain smokery. Matured at the bottom of a mine, then oak smoked. Fabulous, and it doesn't go all sweaty.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
At home Saint Agur or roquefort Mmmm stinky runny blues !!! love em For bushy things its easy squeezy cheezy primula with ham or chives

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fresh made tattie scones, or oatcakes still hot, off the girdle (bakestone) apple slices and good cheddar cheese :D and a big mug of tea.

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love a truckle of Black Bomber...or the garlic one...or the ginger one mmmmm

black-bomber-xs.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The little wax covered truckles are very good :D handy for camping too :approve: and Josh is right, the wax does burn. Stinks sometimes though..........what is it made from ? it's not beeswax, is it parafin wax ?

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep coloured paraffin wax Mary - you can buy it from cheese makers shops and coat your own favourite hard cheese. I have ambient stored cheddar for 2+ years in wax :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Norwegian goats cheese. It's weird quite sweet "Caramacy" brown stuff from the mountains. Somewhere between fudge and cheddar. Sounds odd, but it's delicious. Espeicially good with Marmite for a cheesy sweet and salty Anglo-Norwegian cross over.

Had some of that from Molly Sharps cheese shop in Selby. Jury is still out. Prefer my cheeses tangy and salty.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
+1 for the primula. A sqeezy cheese buttie can be the saviour of a drunken camping trip.

However, eating a full block of philadelphia does not help matters

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Primula is not cheese, nor is Baby bell - they are cheese substitutes!
Great cheeses for bushy trips include parmesan and a real cheddar (one that is so mature it bites back and makes your gums tingle, cannot be cut with even the sharpest knife it is so crumbly and actually crunches under your teeth).
There are several small cheese makers around where I live that turn out real cheeses about the size of slightly flattened cricket balls covered in wax.
If you like cheese but want the convenience of wax (a la Baby bell as mentioned) then these are your boys!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I like a nice Vintage cheddar. Colliers is good, so is Lake district vintage. I partial to the odd french cheese too. Roule is particularly good stirred into some pasta to give it a lovely creamy sauce :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE