What is this strange looking plant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
I saw this tonight whilst walking and wonderd what it was, it was taller than me, i must say im only 5 ft 3"

any ideas
002-13.jpg

003-11.jpg

004-8.jpg

Thanks for looking

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sure is :D
Second year it comes up like that. I find the little birds love the seeds.

Not used to tease out wool, try hand spinning wool full of jaggy bits of teasle and then you'll want to rant at those who keep spouting this 'factoid' too :rolleyes: :tapedshut: but it was used to raise the nap on woven cloth. Gave it a lovely finish in other words, like good wool flanelette :D

cheers,
M

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
Sure is :D
Second year it comes up like that. I find the little birds love the seeds.

Not used to tease out wool, try hand spinning wool full of jaggy bits of teasle and then you'll want to rant at those who keep spouting this 'factoid' too :rolleyes: :tapedshut: but it was used to raise the nap on woven cloth. Gave it a lovely finish in other words, like good wool flanelette :D

cheers,
M

i supose its like modern brushed fabrics which is done with big rollers with abrasive sand paper on

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
is it not the traditional 'tool' for raising the nap for snooker tables? - or have I been conned by another factoid :sulkoff:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I could believe that one :D
Used as a kind of jaggy brush it raises the nap very well, but if you pull things like fleece through it the wee jaggy hooks break off and end up in the wool :(
It's the teasel bit that gets folks muddled, they think that it meant used to tease out the wool, not realising it's used to tease the surface of the woven product.

cheers,
M

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Why dont you get some and attack your local pub's pool table, im sure you will get a few strange looks:lmao:

lol :lmao:- have never even been in my local pub ;) so i'm sure I would get some looks, not least from swmbo :D

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Indeed, I had a Goldfinch only yesturday enjoying some Teasel seed.

Teasel seeds are actually what gives the goldfinch its light beige colour. I had one in captivity that was knocked out of a nest by kids and it went a boring brown.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE